News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

VERY Late running services

Started by Stu, November 14, 2013, 06:09:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metrocity

Quote from: MW on December 20, 2019, 07:27:32 AM
So correct me then. What use is your post to anyone if all you say is Not correct.

After 5 hours 30 minutes of driving you must take a break of at least 30 minutes for rest and refreshment.

Or, within any period of 8 hours 30 minutes, you must take at least 45 minutes in breaks. You must also have a break of at least 30 minutes at the end of this period, unless it's the end of the working day.

https://www.gov.uk/drivers-hours/gb-domestic-rules

MW

Quote from: metrocity on December 20, 2019, 07:48:25 AM
After 5 hours 30 minutes of driving you must take a break of at least 30 minutes for rest and refreshment.

Or, within any period of 8 hours 30 minutes, you must take at least 45 minutes in breaks. You must also have a break of at least 30 minutes at the end of this period, unless it's the end of the working day.

https://www.gov.uk/drivers-hours/gb-domestic-rules

Lmao so which bit of my post was incorrect?

I said 'sometimes 45 mins depending on other stuff,' in reference to the 8hr30 min rule, but in the spirit of trying to keep the explanation simple and easy to understand for non drivers, I said it how I said it.

I then gave a scenario as to when a driver might be RTA'd.

Tell me which bit is incorrect.

metrocity

Quote from: MW on December 20, 2019, 09:15:49 AM
Lmao so which bit of my post was incorrect?

I said 'sometimes 45 mins depending on other stuff,' in reference to the 8hr30 min rule, but in the spirit of trying to keep the explanation simple and easy to understand for non drivers, I said it how I said it.

I then gave a scenario as to when a driver might be RTA'd.

Tell me which bit is incorrect.

Your post states that after 5 hours 30 minutes then the driver needs to take a break. That is not correct. You can drive up to 8 hours 30 minutes.

MW

Quote from: metrocity on December 20, 2019, 01:53:31 PM
Your post states that after 5 hours 30 minutes then the driver needs to take a break. That is not correct. You can drive up to 8 hours 30 minutes.

Lmao I'm guessing you're not a driver? Ask any of the bus drivers on this forum if they can drive 8hr 30 in one sitting 😂😂😂

Within an 8hour 30 period, you must take at least 45 mins break is what it actually says. The 5hr 30 still applies.

I'll give you an example.

09:00 : Start driving

14:30 : BREAK - 5 hours 30 reached. You now must take a minimum of 30 mins break.

15:00 : Resume driving

17:15 : BREAK- 8hrs 15 reached. You must now take a minimum of 15 mins break.

17:30 : BREAK - 8 hours 30 reached. You must now take a minimum of 30 mins break, as you've reached the end of the 8 hour 30 period.

18:00 : Resume driving

20:15 : End of driving - 10 hours driving reached.

As far as I understand, the above complies with GB Domestic rules.
Total driving time is 10 hours
Total breaks is 1 hour 15 mins.
Total shift (09:00 till 20:15) is 11 hours 15 mins.

Driving 8 hours and 30 mins without a single break, which is what you're saying, is illegal.

metrocity

Quote from: MW on December 20, 2019, 02:11:06 PM
Lmao I'm guessing you're not a driver? Ask any of the bus drivers on this forum if they can drive 8hr 30 in one sitting 😂😂😂

Within an 8hour 30 period, you must take at least 45 mins break is what it actually says. The 5hr 30 still applies.

I'll give you an example.

09:00 : Start driving

14:30 : BREAK - 5 hours 30 reached. You now must take a minimum of 30 mins break.

15:00 : Resume driving

17:15 : BREAK- 8hrs 15 reached. You must now take a minimum of 15 mins break.

17:30 : BREAK - 8 hours 30 reached. You must now take a minimum of 30 mins break, as you've reached the end of the 8 hour 30 period.

18:00 : Resume driving

20:15 : End of driving - 10 hours driving reached.

As far as I understand, the above complies with GB Domestic rules.
Total driving time is 10 hours
Total breaks is 1 hour 15 mins.
Total shift (09:00 till 20:15) is 11 hours 15 mins.

Driving 8 hours and 30 mins without a single break, which is what you're saying, is illegal.
I suggest you ask your employer if you can sit the relevant DCPC module as you clearly lack a basic understanding of the rules

MW

Quote from: metrocity on December 20, 2019, 02:19:41 PM
I suggest you ask your employer if you can sit the relevant DCPC module as you clearly lack a basic understanding of the rules

So educate me then.

You're telling me that as a bus driver, I can drive in service for 8.5 hours without a break?

j789

It is 5 hours 30 minutes the legal maximum driving time then need a minimum 30 minute break after that before driving again. Driving for that amount of time in terms of concentration is hard enough, doing it for 8 hours non stop would be dangerous. Think you have misunderstood there metro city!

metrocity

Quote from: MW on December 20, 2019, 02:22:48 PM
So educate me then.

You're telling me that as a bus driver, I can drive in service for 8.5 hours without a break?
No but they can drive 7 hours 45 minutes and then take a 45 minute break. Aslong as there are 45 minutes worth of breaks in an 8 hour 30 minute period

Lots of late running services today on all corriodors
6837 was running 40 minutes late on the X22 at about 13:30 today. Heavily overcrowded and carrying passengers on the platform, stairs. Also rammed full of King Edward Five Ways school kids who seemed to have finished early today. So was unable to pick anyone up at University and the QE.
4801 was running 30 minutes late at about 13:30 on the 94 today. Driver took over the wrong bus and was blocking the X20's off their stand for a short time.
The driver who then took over 4801 who should have had it got on complaigning that he had to wait an hour in Erdington for the X3/X4/X5/66.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

MW

Quote from: metrocity on December 20, 2019, 03:09:36 PM
No but they can drive 7 hours 45 minutes and then take a 45 minute break. Aslong as there are 45 minutes worth of breaks in an 8 hour 30 minute period

You're right. I've been reading the rules again, and whilst they focus on the 5hr 30 + 30 min break, the alternative is 8hr 30 + 45 min break. I apologise. In my defence, this is what I was taught at NX. Whilst the rules may permit you to actually drive 7 hr 45 in one sitting, in the real world I've not come across a company who have such a duty before. The safety of somebody driving for 7 hour 45 min is something I definitely do not agree with, but that's besides the point.

Thank you for explaining.

metrocity

Quote from: MW on December 20, 2019, 03:40:04 PM
You're right. I've been reading the rules again, and whilst they focus on the 5hr 30 + 30 min break, the alternative is 8hr 30 + 45 min break. I apologise. In my defence, this is what I was taught at NX. Whilst the rules may permit you to actually drive 7 hr 45 in one sitting, in the real world I've not come across a company who have such a duty before. The safety of somebody driving for 7 hour 45 min is something I definitely do not agree with, but that's besides the point.

Thank you for explaining.

No problem. If you look at a number of TFWM tendered routes,  the timetable is designed to fit around this rule, so operators have the option of costing a tender with 1 driver should they wish to do so. I agree with you that it's not safe to drive continuously for such a period

MW

Quote from: metrocity on December 20, 2019, 04:02:47 PM
No problem. If you look at a number of TFWM tendered routes,  the timetable is designed to fit around this rule, so operators have the option of costing a tender with 1 driver should they wish to do so. I agree with you that it's not safe to drive continuously for such a period

Ahh yes I see. Basically the routes that tend to operate between 09:00 - 15:00 is what you're referring to?

Using the 69 as an example (Solihull - Brandwood End), both buses begin service at 09:34, and Bus 1 appears to finish at Solihull at 14:32. Bus 2 appears to finish at Brandwood End at 15:25.

Bus 1 has been driven in service for 4 hr 58

Bus 2 has been driven in service for 5 hr 49.

Let's focus on Bus 2. So theoretically, if we add an hour onto Bus 2 (to and from depot), you can have that bus being driven by the same driver all day (total of 6 hr 49), and when they return to depot at the end, give them a 45 min break and then sign off.

Am I correct?

Tony

Quote from: MW on December 20, 2019, 04:19:52 PM
Ahh yes I see. Basically the routes that tend to operate between 09:00 - 15:00 is what you're referring to?

Using the 69 as an example (Solihull - Brandwood End), both buses begin service at 09:34, and Bus 1 appears to finish at Solihull at 14:32. Bus 2 appears to finish at Brandwood End at 15:25.

Let's focus on Bus 2. So theoretically, if we add an hour onto Bus 2 (to and from depot), you can have that bus being driven by the same driver all day (total of 6 hr 49), and when they return to depot at the end, give them a 45 min break and then sign off.

Am I correct?

breaks at termini also don't count as driving time

Trident 4194

Quote from: MW on December 20, 2019, 04:19:52 PM

Am I correct?

The 69 operates as a 50 before hand

MW

Quote from: Trident 4194 on December 20, 2019, 04:38:32 PM
The 69 operates as a 50 before hand

Yes, I know in reality it does. I'm talking hypothetically if "Company A" were to win a route like the 69. I know full well that both buses on the 69 operate on the 50 during peaks.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk