News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Christmas Services

Started by notepanel, September 28, 2013, 06:00:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Niall

Quote from: Liverpool Street on September 28, 2013, 11:45:24 PM
Quote from: Westy on September 28, 2013, 11:37:59 PM
I don't agree with Xmas Day services either,  but if there has to be any, it should be a special network for the hospitals benefit.

Quite how you would define the hospital core routes is another matter.

Good luck whoever wants to try working that one out!

I don't see why you should even have a service to the hospitals; for drunks to get a direct link to the A&E? And if you need to visit relatives on Christmas Day itself, if its that important not to do it the day before or after, then there's a Taxi service or I'm sure one family member drives? I'd say a total No for this proposition.

Unfortunately a relative of mine was taken ill on Christmas day a couple of years back and taken to City Hospital, we ended up spending most of the day there. FREE parking on Christmas day.
I'm on Flickr and Youtube

Liverpool Street

Quote from: N94 on September 28, 2013, 11:49:07 PM
I don't agree with Xmas Day services either,  but if there has to be any, it should be a special network for the hospitals benefit.

I don't see why you should even have a service to the hospitals; for drunks to get a direct link to the A&E? And if you need to visit relatives on Christmas Day itself, if its that important not to do it the day before or after, then there's a Taxi service or I'm sure one family member drives? I'd say a total No for this proposition.

Unfortunately a relative of mine was taken ill on Christmas day a couple of years back and taken to City Hospital, we ended up spending most of the day there. FREE parking on Christmas day.

It is an unfortunate event, but what if it was a 2 hour service (one bus), and you've just missed it, would you wait 2hours or just drive? Honestly, I don't think the vast majority of "passengers" deserve Christmas service. HOWEVER, This is a company we're talking about so its all about profits...
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

the trainbasher

Ok. How's this for a Christmas Day example?

Family A has no one to drive anywhere, wants to go to Hospital to visit relatives, taxi fares are extortionate (normally £10 but as taxi is double time over Christmas). Would you rather their loved one not see anyone for that day or see the Christmas spirit being passed on to aid persons recovery. Their local bus is on Sundays hourly normally

Family B has no one to drive anywhere, member of family is called into work in the service industry. Either 3 mile hike or extortionate taxi (normally £7 but as taxi is double time over Christmas) into work. Would you rather they got to work safely or risk getting attacked by drunks? They would have to catch 2 buses which are both hourly on Sundays normally with a 10 min connection.

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Liverpool Street

Quote from: the trainbasher on September 28, 2013, 11:57:53 PM

Ok. How's this for a Christmas Day example?

Family A has no one to drive anywhere, wants to go to Hospital to visit relatives, taxi fares are extortionate (normally £10 but as taxi is double time over Christmas). Would you rather their loved one not see anyone for that day or see the Christmas spirit being passed on to aid persons recovery. Their local bus is on Sundays hourly normally

Family B has no one to drive anywhere, member of family is called into work in the service industry. Either 3 mile hike or extortionate taxi (normally £7 but as taxi is double time over Christmas) into work. Would you rather they got to work safely or risk getting attacked by drunks? They would have to catch 2 buses which are both hourly on Sundays normally with a 10 min connection.

Mm..

What did they do for all the previous years there were no services on Christmas Day?

Family A) could visit on Eve or Boxing day, thats what I did for none-immediate family.

Family B) if that person was called into work on Christmas Day, their work would provide a link to their premises; or they would have to own a car if a work-contract was one which could be called upon 24/7.

Would you want to work Christmas Day driving buses? Actually, that'll probably be one of the best presents you could get according to you haha ..
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

wilmotm (Matt Wilmot)

Totally 100% wholeheartedly agree with LS on this one, completely against a bus service on Christmas day, in this day and age where on average each household owns 2 cars I believe that if they really needed to 99% of people would be able to find a lift from friends family to get somewhere on Christmas day, I.e. Hospital

mranon

christmas day - just 1 day no bus should move an inch. dont think its unfair to give bus staff a day with their loved ones. besides the fares would have to be a lot higher to compensate for staff giving up such an important day

Sh4318

Quote from: Nathan4775 on September 28, 2013, 07:27:28 PM
wonder if the 934 will do a full service or only to Pheasey ?

What about people with the Disabled Passes? an I feel that OAP's should be able to go out on Boxing day they have as much right as the younger Generation  :)

You'll probably get 934Es & 935As
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Sh4318

Christmas Day services would be a bit of a joke, and frankly a waste of money

Stuharris 6360

Wonder if this year, National Express will consider putting additional services on routes when Sunday service is in operation and days over Xmas & New Year.

For instance, a couple of years ago, the 9 had additional services running between Birmingham & Quinton during the day.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

CL

Well, if the silly british weather decides that it's a good time to snow, then i guess that they shouldn't run any services (due to hazards & of course, Christmas itself) however, if it doesn't snow heavily, then i guess its okay to run one bus every (half) hour(?), depending on the popularity of the route
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

Westy

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on September 29, 2013, 09:49:37 PM
Wonder if this year, National Express will consider putting additional services on routes when Sunday service is in operation and days over Xmas & New Year.

For instance, a couple of years ago, the 9 had additional services running between Birmingham & Quinton during the day.

I had a problem a few years back.

I was down to work one of the days scheduled as a Sunday service (Can't remember if it was a Christmas or not! ).

Shops were open at 9am rather than 10am, but NX buses didn't start until 10!

I remember one year there was a 301 from Bloxwich around 730am which would have helped,  but this wasn't repeated on the following occasion.

It's all very well in Birmingham,  but what about the rest of the area?

Sh4318

I was very impressed with the Boxing Day services last year. The 82 and 87 were both every 15 minutes. The 89 ran on Boxing Day for the first time ever, alongside the 83. The 9 was every half hour, as well as the 141, and the 140 was every 30 minutes between Birmingham and Blackheath (hourly to Dudley). This may interest some - Boxing Day timetables from last year:-

Stu

Quote from: Sh4166 on September 29, 2013, 10:33:37 PM

I was very impressed with the Boxing Day services last year. The 82 and 87 were both every 15 minutes. The 89 ran on Boxing Day for the first time ever, alongside the 83. The 9 was every half hour, as well as the 141, and the 140 was every 30 minutes between Birmingham and Blackheath (hourly to Dudley). This may interest some - Boxing Day timetables from last year:-

Yes, last year was a big improvement, as in previous years all services had stopped running by about 8pm. Lucky for me, as I spend Christmas at my parents, normally I travel home on the day after Boxing Day, but last year I was back at work the next day, which meant travelling home on Boxing Day. As it happened, I was able to get the last 120 from Langley into city at 19:38, but just missed the 20:07 31A, which wasn't a biggie as there was a 37 a few minutes later!
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Trident 4609

Well i do quite well on a Boxing Day with services as i have the 59 every 11-12 minutes and the 89 every 60 minutes. 59 ran till 11PM last year

nitromatt1

Quote from: Trident 4609 on September 30, 2013, 07:42:11 PM
Well i do quite well on a Boxing Day with services as i have the 59 every 11-12 minutes and the 80 every 60 minutes. 59 ran till 11PM last year

You mean the 89 not the 80 Nath ;) ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk