News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Gold corridors

Started by Dylan4579, January 15, 2014, 08:57:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Stu on January 26, 2014, 09:39:04 AM
I thought there were going to be more of these 'sensor-controlled' traffic lights, on the busier bus corridors, so that priority could be given to buses to help them flow more freely. Sure I saw somewhere before they were going to trial them out on the 404/4 corridor, as well as the 87/A457 corridor.

I'm sure they had sensors working on the Horsefair Island as whenever I'm travelling on the Bristol/GP the lights change just before a bus is the FIRST vehicle at the line. Probably explains why they regularly go out of sync
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

CL

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on January 25, 2014, 09:31:17 PM
Quote from: clayderman on January 25, 2014, 09:26:42 PM
On the NXWM Facebook Page, there's the same picture of the 2 E400s but with a caption that says, an I quote:
'FIVE MILLION POUNDS TO BE INVESTED INTO BUS TRAVEL IN ASSOCIATION WITH CENTRO

Over the next two years there'll be 26 new buses running between Sutton and Birmingham

Over the next three years, 'Partnership Plus' will deliver:

350 new bus shelters across the region

More on-bus cleaning schemes

300 new buses (15 environmentally friendly hybrids)

10 golden bus corridors with new buses, real time information and increased bus priority

Swift 'smartcard' developments

More bus priority to make journeys quicker across the whole region

More 'talking' buses '

It's your worst nightmare! But in my opinion, I do like the talking buses, I think they're beneficial to the blind - or to anybody else, i dunno, on dark nights? Foggy days? Snow? Et cetera, et cetera...

Depends who does the announcements.

True, true... But its still a great investment! No doubt the 300 buses will be E400s/E200s. I'd prefer a variety! Something along the lines of Wrightbus, or MAN? I think ADL's are getting boring tbh... Even though it may be cheaper? I have high expectations for the new hybrids being a bigger variety... Instead of those two types we have already!  ::)
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

winston

Can anybody fill in some of the blanks of which services could be upgraded for the following proposed gold corridors?

- Birmingham Airport and NEC (A45 Coventry Road) - 900 & 957 (BC)
- South Birmingham Technology Route (linking the Birmingham City Centre Enterprise Zone with Longbridge, Bristol Road and Pershore Road) - 45/47 & 61/63, 98 & X64 (BC)
- Warwick Road (A41 south)  - 37 (AG) any others?
- North Solihull Regeneration Route (A452 Chester Road ) - services ?
- Walsall Road (A34 north) - 51/X51 (WA) any others any others?
- Black Country West (A4123/A459 between Wolverhampton, Dudley and Quinton) - 126 (WN)
- A41 Wolverhampton to West Bromwich - 79 (WN)
- Route 4 between Walsall and Merry Hill  - 4/4H & 4M (WA)
- Connecting Dudley with Birmingham along the A457 Dudley Road - 82/83/87 & 89(WB)
- North Coventry - services ?

I'd have thought that the 900 & 957 would retain its recent E400's, but could the 37 & 51/X51 both receive a new fleet with the current buses cascading elsewhere?

Stu

With regards to the 'Warwick Road (A41 South)' corridor, some work has already been carried out, with bus shelters between Greet and Acocks Green already been replaced, and a consultation having taken place on proposals:
https://www.birminghambeheard.org.uk/development/lstf-a41warwickroad-acocksgreenlocalcentre

I understand that works will begin later this year, to redevelop the Warwick Road through Acocks Green, for completion in early 2015.

Whether this will coincide with the introduction of new buses for the 37 route (the only route that operates principally along this corridor), I don't know.

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

winston

Quote from: Stu on January 26, 2014, 04:53:29 PM
With regards to the 'Warwick Road (A41 South)' corridor, some work has already been carried out, with bus shelters between Greet and Acocks Green already been replaced, and a consultation having taken place on proposals:
https://www.birminghambeheard.org.uk/development/lstf-a41warwickroad-acocksgreenlocalcentre

I understand that works will begin later this year, to redevelop the Warwick Road through Acocks Green, for completion in early 2015.

Whether this will coincide with the introduction of new buses for the 37 route (the only route that operates principally along this corridor), I don't know.

Cheers for that Stu!

:D

Quote from: Winston on January 26, 2014, 04:20:02 PM
Can anybody fill in some of the blanks of which services could be upgraded for the following proposed gold corridors?

- Birmingham Airport and NEC (A45 Coventry Road) - 900 & 957 (BC)
- South Birmingham Technology Route (linking the Birmingham City Centre Enterprise Zone with Longbridge, Bristol Road and Pershore Road) - 45/47 & 61/63, 98 & X64 (BC)
- Warwick Road (A41 south)  - 37 (AG) any others?
- North Solihull Regeneration Route (A452 Chester Road ) - services ?
- Walsall Road (A34 north) - 51/X51 (WA) any others any others?
- Black Country West (A4123/A459 between Wolverhampton, Dudley and Quinton) - 126 (WN)
- A41 Wolverhampton to West Bromwich - 79 (WN)
- Route 4 between Walsall and Merry Hill  - 4/4H & 4M (WA)
- Connecting Dudley with Birmingham along the A457 Dudley Road - 82/83/87 & 89(WB)
- North Coventry - services ?

I'd have thought that the 900 & 957 would retain its recent E400's, but could the 37 & 51/X51 both receive a new fleet with the current buses cascading elsewhere?

- North Solihull Regeneration Route (A452 Chester Road ) - 966 or 71 but the former would be more likely.
- North Coventry - Either 20/20A or 21.

Stu

Quote from: Winston on January 26, 2014, 04:55:34 PM

Cheers for that Stu!

No problem! I guess you need to live in the area to know about these things. Others worth looking at:
https://www.birminghambeheard.org.uk/consultation_finder?search_keys%3Alist=pc%3Apostcode&search_keys%3Alist=tx%3Atext&keyword=local+sustainable+transport+fund

It's probably worth noting here that the whole 'gold corridors' thing is not solely about 'brand new buses', but a whole raft of improvements to make travelling easier.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

winston

Quote from: Stu on January 26, 2014, 05:38:56 PM
Quote from: Winston on January 26, 2014, 04:55:34 PM

Cheers for that Stu!

No problem! I guess you need to live in the area to know about these things. Others worth looking at:
https://www.birminghambeheard.org.uk/consultation_finder?search_keys%3Alist=pc%3Apostcode&search_keys%3Alist=tx%3Atext&keyword=local+sustainable+transport+fund

It's probably worth noting here that the whole 'gold corridors' thing is not solely about 'brand new buses', but a whole raft of improvements to make travelling easier.

Cheer Stu,

I aware it's more than just brand new buses, just speculating on where a large chunk of the 300 new buses might end up over then next 18 months...... Some of those corridors have already had fleet upgrades within the last 2 years, so may stick with those buses

Kevin

Quote from: :D on January 26, 2014, 04:57:09 PM
- North Solihull Regeneration Route (A452 Chester Road ) - 966 or 71 but the former would be more likely.

While they seem to be the obvious routes in question when talking about a "North Solihull Regenereation Route", I really can't imagine the 966 or 71 being "Gold corridor" standard unless they seriously upped the frequencies and rerouted them onto the main roads instead of round the Wrekin
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

:D

Quote from: Kevin on January 26, 2014, 07:24:27 PM

While they seem to be the obvious routes in question when talking about a "North Solihull Regenereation Route", I really can't imagine the 966 or 71 being "Gold corridor" standard unless they seriously upped the frequencies and rerouted them onto the main roads instead of round the Wrekin
Agreed. I can't really see any other possible bus routes in that area, I'm not sure but I don't think any bus uses Chester road.

monkeyjoe

Quote from: :D on January 26, 2014, 08:02:31 PM

Agreed. I can't really see any other possible bus routes in that area, I'm not sure but I don't think any bus uses Chester road.

My thoughts were it being around a route like the old 994/962 that served North solihull and chester road as a fast link into town  from Chelmsley wood & castle vale etc. I could be wrong. Or the other thought would the 28 corridor being treated that way with the expansion of Jag factories and important links it provides.

JB93

Quote from: monkeyjoe on January 26, 2014, 11:05:37 PM

My thoughts were it being around a route like the old 994/962 that served North solihull and chester road as a fast link into town  from Chelmsley wood & castle vale etc. I could be wrong. Or the other thought would the 28 corridor being treated that way with the expansion of Jag factories and important links it provides.

The most likely candidate would be the 94, seeing as it's already very frequent and well used. And there's been rumours of an upgrade for ages. Maybe they'd tie in the 71 and 72 with it too, seeing as between the 70/71/72 they pretty much cover all of East Birmingham and North Solihull.

Ex pensnett driver

winston

Quote from: pensnettdriver on January 27, 2014, 03:10:51 PM
Hagley road

pensenttdriver,

PE's Hagley Rd services would be included within this scheme?

monkeyjoe

Quote from: JB93 on January 27, 2014, 03:26:40 AM
Quote from: monkeyjoe on January 26, 2014, 11:05:37 PM

The most likely candidate would be the 94, seeing as it's already very frequent and well used. And there's been rumours of an upgrade for ages. Maybe they'd tie in the 71 and 72 with it too, seeing as between the 70/71/72 they pretty much cover all of East Birmingham and North Solihull.

Like to think it would be the 94/70/72 corridor route but would be hard to think of it being exactly the same route  (i.e what measures they could introduced around the Ward End bottle neck part of Washwood heath RD.  They have bus stops along the Heartlands spin road, would they introduce some sort of route using that, as long as they sort out the Bromford Lane island, which is just stupid at rush hour. Hence why my thoughts were around  a re creation of the old 994/962 that served North Solihull / Chester rd and castle vale.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk