News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Essential Engineering works in Wolverhampton area.

Started by P419 EJW, August 22, 2014, 11:17:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

P419 EJW

The title pretty much says it all. Further details in this link: http://networkwestmidlands.com/wolverhampton/WolverhamptonChangesMetro.aspx

It doesn't say how long this will be for but will start from 6th September.

andrew1991

Quote from: P419 EJW on August 22, 2014, 11:17:15 PM
The title pretty much says it all. Further details in this link: http://networkwestmidlands.com/wolverhampton/WolverhamptonChangesMetro.aspx

It doesn't say how long this will be for but will start from 6th September.

Think it's the 5 months with no trams

SMK

I'm surprised they didn't start this when the schools/college broke up for the summer.
Also, doesn't the next stage after this involve replacing the track between Priestfield and The Royal?
We'll get rid of your bus to Wolves and replace it with one to Walsall instead.......... Oh the joy of a Network Review. -_-

P419 EJW

That's what I thought, SMK! I was hoping they start the works in July and would finish just before the new year. But it looks like it might finish in January / February 2015, depending the pace they are going with the works...(!) ::)

Yes, you are correct. Reading on Express and Star article, it says "Tram tracks embedded in the A41 Bilston Road will be renovated as part of the £5 million project."

Trident 4609

Quote from: P419 EJW on August 23, 2014, 10:35:36 AM
That's what I thought, SMK! I was hoping they start the works in July and would finish just before the new year. But it looks like it might finish in January / February 2015, depending the pace they are going with the works...(!) ::)

Yes, you are correct. Reading on Express and Star article, it says "Tram tracks embedded in the A41 Bilston Road will be renovated as part of the £5 million project."

I'm sure someone told me it was something to do with waiting till the tunnels in Brum had reopened to cause less chaos

Roy

I think that the tunnel closure was a major issue as was this weekend's rail blockade at Wolverhampton.  All lines are closed from Smethwick Rolfe Street to Stafford to transfer the signalling from Wolverhampton PSB to the regional control centre in Saltley.  Unfortunately, this work was cancelled about a fortnight ago and it was decided that it was too late to reinstate the train service and cancel the bus replacement services.  Therefore, Wolverhampton has no trains and no engineering works this weekend.  These works will probably now take place next Easter. 

Trams will terminate at Priestfield initially, but will be extended to The Royal after about 2-3 months.

Stevo

According to Roy's post on another thread 4 new trams will enter service on September 5th. Does this mean they'll work for just one day on the old track north of Priestfield? I'd like to see how they ride on the rough section.

Stevo

I did see how the new trams rode on the rough section on the one day they used it for public service, and they were better than the T69s but still rough. Full marks to someone, though: the day after (Saturday) men were hard at work digging up the track at the Royal.

Stevo

That mineshaft was there when Laing Ansaldo built the tramway in 1998 or so, as were the culverts. I don't quite understand why they have to dig up all the concrete, rather than just replacing the rails and the surface around them. Seeing the slow progress at St Georges the line was never going to be finished by early December as was promised.

Roy

According to the Express and Star, the line will reopen from Priestfield to The Royal on 15 December, provided that the weather is not too cold in the meantime.  Apparently, if the temperature dips below 5C, the concrete will not set and the reopening will be delayed. 

mikestone

Has any track been replaced on the street running section?

Other Walsall Tony

Quote from: mikestone on December 10, 2014, 06:55:12 PM
Has any track been replaced on the street running section?

No work appears to have been done between The Royal and Priestfield.
Tony

Stevo

The line did open to The Royal. There's a new crossover just to the south of The Royal stop. This means that only the Wolverhampton-bound platform can be used, so a tram can't leave Priestfield until the one in front has left The Royal on its way back to Birmingham as a tram can't wait on the street for access to the stop. This is confirmed by radio. The opening to St George's is months away as it's still a building site with some of the old track still in place.

Eric Shaw

It was chaos this morning with services disrupted between Birmingham and West Bromwich due to power failure. One tram was apparently running a shuttle, but I didn't see it. 04, 08, 10, 12, 16, 19 and 26 were running between West Bromwich and the Royal. Passengers were dumped at the Royal with little information as to how to get the rest of the way. 05, 06 and 11 were parked together with 03 at the Birmingham end of the yard and were all probably out of service.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk