News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Platinum

Started by JoNi, October 09, 2014, 09:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winston

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on June 12, 2017, 01:09:32 PM
I actually think the moving of the Metro from NX to TfWM is a bit of a kick in the teeth for NX.

Why didn't Centro run it from the beginning instead of letting NX have all the initial teething problems and then when it starts to show signs of being a success saying, right we will run it now.

If i were NX, when TfWM take over i would flood the route with extra buses and promotional fares, see how TfWM like it then.

It was only an operating contract, so didn't generate that much revenue & I think from memory based on latest accounts was making a small loss.

By TfWM taking over the operation of the Metro, the Metro + Bus travelcard option & Metro Passes which currently include unlimted travel on NX buses could be withdrawn at the same time, leaving Metro passengers faced with having to pay more for Metro passes + Nbus which is typically more expensive.

If the above scenario happens, TfWM are effectively isloating the Metro from the NX bus network which could have a negative effect on Metro passenger numbers.

Quote from: B.C Driver on June 12, 2017, 12:47:10 PM
Did I read the X12 changes drivers in town? If so wouldnt this route be more suited to BC?
They change in Town on the Priory Queensway, yes.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Stu

Quote from: Winston on June 12, 2017, 01:37:10 PM
It was only an operating contract, so didn't generate that much revenue & I think from memory based on latest accounts was making a small loss.

By TfWM taking over the operation of the Metro, the Metro + Bus travelcard option & Metro Passes which currently include unlimted travel on NX buses could be withdrawn at the same time, leaving Metro passengers faced with having to pay more for Metro passes + Nbus which is typically more expensive.

If the above scenario happens, TfWM are effectively isloating the Metro from the NX bus network which could have a negative effect on Metro passenger numbers.

So much for the 'integrated multi-modal' network they're supposedly trying to push then. Perhaps TfWM should send a team down to London armed with some Oyster cards, to see how it should be done. One Oyster card, that seamlessly allows travel on buses, the Tube, and Overground train services, as well as the DLR. We're still so far behind here in the West Midlands...
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Stu on June 12, 2017, 07:54:43 PM
So much for the 'integrated multi-modal' network they're supposedly trying to push then. Perhaps TfWM should send a team down to London armed with some Oyster cards, to see how it should be done. One Oyster card, that seamlessly allows travel on buses, the Tube, and Overground train services, as well as the DLR. We're still so far behind here in the West Midlands...

You have hit the nail on the head there @Stu , the West Midlands does need a system like London where you can travel around with your oyster card and you don't have to worry, even contactless if some form of agreement can be reached with all the operators so that price caps can apply in line with NBus fares or daytrippers.

The system also needs to be as reliable as the Oyster system is, you hear of very very few breakdowns and also it needs to have a dedicated hotline so issues can be sorted out quickly and efficiently.

Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Jack D

Platinum X12 Next Stop announcements weren't even showing the national express west midlands it usually does today. A sign of the announcements coming tomorrow?

Stu

Quote from: Jack D on June 12, 2017, 08:28:25 PM
Platinum X12 Next Stop announcements weren't even showing the national express west midlands it usually does today. A sign of the announcements coming tomorrow?

They appear to have sorted out the ones on the X1 and X2, since yesterday I haven't heard them announcing 'Deakins Road'. Which has removed some uncertainty for passengers, or at least those slightly bemused when the bus has sailed straight past...

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on June 12, 2017, 08:05:45 PM
You have hit the nail on the head there @Stu , the West Midlands does need a system like London where you can travel around with your oyster card and you don't have to worry, even contactless if some form of agreement can be reached with all the operators so that price caps can apply in line with NBus fares or daytrippers.

The system also needs to be as reliable as the Oyster system is, you hear of very very few breakdowns and also it needs to have a dedicated hotline so issues can be sorted out quickly and efficiently.

My biggest issue is that I have one SWIFT card with my monthly NX Direct Debit Regional Faresaver on, which I use on NX Bus services. I also have another, with some nBus Day Tickets loaded on (for future occasional use, when I plan a day out using other operators buses). If I also then wanted a Pay-As-You-Go (for occasional infrequent use), that would be THREE SWIFT cards I'd have in total.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

andy41

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on June 12, 2017, 08:05:45 PM

The problem is that just because TfWM has a TfL like name, it has a fraction of the funding per head of population and none of the vast back office facilities that are required for the Oyster system, or the infrastructure. Don't forget that everything in London is effectively still state owned and run whereas here the operators are expected to invest alongside TfWM. It is scandalous that there is still such a variance between regions but it is there.

I see on the news that a platinum bus caught fire in Birmingham City Centre today.

Brummie45

Current Local Routes 53,94,96 and X12. Nearby routes 55,70,71,71A,99 and X70.

broma1k

Travelled on the X12 today on 6706/07 & both had full stopping points info working.

Brummie45

6701 next stop working as well.

Also gained unlimited bus travel for under £2 per day on upper deck front windows
Current Local Routes 53,94,96 and X12. Nearby routes 55,70,71,71A,99 and X70.

Jack

Quote from: Brummie45 link=topic=3262.msg216267#msg216267 date=1497618750

Also gained unlimited bus travel for under £2 per day on upper deck front windows
/quote]
Had that since the fares went up in January. @Brummie45

karl724223

I stand to be corrected but I think the X10 was fully platinum today 6712 ex rear  Rta damage back on the road @Tony

Tony

None in the garage when I was there at 1530

winston

Quote from: karl724223 on June 16, 2017, 05:46:20 PM
I stand to be corrected but I think the X10 was fully platinum today 6712 ex rear  Rta damage back on the road @Tony

Has the X10 going Platinum made any noticeable difference to passenger numbers?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk