News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Drivers - Bus Reviews & Opinions

Started by 2900, July 13, 2014, 12:38:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John

The retarder in on the brake pedal (slight pressure on the pedal), not when releasing the accelerator (unless the Mercedes are different). Thats just engine braking

The mercedes 0405N is different with regards to the retarder, it could be used in the normal manner through the brake pedal, but also by pressing a switch on the dashboard it allowed the retarder to come into effect by releasing the accelerator pedal great when giving it the beanz but watch the gearbox temp gauge rocket up, about 6 plus years ago this function had been deleted by the engineers because it led to premature wear on the gearbox. I think a few fell through the net though. That's what I read on the memo at west broms drivers mess room at the time. I really do miss driving MERCS such fun.

No my rota had mercs taken off a while back, in the last 12 months I ,ve driven one 1698 which is a shed now.

I do hope I,ll get chance to drive the scanias I,ve only driven two back in 09/10, mind you with only 7 coming to west brom from what I,m hearing probably not much chance of that either.

Quote from: 2900 on May 02, 2015, 10:01:46 AM
I do hope I,ll get chance to drive the scanias I,ve only driven two back in 09/10, mind you with only 7 coming to west brom from what I,m hearing probably not much chance of that either.
Little hope for you if they do come as they will probably go on the 48/49 Unless you get one as a change over vehicle at Oldbury, these vehicles are a lot bigger and will struggle to get round most of the local WB routes.

I can only hope it's nice to have something different once in a while.

4084 still a beast to drive so free flowing just effortless makes short work of long journeys.
4511 good all round gemini in every dept, nice drive
4504 pain in the arse this bus at moment,really crap brakes,driver seat won't adjust properly,fans on
4708 one of the better examples in this batch of 4700s, good all rounder I say, nice drive

Liberator9

Only 7 - not many - thought if they wanted to convert the 48/49 to Scania operation they may as well transfer all 11 of 7019-7029 from AG to WB. Would cover the 9 needed for the 48/49. Hope you do get to drive them @2900 as they are nice buses - better than the ADLs!

Sh4318

@Liberator9 I hope they don't put Omnilinks on the 48, the 48 needs doubles!
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Liberator9

@Sh4318

Not too familiar with the route, but by the sounds of it they'd better not! Other route they could possibly put Scanias on is the 45? That needs 7 buses in the day.

Trident 4194

49 doesn't get as busy as the 48, also the 4M deserves deckers

Quote from: Liberator9 on May 03, 2015, 07:50:36 PM
@Sh4318

Not too familiar with the route, but by the sounds of it they'd better not! Other route they could possibly put Scanias on is the 45? That needs 7 buses in the day.
A bit of a struggle through Milton St.

Liberator9

Yeah - is a bit narrow through there - although if Mercs can fit down it, Scanias could probably get down there as well.

4753 ENVIRO 400 TRIDENT2,  on Portland road services, excellent routes to test a bus on.
To drive simply excellent , effort less ability to get up hills, on Portland rd itself which is shocking state of disrepair the suspension coped rather well I thought, it didn't rattle itself to death either which was the really surprising it was all muted in a way not clattering. Speed bumps different issue all together front axle can't deal them at all I tried all manner of speeds to what suits it  5-8 mph seems to about rite no horrible bouncing or thudding. Cab heater superb.

Engine - excellent smooth real power house this one
Gearbox - excellent most of the time occasional jolt
Retarder - well ballanced smooth
Brakes - excellent smooth
Suspension - on the level pretty good, speed bumps can't deal with them

It's worth an excellent 8.5/10 these vehicles would be 10/10 if it weren't for the front axle then again still 23 4700s to be driven who knows one might be exceptional

Liberator9

The other 23 should be similar - not really had a shed of an Enviro 400 when they were at YW - 4741 and 4740 should be a good to drive. 4743 was always very good at YW.

MW

Coming to the end of my training at Walsall passed my PCV test today.

So far I've driven the following.

By far, 1689 has been the best to drive. Most responsive in terms of acceleration and brakes. Best brakes by far than the B10s.

Then it's 1501. This is the better B10. Like the other B10s, the brakes take a while to warm up and perform at it's peak. But the brakes are really good on it. No excessive rattling (nothing even comes to mind, excessive or not). Only thing odd/wrong with it is that the self levelling suspension is constantly going up and down when stationary.

1509. This ones not very good. It judders around a lot! When you go over bad roads, all the warning lights keep flickering on and off. It did startle me the first time I took it. Also the drivers seat is not fitted securely, it literally moves side to side slightly, as if one of the slider things are loose. Steering adjustment lever for the reach is faulty, sometimes the wheel moves in and out if you don't click it in correctly.

1355. This was probably the better B10B before the air tanks or piping blew up. Dont get me wrong, the brakes were bad like the other B10Bs, but they weren't quite all or nothing!

1384/1385, I can't really remember now but I did mention them a few comments up somewhere.

So yeah the Merc is miles better that the Volvos in my opinion. Hopefully I'll get to drive one of the Metros over the course of my final days at Walsall, and will report back.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk