News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Started by OH25, October 08, 2013, 03:58:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nitromatt1

In all seriousness I wish there was an effective way of stopping smoking on buses. The most a driver can do is report it on the Wayfarer which just makes statistics. Certainly a case for more inspectors on buses who can take action.

Tony

Quote from: nitromatt1 on October 09, 2013, 09:58:18 PM
In all seriousness I wish there was an effective way of stopping smoking on buses. The most a driver can do is report it on the Wayfarer which just makes statistics. Certainly a case for more inspectors on buses who can take action.

People do get prosecuted by Councils for smoking on buses. Plain clothes inspectors / police regularly travel on buses just watching for smokers. They are then prosecuted by the council in whose area they are caught for smoking in an enclosed space

Mike K

Quote from: Tony on October 09, 2013, 08:59:27 PM
A bus shouldn't leave garage with an interior light out, although it will normally be allowed to carry on in service if it happens during the day.

4368 has 3 features fitted to help catch vandals and other crime committed on it which I am not going to list on here, but are not fitted to any other vehicle in the fleet at the moment, and are very innovative.

The best anti vandal feature the bus has is that the destination display hasn't yet been programmed for route 14.

(Tongue firmly in cheek by the way, before the good people of The Rock, Chelmsley etc have a pop at me for disrespecting them)

JoNi

NX Marketing has ideas of colour coding all main corridors into central Birmingham and I've seen a colour coded map with their initial ideas.

While I'm open minded towards branding it should be used for a reason on routes which need to stand out  e.g. to a University for people unfamilar with a city or where where competition has to be seen off.

The current route hubs in central Birmingham mean certain colours will never operate alongside each other.

Just because the destination display can show different colours doesn't mean you have to use it. Some companies tried them but didn't adopt it with Reading being one of the few that have it and some of the colours are hard to see, their buses are painted in route colours anyway ::)

Localised route numbers have been readopted on NX routes, so why not local colours for buses, Birmingham dark blue, Black Country (Midland Red) red, Walsall light blue etc.

51 would be in Walsall livery
74   would be in West Brom livery
126 would be in Wolverhampton
120 would be in Black Country single deckers

You could even reallocate the 900 back to Coventry, they would stand out as they would be red and ivory as on 4453.
No branding needed to stand out, total flexibility at garages.

Obviously many buses in Birmingham would be dark blue and cream, but it would give back local identity used so effectively by the Go Ahead group. 

Liverpool Street

Yes but that would mean that the company loses its identity.

Although I agree and I'd do anything to see the back of the NX name and for it all to be localised. Its highly unlikely for it to happen though.

In addition, what's the point of the full colour displays if they're not going to be used? What's their plan?
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

Russ Smith

Quote from: Liverpool Street on October 10, 2013, 03:56:23 PM

Although I agree and I'd do anything to see the back of the NX name and for it all to be localised. Its highly unlikely for it to happen though.

In addition, what's the point of the full colour displays if they're not going to be used? What's their plan?

I remember being told at Bordesley that they're going to strip back some of the black vinyl around the destination blinds and brand buses with LED colours as part of the blinds, a bit like this http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3795/10190747905_50244f5bb1_z.jpg (only photo of a bus I actually own, it's awful, but you get the idea)

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Russ Smith on October 10, 2013, 04:56:25 PM

I remember being told at Bordesley that they're going to strip back some of the black vinyl around the destination blinds and brand buses with LED colours as part of the blinds, a bit like this http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3795/10190747905_50244f5bb1_z.jpg (only photo of a bus I actually own, it's awful, but you get the idea)

That's just truly awful.

(Not the photoshop, that is very good)
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
until it cought fire

Russ Smith

Quote from: Liverpool Street on October 10, 2013, 06:13:39 PM

That's just truly awful.

I'd imagine it's so that you get less branded buses off-route, but seems a bit limiting in terms of the information you can put on the branding!

I also heard blinds will be going 'smart' in the future, where the via points become more precise as the bus progresses through the route, and places it's already passed disappear, now that sounds good.

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Russ Smith on October 10, 2013, 06:53:27 PM
Quote from: Liverpool Street on October 10, 2013, 06:13:39 PM

That's just truly awful.

I'd imagine it's so that you get less branded buses off-route, but seems a bit limiting in terms of the information you can put on the branding!

I also heard blinds will be going 'smart' in the future, where the via points become more precise as the bus progresses through the route, and places it's already passed disappear, now that sounds good.

Yes but pointless.

They seem to keep getting all this technology but what's the point? Passengers want buses. On time. With sufficient volume of drivers to not lose any mileage.
until it cought fire

wilmotm (Matt Wilmot)

Anybody spotted this out today? Going to try and find it

JB93

The most effective way of stopping smoking on buses (and I have a great deal of respect for bus drivers) is for the driver to grow a pair, go upstairs and confront them, tell them they've phoned the police or will phone the police, and make sure they actually pay attention to passengers telling them about it. I've watched passengers come downstairs before and tell the driver that someone upstairs is smoking and they've completely ignored it and just drove off. Happened to me on the 94 last week. You could smell the smoke all over the bus, even downstairs, but the driver didn't do a thing. Didn't flag down police, didn't pull over, nothing.

winston

Quote from: JB93 on October 11, 2013, 01:27:58 PM
The most effective way of stopping smoking on buses (and I have a great deal of respect for bus drivers) is for the driver to grow a pair, go upstairs and confront them, tell them they've phoned the police or will phone the police, and make sure they actually pay attention to passengers telling them about it. I've watched passengers come downstairs before and tell the driver that someone upstairs is smoking and they've completely ignored it and just drove off. Happened to me on the 94 last week. You could smell the smoke all over the bus, even downstairs, but the driver didn't do a thing. Didn't flag down police, didn't pull over, nothing.

Drivers aren't allowed to leave their cabs, drivers could then potentially be attacked if they we're to confront the culprit, particularly if part of a gang

JoNi

VIP  buses have large effective do not smoke signs,
They do some things right.

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: JoNi on October 11, 2013, 07:17:37 PM

Shouldn't that be one thing right!
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Tony

Quote from: JoNi on October 11, 2013, 07:17:37 PM

You mean the Transport for London ones that happen to be left on most of their buses?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk