News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Boxing Day 2013

Started by the trainbasher, November 10, 2013, 10:18:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the trainbasher

Quote from: Liverpool Street on November 30, 2013, 07:56:27 PM
Quote from: the trainbasher on November 30, 2013, 12:55:20 AM
Quote from: Liverpool Street on November 29, 2013, 09:35:07 PM
How much are TGB/contracted drivers getting paid for boxing day workings? NXWM are £26.03~ per hour iirc

Bloody hell I'd sell my soul to the almighty AVL for that kinda money!

Heh, its only for one day for Sunday duties... average pay time about 5hours so I think you'll be better off doing a 4-day Sunday work for circa 14hours pay at £11.51

At the council we don't eve know what Overtime is...or Sunday working...or Pay Rises!

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Liverpool Street

Quote from: the trainbasher on November 30, 2013, 08:19:14 PM
How much are TGB/contracted drivers getting paid for boxing day workings? NXWM are £26.03~ per hour iirc

Heh, its only for one day for Sunday duties... average pay time about 5hours so I think you'll be better off doing a 4-day Sunday work for circa 14hours pay at £11.51

At the council we don't eve know what Overtime is...or Sunday working...or Pay Rises!

Well NX would be the same if the drivers let them have their own way. Union seems to be weaker every year which passes.
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

williamposh

Quote from: Liverpool Street on November 30, 2013, 08:20:21 PM

Well NX would be the same if the drivers let them have their own way. Union seems to be weaker every year which passes.

The drivers at NX don't know how good they've got it in many ways. Extra pay on a Sunday and very short shifts all week compared to other operators.

andrew1991

Quote from: williamposh on December 01, 2013, 08:47:35 PM
Quote from: Liverpool Street on November 30, 2013, 08:20:21 PM

The drivers at NX don't know how good they've got it in many ways. Extra pay on a Sunday and very short shifts all week compared to other operators.

I'd like to see u say that to a driver. Sundays and bank holidays are paid at standard rate aren't they ?

driver

yes normal rate. and smaller companies pay start to finish. we get 7 hours 36 minuets pay per day so if we do 8 and a half hours driving duty we dont get paid the full amout. so shorter duties are used to adverage our weekly working hours.
also look at our duties now.. not very many are under 7 and a half hours.

Liverpool Street

Quote from: driver on December 02, 2013, 01:40:52 AM
yes normal rate. and smaller companies pay start to finish. we get 7 hours 36 minuets pay per day so if we do 8 and a half hours driving duty we dont get paid the full amout. so shorter duties are used to adverage our weekly working hours.
also look at our duties now.. not very many are under 7 and a half hours.

Well yes and its quite poor as remember they've left the Late Nights, Static Lines, Schools & Specials all in the same rota, so you'll NEVER work the average duty time. I'd say now the driving time is likely to be touching 7 - 7.5hours and the duty time is more like 8 - 8.5hours. Duty compass is touching ~9hours for the same 7hr 36 pay. Majority of working weeks are 45~hours to get paid 7.36. Indeed with smaller companies you get paid the compass less 1hour (for break, but you can have 6hour break and get paid 5hrs), at a lower pay rate, but earning more there then at NX even though the working week is the same length.
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
until it cought fire

williamposh

The average Birmingham duty on a Sunday is 5 hours 30 minutes and paid 7 hours 36 minutes so is effectively a premium rate.  These duties are not included in the weekly average as Sundays are scheduled separately.

As this thread is about Boxing Day and bank holidays then that is what I have stuck to.

Happy to discuss other days as well.

Liverpool Street

Quote from: williamposh on December 02, 2013, 07:56:29 PM
The average Birmingham duty on a Sunday is 5 hours 30 minutes and paid 7 hours 36 minutes so is effectively a premium rate.  These duties are not included in the weekly average as Sundays are scheduled separately.

As this thread is about Boxing Day and bank holidays then that is what I have stuck to.

Happy to discuss other days but as for it being corruption that is a Very strong statement and made by a moderator as well!

'Williamposh' - I use the term loosely, not in the sense you are implying. Its meant as 'the average duty time on rotas shouldn't include... ..but the fact it does leaves it open for me to imply it negatively'

It was within the L A (local agreement) to work shorter Sundays, remember other things were voted out so they keep short Sunday workings.

Anyway, NX Management will get their own way eventually - the new starter contract has ensured that.

EDIT: And whilst we're on the point; Why should the West Midlands go like the rest and work their staff into the ground? Leave Birmingham NX drivers with something, at least.

--

I presume the £26 an hour is across the board at Pensnett and Walsall garages?
until it cought fire

williamposh

I'm not an NX manager.

As far as I am aware it is the same rate at all garages.

I wouldn't want anyone working themselves into the ground but the drivers need to wake up to the fact that a lot of the problems are caused by them being wedded to a scheduling agreement that was written in 1985 when the world was rather different.

The drivers could ask for a 35 hour weekend it could still be better for them and the company.

Liverpool Street

Quote from: williamposh on December 02, 2013, 08:21:19 PM
I'm not an NX manager.

As far as I am aware it is the same rate at all garages.

I wouldn't want anyone working themselves into the ground but the drivers need to wake up to the fact that a lot of the problems are caused by them being wedded to a scheduling agreement that was written in 1985 when the world was rather different.

The drivers could ask for a 35 hour weekend it could still be better for them and the company.

If I'm honest I'd prefer it to be like the system we had when I was in Wales.

You'd be guaranteed a 40hour week, but it would be truly flexi.

Sunday - Off
Monday - 10hr paid duty
Tuesday - 7hr paid duty
Wednesday - 3hr paid duty
Thursday - 12hr paid duty
Friday - Off
Saturday - 8hr paid duty

Then if you do long duties you'd get an extra day off or vice versa. Never had a problem there.

--

I'm expecting Diamond are giving their staff extra for Boxing Day?
until it cought fire

williamposh

No reason why NX couldn't move to this system.

mikestone

has it been established that Wolverhampton doesn't have any evening buses on Boxing Day?

Tony

Quote from: mikestone on December 03, 2013, 06:07:47 PM
has it been established that Wolverhampton doesn't have any evening buses on Boxing Day?

Yes it does have some

Trident 4609

Quote from: Tony on December 03, 2013, 06:26:37 PM

Yes it does have some

126 and 529 will have an evening service on Boxing Day. Shame the 59 hasn't. Ran till 11 last year. But i can't moan about having a 9 minute frequency during the day :)

Tony

Quote from: Trident 4609 on December 03, 2013, 09:37:37 PM
Quote from: Tony on December 03, 2013, 06:26:37 PM

Yes it does have some

126 and 529 will have an evening service on Boxing Day. Shame the 59 hasn't. Ran till 11 last year. But i can't moan about having a 9 minute frequency during the day :)

There are 3 services at Wolverhampton, I cannot remember which is the third and the email with the list is on the account I can only open on a company computer.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk