News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

VERY Late running services

Started by Stu, November 14, 2013, 06:09:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MW

Quote from: Trident 4194 on November 19, 2019, 08:58:12 AM
5 11A in a row, within 5 mins between first and last. Service is awful!

The 11 is a service that will never be properly reliable. That's just the nature of it. The only way to make it more reliable is by either having a hell of a lot bus priority measures built along the route or to split it up, into probably 3 routes.

As Kevin says, it crosses every major trunk road in Birmingham. If there's huge delays in say Erdington, that means (for example) Bearwood will suffer with the delays. To counter it, AVL adjust you, but there will always be gaps somewhere along the circle. In 2015, there'd always be at least two standby vehicles specifically for the 11, parked up at the front of AG depot and they'd be used as duplicates if and when required.

Tony

Quote from: MW on November 20, 2019, 11:28:34 AM
The 11 is a service that will never be properly reliable. That's just the nature of it. The only way to make it more reliable is by either having a hell of a lot bus priority measures built along the route or to split it up, into probably 3 routes.

As Kevin says, it crosses every major trunk road in Birmingham. If there's huge delays in say Erdington, that means (for example) Bearwood will suffer with the delays. To counter it, AVL adjust you, but there will always be gaps somewhere along the circle. In 2015, there'd always be at least two standby vehicles specifically for the 11, parked up at the front of AG depot and they'd be used as duplicates if and when required.

And not forgetting it is Trident 4194 posting!

Looking back on yesterday's running in the morning 04:00 until 12:00 only 3 11As left Bearwood outiside the TC's -1+5 minute window. So the service was on one of it's better days when he was complaning.

I cannot see anything suggesting there were 5 in 5 minutes.
The 08:23 left at 08:39
The 08:33 left at 08:42
The 08:43 left at 08:47
The 08:51 left at 08:52
The 08:59 left at 08:59
which is 5 buses in 20 minutes the closest I can find!

don

I used to use/rely on the 11 back in early WMPTE days and it was a nightmare then. However back then it was run by three main garages (AG, PB, Harborne) and in the peaks many short workings were run, effectively to improve reliability and minimise multiple layers of traffic disruption thus maintaining some level of reliability and covering the main areas of traffic demand. I guess they had more flexibility back then - even keeping one ex BCT standard parked in a conspicuous location at Fleetline only garages like Cotteridge, en route, to deter drivers of old vehicles on the 11 from asking for a change bus!!

If you're trying to make a regular commute journey and there is constant lateness (my morning 1st train commute is invariably several minutes late at the station I interchange at, resulting in me missing my connection and adding 10-15 mins to an already long journey) it can be pretty frustrating, even though you build that into your journey - if it happens at multiple points frustration quickly turns to anger.
Bustimes.org - armchair bus chasing at its best
wmbusphotos.com - armchair bus spotting and news at its best.

Current 'special passenger validation' permit held.

Gareth

Quote from: Trident 4194 on November 19, 2019, 08:58:12 AM
5 11A in a row, within 5 mins between first and last. Service is awful!

It seems that every single service you use is late or not running, no matter where in the West Midlands you are. You must be the unluckiest bus passenger ever!

Busboy105

Quote from: MW on November 20, 2019, 11:28:34 AM

That is something that I was thinking about. The 11 tends to have extremely terrible around school times. One time I had to wait 40 minutes for one. It can't run as it is it needs to be split. Where it can be split is a good question but it won't be suitable for this thread.

Crosville

The 11s must be one of the hardest services to run, caught it couple of years ago & did a full circuit, left Perry Barr on time, arrived back 15 minutes late & this was 10am onwards, as mentioned the rote has a lot of bottlenecks, Soho Road can be fun, then add in City Hospital, Barewood, Selly Oak, Cotteridge, & a few others

Busboy105

Quote from: Crosville on November 20, 2019, 03:59:22 PM
The 11s must be one of the hardest services to run, caught it couple of years ago & did a full circuit, left Perry Barr on time, arrived back 15 minutes late & this was 10am onwards, as mentioned the rote has a lot of bottlenecks, Soho Road can be fun, then add in City Hospital, Barewood, Selly Oak, Cotteridge, & a few others
It's also the longest route in Europe don't forget. I heard it takes 3 hours to do a whole circuit. That's longer than a train ride to London! :D :D :D

Crosville

Quote from: Busboy105 on November 20, 2019, 04:12:13 PM
It's also the longest route in Europe don't forget. I heard it takes 3 hours to do a whole circuit. That's longer than a train ride to London! :D :D :D

It's the longest urban area route in Europe ;) at 27 miles, it can take 3 hours in the peaks
file:///C:/Users/wirra/Downloads/National%20Express%20West%20Midlands_11A%20(1).pdf

file:///C:/Users/wirra/Downloads/National%20Express%20West%20Midlands_11C.pdf

Busboy105

MW

Quote from: Busboy105 on November 20, 2019, 04:12:13 PM

Anywhere between 2 & 3 hours depending on the time. The best time was late evening, running about 5-8 mins late with a fast Gemini! Good times! I remember doing Acocks Green to Perry Barr on the 11C/E in 45 mins in a Plaxton President!

55 and 94 are operating very late this afternoon.
1827 turned up at Ward End, Fox and Goose at 13:50, 30 minutes late going to Chelmsley
1811 left the City Centre NIS, and presumably had been adjusted.
Due to heavy congestion on Jennens Road presumably.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

sonic84

Got off a 24 in Quinton at 6pm which was apparently 72 minutes late according to the ticket machine.

Kevin

Last 51 tonight
Arrived in town 15 late with a slightly "redecorated" front platform. Driver couldn't even get out his cab, replacement vehicle on way but everyone's given up and got a taxi.
The perils of buses at night
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Tony

Quote from: Kevin on November 24, 2019, 01:32:03 AM
Last 51 tonight
Arrived in town 15 late with a slightly "redecorated" front platform. Driver couldn't even get out his cab, replacement vehicle on way but everyone's given up and got a taxi.
The perils of buses at night

Actually left 50 late!

Westy

Good job it wasn't last week, as my bro & sis went to see Jack Whitehall!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk