News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Christmas Services

Started by notepanel, September 28, 2013, 06:00:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

notepanel

It's only 3 months to go until Christmas so I was just wondering what people think will happen with services this year.

It is rumoured that one part of the UK NX Business will be running services this year on Christmas Day and I wonder how long before NXWM is doing the same?

I can see the Unions putting up a huge fight against it, and it is a topic I personally am very passionate about, but in such a multi-cultural city the demand is surely there?

Kevin

I don't know if it's still the case, but I remember visiting family in Liverpool for Christmas a couple of years ago and there were FREE bus services running, granted only routes going to hospitals, but still amazing to hear about it coming from a city where even boxing day services are crap
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

vinh1000

Maybe on key crucial roots ie service 50/63 every 30 mins or 1 hour :P
Vinny - frequent bus traveller :-)

HELEN - http://mb-web.co.uk/heleninstaller_3.3.msi
Manual:
Mobitec: http://mb-web.co.uk/MIE.zip

Stu

I haven't seen or heard anything about this happening here this year; I expect we'll see the same as last year, and depending on how well the services that ran late on Boxing Day did last year, we may yet see more services with extending running times.

As for Christmas Day, to be honest, the last thing I want to do is catch a bus, and I plan my time around that fact; I usually spend Christmas at my parents, so I'll travel there on Christmas Eve, and then come back home on the 27th, though last year I did have to make use of the Boxing Day services as I was back at work on the 27th.

I suppose the public are that used to there being no services on Christmas Day, and with many big shops and places being closed on that day, unless you're travelling to visit friends and family, is there really such a demand for it?
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

trident4370

Quote from: vinh1000 on September 28, 2013, 06:40:28 PM

Wouldnt be much point in running the 50 as it mainly serves shops all of which would be closed on Christmas Day! I can see Hospital Buses and residential routes being a possibility though but again it is new ground, it would be trial and error as to which routes would work and which routes nobody would use but with a lot of Taxis charging double fares on Christmas Day I'm sure a skeleton Bus service would be welcome. I could see a 76E from QE - Robin Hood Island being a contender as it is both residential and serves the QE but I am struggling to think of other routes that might have a reasonable level of demand rather than 2 or 3 people per bus.

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: trident4370 on September 28, 2013, 07:19:38 PM
Quote from: vinh1000 on September 28, 2013, 06:40:28 PM

Wouldnt be much point in running the 50 as it mainly serves shops all of which would be closed on Christmas Day! I can see Hospital Buses and residential routes being a possibility though but again it is new ground, it would be trial and error as to which routes would work and which routes nobody would use but with a lot of Taxis charging double fares on Christmas Day I'm sure a skeleton Bus service would be welcome. I could see a 76E from QE - Robin Hood Island being a contender as it is both residential and serves the QE but I am struggling to think of other routes that might have a reasonable level of demand rather than 2 or 3 people per bus.

Problem is what would National Express charge. As its not a normal travel day, and any drivers that volunteer would want extra wages, can't see the normal fare structure applying or OAP passes being valid?
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Nathan4775

wonder if the 934 will do a full service or only to Pheasey ?

What about people with the Disabled Passes? an I feel that OAP's should be able to go out on Boxing day they have as much right as the younger Generation  :)
My Flickr;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/90949252@N04/
-----------------------------------------------------------------
4775, 4770, 4697, 4698 , 4141, 4444, 4555

Trident 4609

Quote from: Nathan4775 on September 28, 2013, 07:27:28 PM

What about people with the Disabled Passes? an I feel that OAP's should be able to go out on Boxing day they have as much right as the younger Generation  :)

The 934 will probably operate as a 934E. Tbh Boxing Day bus service is becoming almost a regular Sunday service now and i think that a sunday service should run as reported last year there seemed to be packed buses so there is obviously a demand for it

Nathan4775

Quote from: Trident 4609 on September 28, 2013, 07:35:55 PM
Quote from: Nathan4775 on September 28, 2013, 07:27:28 PM

The 934 will probably operate as a 934E. Tbh Boxing Day bus service is becoming almost a regular Sunday service now and i think that a sunday service should run as reported last year there seemed to be packed buses so there is obviously a demand for it

All well and good it being Sunday service but in some areas a bus does not run on a Sunday therefore they possibly cannot get out until New Years Eve/Day which doesnt seem fair really.
My Flickr;

Trident 4609

Why can't they get out till New Year if they don't have a Sunday bus service. Unless its a Sunday
the 27th/28th/29th/30th and New Years eve run as Saturday service usually so a bus service would operate in those areas without a Sunday service during that period of time.

And if they had no sunday bus service those people wouldn't be able to get out on New Years day as that is Sunday Service ;)

Nathan4775

Not everyone drives a car or has money to pay for a taxi ?, unlike me I have several bus routes so Im alright  ;)

My Flickr;

Stuharris 6360

The estate i live on has only a Monday to Friday service, and with it normally being Saturday service between Xmas & New Year, we would have no service, but Centro always show it as a service running to Monday to Friday timetable.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Liverpool Street

How about just keep it a day off, with £25 per hour on Boxing day for drivers, you'll have to pay them minimum £40 a hour for Christmas day. Besides I'm against the destruction of this country's  Christian values. I doubt you'll get many Christians out on Christmas Day, its a family day after all.

Mmm... I think this is PC gone too far.
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

Westy

I don't agree with Xmas Day services either,  but if there has to be any, it should be a special network for the hospitals benefit.

Quite how you would define the hospital core routes is another matter.

Good luck whoever wants to try working that one out!

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Westy on September 28, 2013, 11:37:59 PM
I don't agree with Xmas Day services either,  but if there has to be any, it should be a special network for the hospitals benefit.

Quite how you would define the hospital core routes is another matter.

Good luck whoever wants to try working that one out!

I don't see why you should even have a service to the hospitals; for drunks to get a direct link to the A&E? And if you need to visit relatives on Christmas Day itself, if its that important not to do it the day before or after, then there's a Taxi service or I'm sure one family member drives? I'd say a total No for this proposition.
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk