News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Hagley Road First Sprint Network.

Started by monkeyjoe, July 31, 2014, 11:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MW

Sprint priorities and tri axle double deckers would be much better. Some Platinum Enviro 500 MMCs?

Liberator9

Agree; tri-axle double deckers would be far better than any articulated buses.

JoNi

I've heard a figure of 23 million being bandied about for annual usage of Sprint. Whether this is just for the Walsall/Sutton/NEC first phase or more likely the whole network. I don't know what the current usage of these corridors is, do TfWM publish figures anywhere on the web?

karl724223

Quote from: JoNi on January 28, 2018, 12:13:06 PM
I've heard a figure of 23 million being bandied about for annual usage of Sprint. Whether this is just for the Walsall/Sutton/NEC first phase or more likely the whole network. I don't know what the current usage of these corridors is, do TfWM publish figures anywhere on the web?
23 million passengers or poundies

JoNi

Quote from: karl724223 on January 28, 2018, 12:29:59 PM
23 million passengers or poundies
Passengers didn't say how many would be standing....

Gareth

23million passengers a year is 631 vehicles / departures a day carrying 100 people. When that's broken down between the whole network, that could be achievable maybe.

monkeyjoe

Monmentum is starting with exhibitions of three core corridors . Article I noticed in the birmingham Mail, I think yesterday.

Quote from: monkeyjoe on August 24, 2018, 06:07:32 PM
Monmentum is starting with exhibitions of three core corridors . Article I noticed in the birmingham Mail, I think yesterday.
Yes there are notices up at the X1/X2 shelter at Yardley Swan and  the large display at Yardley Swan by the 11A stop is scrolling that there is currently a consultation in place.
There's a consltation on the 3 corridors (Coventry Rd, Walsall Rd and B'ham to Sutton via Walmley) at the moment.
https://www.birminghambeheard.org.uk/economy/sprint/ - Consultation.
https://www.tfwm.org.uk/development/sprint/

Looking at the stop map it'll be interesting to see what impact this will have on the X1 and X2.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Ginger66

I think walsall is the wrong line due to the bcu campus been no more at perry barr.

:D

Quote from: 2206 on August 24, 2018, 06:12:13 PM
Yes there are notices up at the X1/X2 shelter at Yardley Swan and  the large display at Yardley Swan by the 11A stop is scrolling that there is currently a consultation in place.
There's a consltation on the 3 corridors (Coventry Rd, Walsall Rd and B'ham to Sutton via Walmley) at the moment.
https://www.birminghambeheard.org.uk/economy/sprint/ - Consultation.
https://www.tfwm.org.uk/development/sprint/

Looking at the stop map it'll be interesting to see what impact this will have on the X1 and X2.

I think somebody needs dedicate a new thread to those links.

Stu

Quote from: Ginger66 on August 24, 2018, 07:38:56 PM
I think walsall is the wrong line due to the bcu campus been no more at perry barr.

Have you read the press release? This is for the Commonwealth Games! The Walsall Sprint line will serve the new Commonwealth Games 'village' being built on the BCU site, and also serving Alexander Stadium.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

l.murphy123

Sprint is the biggest waste of money since the HS2. The three routes planned each have express bus services already and it wouldnt save much time at all...
   Birmingham to Walsall (X51)
   Birmingham to Airport/Solihull (X2, X12)
   Birmingham to Sutton Coldfield (X3, X4, X5, X14).

There are consultations during september go and share your thoughts. Personally I think if they are going to persue this (which they obviously will) then a route to Wolverhampton would be better than Walsall or Sutton as the X7, X8 (previously 126) take 1hr 20mins start to finish. The again you have the tram so it would be redundant. The tram is being extended to Birmingham Airport though not in time for the Commonwealth Games (perhaps they should get working and make it happen?).

Overall, in my opinion, a waste of money.

Chairman of GWCH Community group and frequent user of...
   NXWM | 31, 34, 59, 60, 79, 529, X51, X529
   Diamond | 31, 57
   Chaserider | 2, 70
   Select | 71
   West Midland Metro | The Crescent

Quote from: l.murphy123 on August 28, 2018, 06:19:29 PM
Sprint is the biggest waste of money since the HS2. The three routes planned each have express bus services already and it wouldnt save much time at all...

There are consultations during september go and share your thoughts. Personally I think if they are going to persue this (which they obviously will) then a route to Wolverhampton would be better than Walsall or Sutton as the X7, X8 (previously 126) take 1hr 20mins start to finish. The again you have the tram so it would be redundant. The tram is being extended to Birmingham Airport though not in time for the Commonwealth Games (perhaps they should get working and make it happen?).

Overall, in my opinion, a waste of money.
It'd follow the X1 and X2 route, it has no connecion at all with the X12.
Nobody says you have to use the X7 to travel from Birmingham to Wolverhampton, use the tram or the train.
It also has no connection with the X3/X4/X5 (other than connecting Birmingham and Sutton), operating via Walmley, Pype Hayes and Aston, as far as I can see its supposed to connect some yet to be built residential area - https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/local-news/first-glimpse-5500-home-sutton-14422437.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Stu

Quote from: l.murphy123 on August 28, 2018, 06:19:29 PM

The reason these routes have been chosen first is because of the Commonwealth Games in 2022.

The Walsall route links with the Commonwealth Village planned at Perry Barr, as well as Alexander Stadium, which will be a key venue, if not the main one.

The Airport route links with the NEC, where various events will be taking place. As well as the Airport obviously.

I'm not sure of the significance of the Sutton route to the Games, other than it linking to the new Langley and Peddimore estate developments.

The Airport Sprint route will eventually become a Metro tram route, but obviously not in time for 2022.

I have reservations about this Sprint network, while I won't say I think its a huge waste of money, I can think of better ways the money could be spent.

By all means, please do take part in the consultation and have your say, but I think we'll find this is going to go ahead regardless on peoples' general objections.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

:D

The only change I would make to Sprint network is that they use standard buses.

New bus lanes, traffic lights priority, etc included in the Sprint routes package would do wonders to reduce journey times we've all been complaining about.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk