News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Started by Jay, June 10, 2014, 02:44:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay

i just heard on bbc wm that the 50 is running thru the night
My The Force Be With You PN Garage

https://www.flickr.com/photos/train_nut/

jnl1984

Also, does anyone know anything about the 50 stops that have appeared on Brandwood Road (Towards Vicarage Road)??

the trainbasher

Quote from: jnl1984 on June 10, 2014, 09:56:07 PM
Also, does anyone know anything about the 50 stops that have appeared on Brandwood Road (Towards Vicarage Road)??

TGB certain trips only

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

trident4370

It is something to do with TGB... Could be because there is a 50X now, not to be confused with the Johnsons X50, that serves Yardley Wood, which I think is the reason for those stops by the garage having 50 on, and there is also a new 50Y service that uses Brandwood road BUT it terminates at King Edward school, whereas the 50 marked bus stops continue to Kings Heath down Vicarage Road (basically every stop that is served by the 69). I personally just assume it is another Centro cock up as these are both school services. http://www.thegreenbus.co.uk/bus_services/school/schools/14-15/ (See Woodrush School). Let's face it though this obsession with using the number "50" on every route, it is no wonder people are confused...
Also the 50s that carry on to Wythall at peaks seem to just flash Wythall up for a couple of seconds then carry on with the usual tickets and prices display, and the one I saw wasn't displaying 50A but just 50 so it would be easy for someone to let the Wythall bus carry on past them without realising.

sonic84

Yes, I spotted these and agree they are to do with the 50Y school service.

I would say TGB should have used a different number, as it is bound to get confusing with a 50/50A/50X/50Y/X50 now operating, although the 50X and 50Y do take completely different routes between Kings Heath and the Maypole

Russ Smith

Well this has been implemented a lot quicker than I imagined, wonder which corridor's next for a night service if this one's successful? Would personally like to see a 0333 departure from city, if you leave Broad Street (ew) at three, it would take you half an hour to stumble over to Moor Street

sonic84

Quote from: Russ Smith on June 15, 2014, 08:30:34 AM
Well this has been implemented a lot quicker than I imagined, wonder which corridor's next for a night service if this one's successful? Would personally like to see a 0333 departure from city, if you leave Broad Street (ew) at three, it would take you half an hour to stumble over to Moor Street

I'd like to see this implemented on the 61 or 63 next, and surely the 9 has to be a strong contender, even if only as far as Halesowen

Kevin

Hurrahs and huzzahs, progress...
Maybe one day we will be back to having a proper network of night buses on all the major routes. Can but hope...
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

monkeyjoe

In the late 90's they used to have departures from Broad street on most major corridors. I also remember when their was a trial by Lea Hall on the 94/97 n that used to run along Smallbrook Queensway ( only 2 nights buses at that particular time). In addition the trial used to run thur- sun. Didn't last that long from memory.

trident4370

97A Must be going down well then if the night buses are slowly returning, I for one am delighted about the 50.

Ashley

Is the 50 the right choice for the next 24 hour service? Fair enough there are a number of pubs and restaurants etc along the route and the city itself but beyond Kings Heath up to Maypole it's all tower blocks and I personally don't know anybody who'd stand on the Alcester Road at 3am for a bus, it's unnerving enough in the day sometimes.

I think the 9, 126 or a 904E would still be better contenders as they connect major places rather than just enter the lions den

B.C Driver

I think they have picked the 50 as it brings in the most revenue.

It's a shame only 2 routes so far are benefiting from night services and people who live in all other areas who go out for a night out are forced to pay high taxi fares. The taxi drivers in this city must be rubbing their hands with glee.

London, Manchester, Oxford, Edinburgh and probably others have had night services for years, yet the 2nd city has to make do with just one and another in the pipeline, while all other routes finish around midnight.
4444 -The Star Wars Bus

- May the 4s be with you!

the trainbasher

personally I would make nightbuses (hourly minimum) on the 50 as far as maypole, 97 to airport, 9 as far as halesowen, Bristol Road (but merge the 61 and 63 for that so it does a one way loop serving both parts of the 61/63), 126 (probably to Dudley minimum), Pershore road (similar to how I suggested the Bristol Road), 900, 904, 957 and maybe 51

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Liverpool Street

Quote from: the trainbasher on June 15, 2014, 03:43:30 PM
personally I would make nightbuses (hourly minimum) on the 50 as far as maypole, 97 to airport, 9 as far as halesowen, Bristol Road (but merge the 61 and 63 for that so it does a one way loop serving both parts of the 61/63), 126 (probably to Dudley minimum), Pershore road (similar to how I suggested the Bristol Road), 900, 904, 957 and maybe 51

The last 45 from town runs near empty every night mate so I doubt Pershore Road should be a contender.
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk