News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Night Only Buses

Started by Russ Smith, June 15, 2014, 09:02:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoNi

For some reason there is a perception that buses get vandalised in the middle of the night. When attempting to find excuses to withdraw night buses In London as a budget cut many years ago analysis found the main cause of vehicles being withdrawn from service was soiling etc!
My experiences travelling on night buses in various cities are passengers who either asleep after a night out or early morning workers for airports.  Obviously in London night buses make up for the lack of the Underground at night.

Also the routes that justify night services are sort that have very early starts.

leewhayward29

Quote from: sonic84 on June 16, 2014, 07:10:17 PM
My suggestions would be:

6E Birmingham - Shirley
9E Birmingham - Halesowen
22 Birmingham - Kitwell
33 Birmingham - Pheasey
37 Birmingham - Solihull
45N Birmingham - Cotteridge - West Heath - Turves Green - Cotteridge - Birmingham
50 Birmingham - Maypole
51 Birmingham - Walsall
61N Birmingham - Northfield - Longbridge - Frankley - Northfield - Birmingham
94 Birmingham Chelmsley Wood
905E Birmingham - Four Oakes
957 Birmingham - Solihull

I would say to run night buses on
33 Birmingham to Pheasey
51 Birmingham to Walsall
529 Walsall to Wolverhampton
Bus services in my local area and where I live

31 -  Walsall to Mossley via Bloxwich and Leamore. NXWM (WALSALL GARAGE) Buses used are: Wright Eclipse 2 B7RLE and Dennis Trident ALX400                     

32 - Walsall to Lower Farm via Bloxwich and Leamore. NXWM (WALSALL GARAGE) Buses used are:- Wright Eclipse 2 B7RLE and ADL Enviro400

69 - Walsall to Wolverhampton via Beechdale, New Invention, Wood End and New Cross Hospital. NXWM (WOLVERHAMPTON GARAGE) Buses used are: Wright Eclipse 2 B7RLE, Dennis Trident ALX400 and ADL Enviro200

529   - Wolverhampton to Walsall via willenhall. NXWM (WOLVERHAMPTON GARAGE) Buses Used are:- ADL Enviro400 MMC   Dennis Trident ALX400, ADL Enviro400H   (Platinum bus service)

Alex

Quote from: leewhayward29 on September 11, 2014, 07:19:20 PM
My suggestions would be:

6E Birmingham - Shirley
22 Birmingham - Kitwell
33 Birmingham - Pheasey
37 Birmingham - Solihull
45N Birmingham - Cotteridge - West Heath - Turves Green - Cotteridge - Birmingham
50 Birmingham - Maypole
51 Birmingham - Walsall
905E Birmingham - Four Oakes

33 Birmingham to Pheasey
51 Birmingham to Walsall
The 529 could probably do with the night buses, the 33 and 51, i s'posse could work
Hypocrites are like flares... a right pain if one goes near you, and really annoying to get rid of...

My YouTube channel: Alex Jones

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXjxo69BfENu3fiWuzCNYyg

Kevin

Apologies for dragging up a topic from like half a year ago, but with the 74 being announced as the next 24/7 service...

Despite what people want to happen (face it everyone would want their own local services to be 24hrs). How far do people think NX will take the night buses? At the moment they're all just arterial routes from Brum but what scope for other routes? such as Inner/Outer circles, 49, WB5, 529, WA10 (just some random examples obviously)
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Kevin

Quote from: Matt on March 06, 2015, 11:10:47 AM
Why make any of those routes 24 hours, most people travelling in the middle of the night will surely be going to/from city centre.

Or from other town centres (night life exists in wolves and walsall as well).
Or to/from Airports (whole reason the 97 exists as a 24hrs route)
Or connecting with late night trains (ie the last train from London).
Etc...

trident4370

I personally think there is a case for a few "main" routes in the black country to go 24 hour, 529 in particular screams out at me and perhaps a 4E to West Brom and 5 to sutton. As for Birmingham Routes I'd like to see a Sutton lines route get the 24 hour treatment.

Russ Smith

What I'm not a fan of is only running part routes at night time. I think NX need to be riskier/braver and run full (or even extended) journeys on the routes that they run, even if it does require another bus (or if you interwork, maybe only half a bus extra). Living in Rednal, I'd use a nightbus over a taxi if I could, as it's a good £25 on an unbooked taxi out to here of a night, but when I stay over at mate's houses in Bearwood, Selly Oak, Harborne etc., we don't even consider getting a bus because taxis are cheaper and much more convenient. I personally think nightbuses need to branch out further away from the city centre(s), where taxis become less feasible, to become attractive enough for people to use them.

Sh4318

A night service on the 87 would be really useful. But with the incoming news about the 74, and after the 50 and 97, I suspect this will happen eventually, especially as the route is due to be upgraded in April
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

the trainbasher

Surprised the 9 doesn't go 24/7 soon

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

domino.99

Quote from: Sh4318 on March 06, 2015, 11:45:28 PM
A night service on the 87 would be really useful. But with the incoming news about the 74, and after the 50 and 97, I suspect this will happen eventually, especially as the route is due to be upgraded in April

What the 87's being upgraded?

John

Quote from: NXDom on March 07, 2015, 06:59:34 PM

With ex-Yardley Wood Enviro400s off the 50. The 50 is getting MMCs

Trident 4609

Quote from: NXDom on March 07, 2015, 06:59:34 PM

Reply #883 (Tony's post)

http://wmbusphotos.com/forum/index.php?topic=2834.870

CL

Quote from: Alex on September 11, 2014, 08:32:55 PM
Quote from: leewhayward29 on September 11, 2014, 07:19:20 PM
My suggestions would be:

6E Birmingham - Shirley
22 Birmingham - Kitwell
33 Birmingham - Pheasey
37 Birmingham - Solihull
50 Birmingham - Maypole
51 Birmingham - Walsall
905E Birmingham - Four Oaks

33 Birmingham to Pheasey
51 Birmingham to Walsall
The 529 could probably do with the night buses, the 33 and 51, i s'pose could work

This list seems alright. Though, I would change the 22 with the 23A - have 33 and 51 miss one stop, or possibly even scrap a night-time 51 for a "N51", if it'll be going all the way to Walsall - something like the X51, but serving more stops at night on the Walsall Road.

When I'm discussing 'route suggestions' I always seem to talk of the route number. Honestly, night buses should have an 'N' prefix, like that in London.

For example:
- N74 to Dudley Port
- N61 to Longbridge
- N99 to Quinton Church, etc...
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

Kevin

Quote from: clayderman on March 11, 2015, 11:09:39 PM

This list seems alright. Though, I would change the 22 with the 23A - have 33 and 51 miss one stop, or possibly even scrap a night-time 51 for a "N51", if it'll be going all the way to Walsall - something like the X51, but serving more stops at night on the Walsall Road.

When I'm discussing 'route suggestions' I always seem to talk of the route number. Honestly, night buses should have an 'N' prefix, like that in London.

For example:
- N74 to Dudley Port
- N61 to Longbridge

No, they need to have the same number, as it should be the same as the daytime service "like in London"

OH25

Quote from: Kevin on March 12, 2015, 07:00:51 AM
Quote from: clayderman on March 11, 2015, 11:09:39 PM

For example:
- N74 to Dudley Port
- N61 to Longbridge

No, they need to have the same number, as it should be the same as the daytime service "like in London"

Doesn't the 'N' prefix apply to routes with a variation or addition to the original route whereas the same number is used if the route is exactly the same?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk