News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Hagley Road First Sprint Network.

Started by monkeyjoe, July 31, 2014, 11:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoNi

Quote from: Tony on January 25, 2018, 02:52:52 PM
More.......

https://www.birminghampost.co.uk/news/regional-affairs/new-sprint-rapid-bus-routes-14198659#ICID=sharebar_facebook

Having seen presentations on Sprint its good to see the bus stops will be able to used by both Sprint and conventional buses. The idea buses can use the Sprint lanes with laybys at stops not served by Sprint so they can overtake is also good.

Quote from: Winston on January 25, 2018, 02:59:14 PM
That's good news for the region, shame the original Halesowen Sprint route has now been put back to 2026.

Hopefully they'll also drop the idea of using artic's for sprint.....

With the Commonwealth Games driving investment / imrpovements, hopefully some attention can be directed at other main bus corridors where there is much room for bus priorities.
I wonder how it will affect the existing bus routes like the X1 and X2?
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

karl724223

Quote from: 2206 on January 26, 2018, 09:52:30 PM
I wonder how it will affect the existing bus routes like the X1 and X2?
depends on who wins the contract to operate them or if tfwm run then inhouse

MW

NXWM will win I reckon. If they don't win, competition from NXWM will mean it's a flop.

Eric Shaw

When will they ever learn? Passengers in this country do not like having to stand up. An article in this months Buses is about the return of double deckers to Swansea. An article in the technical press about BRT-Glider in Belfast claims the bendies will carry 105 passengers, which is more than a double decker, but in reality how many more will they carry than a 70-80 seat decker. I suggest people willl wait for the next one rather than stand up. The successful bendie operations in this country were the Red Arrow services in London and the various student services still operating. I have travelled on very heavily loaded bendies in Oslo and Stockholm so they do work effectively there. I also think that our crowded roads are against the operation of bendies here, whereas in some of the other cities of the world there are wide boulevards giving the opportunities for bus lanes, without having torestrict other traffic severely. I do, however like the bendies and still hope to get over to Coventry again before they finally go.

Stevo

I agree totally. What will passengers on the X1 think when their comfy seat on a Platinum E400 becomes a place holding onto a stanchion on a crowded artic? A three-door artic can't even seat 50, and the First ftrs had fewer seats than the single deckers they replaced. All that's needed is the road improvements, then let nxwm run the routes.

winston

Quote from: Stevo on January 27, 2018, 11:27:43 AM
I agree totally. What will passengers on the X1 think when their comfy seat on a Platinum E400 becomes a place holding onto a stanchion on a crowded artic? A three-door artic can't even seat 50, and the First ftrs had fewer seats than the single deckers they replaced. All that's needed is the road improvements, then let nxwm run the routes.

And look where First's FTR's are at only 10 years old. PVS Barnsley!

I think they should drop the Artic idea to save road/depot space & instead use long wheel base dual door double decker as per Bristol's Metrobus Project.

Steve3229vp

Quote from: Winston on January 27, 2018, 11:36:24 AM
And look where First's FTR's are at only 10 years old. PVS Barnsley!

I think they should drop the Artic idea to save road/depot space & instead use long wheel base dual door double decker as per Bristol's Metrobus Project.
I think it would be much more simpler to put the "Sprint" road priorities in place BUT use existing Platinum vehicles instead, passengers like them and if the road layout is put in place then they will be faster and more popular.

https://www.tfwm.org.uk/development/sprint/
With Walsall to Birmingham being route 1, it looks like they're going to introduce that first?
Regarding the points on the map, are they all the points they plan for it to stop at, or are they just key points they've listed?
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

BK63 YWP

Walsall is first because of the Alexander stadium. Sprint will be a waste of money in my eyes. Just make the X51 every 6mins. Bus lanes may make the route faster but where's the other traffic going to go? Unless they make the road 3 lanes in each direction
The Funny sounding Enviro 400

15 Wolverhampton to Merry Hill
15A Wolverhampton Merry Hill
16 Wolverhampton to Stourbridge

X10 Gornal Wood

Quote from: Chris on January 27, 2018, 05:36:37 PM
Walsall is first because of the Alexander stadium. Sprint will be a waste of money in my eyes. Just make the X51 every 6mins. Bus lanes may make the route faster but where's the other traffic going to go? Unless they make the road 3 lanes in each direction
Encouraging people to travel by public transport rather than sit in there cars in a build up of traffic presumably.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

james99

Quote from: Chris on January 27, 2018, 05:36:37 PM

The question is, will this see the end of the X51 if NXWM win the contract to run it?

Stu

Quote from: Eric Shaw on January 27, 2018, 10:56:28 AM
When will they ever learn? Passengers in this country do not like having to stand up.

That is probably true, but then again it doesn't explain the number of people who choose to stand at the most awkward part of the bus because they don't want to have to sit next to a fellow human being.  :(

The Sprint routes, once implemented, may replace existing limited stop services along those corridors, but in the example of the X1, a service of sorts will still be needed, as the Sprint route won't be going all the way to Coventry.

There's a lot of negativity being put forward here, while I am sceptical at the best of times, we will have to wait and see how this all unfurls.
Quote from: Steve3229vp on January 27, 2018, 01:36:27 PM
I think it would be much more simpler to put the "Sprint" road priorities in place BUT use existing Platinum vehicles instead, passengers like them and if the road layout is put in place then they will be faster and more popular.

But on the other hand, these seems like a very valid suggestion, Sprint does seem at risk of being another expensive 'vanity' project like HS2.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

JoNi

Quote from: james99 on January 27, 2018, 06:48:37 PM
The question is, will this see the end of the X51 if NXWM win the contract to run it?

If they don't win it NX can plod along in the bus lane.....

karl724223

Why not try a six wheel double decker ?
Stuff sprint

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk