News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Drivers - Bus Reviews & Opinions

Started by 2900, July 13, 2014, 12:38:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liverpool Street

Really with refercne to drag racing buses, the pull-off is differnt per bus but once they get to 20mph~ the acellerstion is about the same.

Unless its 4942.. Then you might as well walk.

Bloody E400's...
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

Ronnoc

Quote from: Liverpool Street on November 28, 2015, 10:39:28 PM
Really with refercne to drag racing buses, the pull-off is differnt per bus but once they get to 20mph~ the acellerstion is about the same.

Unless its 4942.. Then you might as well walk.

Bloody E400's...
If it were a race, kickdown will definitely be involved. But unless it's a turd on wheels, like an E40D, or those Urban 2's, then you may as well walk lol.

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Ronnoc on November 28, 2015, 10:50:57 PM
If it were a race, kickdown will definitely be involved. But unless it's a turd on wheels, like an E40D, or those Urban 2's, then you may as well walk lol.

Yeah. Well we must assume the poster was referring to REAL machines, not EU-strangled, company governed "buses".
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

GeminiFan1991

Just the inner boy in me wanted to know ! As of late and due to my workplace I'm used to NX buses hitting nice speeds for a sustained period so it's a natural thought to have !
Please check out my Bus Photos @

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128406405@N06/

Liberator9

I'd put a bet on one of the 56 reg B7RLEs - they can shift I've found. The E200MMCs can pull off pretty good as well, and the later Scanias at YW. Can depend on the individual bus though - such variation at times even when they're the exact same type of bus.

MW

Trident4590

I would put my money on an E200.

As bus drivers do you only drive your local routes or is it optional?

GeminiFan1991

Quote from: Trident4590 on November 29, 2015, 01:07:00 AM
I would put my money on an E200.

As bus drivers do you only drive your local routes or is it optional?

From what I understand, routes are grouped onto rotas which drivers can choose to drive.
Please check out my Bus Photos @

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128406405@N06/

MW

Quote from: GeminiFan1991 on November 29, 2015, 01:10:28 AM
From what I understand, routes are grouped onto rotas which drivers can choose to drive.

I'm on spares so I get every route (that I know) at AG. Most often I get Outer Circle duties.

There's a rota here called the Fox Hollies rota. It's got every route on it.

BU07 LGO

For those that think the mk2 enviros are bad wait until you get mmc's they're terrible! I recently had a mk2 on the 51 and it absolutely flew after been used to the mmc's! The sad thing is there's a rumour going around that WA are to get 4 more platinums? @Tony

Fastest bus I've driven is definately the mk1 enviro (4734) - 4735 was the worst but strangely I haven't seen it for ages?! That one seems reluctant to rev or kick down like the rest of them?

Someone mentioned the b7rle, I personally found them to be quite average at pull off but have only drove them on the 29 and 301 so have barely got above 25mph!

I would put up mk1 enviro 4745/47 and few others in this batch against any bus including single deckers , these are just a different class. Love to take these to a drag strip and take on any bus in a straight line.

MW before you move on you need to experience these buses , to me they is totally unrestricted big box of fun, for a responsible driver  it's good to know under your right foot you have the power when required and not constantly hoping for a big gap or relying on other motorists to help you out.

Driver03

From past experiences 4586 (WN) was the first bus to get the Euro 4 prototype engine and to this day it's easily the quickest I've driven.

I agree with the other guys/girls the 4800-4822 Enviros have a great turn of speed.

j789

Just interested to hear off NXWM drivers about what their Enviro 200s are like to drive. I'm a driver with First in Worcester and drove one of our 3 enviro 200s a few days ago. I hadn't driven one since they returned from Hereford but I really didn't like it, the acceleration was jerky and going down hill it felt like it was about to take off despite having my foot on the brake! Are yours the same?

MW

Quote from: j789 on November 29, 2015, 02:07:24 PM
Just interested to hear off NXWM drivers about what their Enviro 200s are like to drive. I'm a driver with First in Worcester and drove one of our 3 enviro 200s a few days ago. I hadn't driven one since they returned from Hereford but I really didn't like it, the acceleration was jerky and going down hill it felt like it was about to take off despite having my foot on the brake! Are yours the same?

The MMCs are quite smooth to be honest. The brakes are weird though, compared to Volvo B7TLs, which I'm more used to.When you tap them slightly, they seem to be very sharp for like a second, and then you have to adjust your foot, to get the balance right. It's like whenever I press the brake, the amount of pressure required changes. Weird.

Acceleration wise, they are smooth though. Up Bradford Street on the 31, they really scream.

Also, the steering is heavy on all of them.

Only have MMCs at the garage I'm at, so not driven any older ones.

RS

Quote from: MW on November 29, 2015, 02:48:28 PM
The MMCs are quite smooth to be honest. The brakes are weird though, compared to Volvo B7TLs, which I'm more used to.When you tap them slightly, they seem to be very sharp for like a second, and then you have to adjust your foot, to get the balance right. It's like whenever I press the brake, the amount of pressure required changes. Weird.

Acceleration wise, they are smooth though. Up Bradford Street on the 31, they really scream.

Also, the steering is heavy on all of them.

Only have MMCs at the garage I'm at, so not driven any older ones.
@MW your lucky for the E200 MMCS your the only garage that has them
London Euston

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk