News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Bus Stops ?

Started by Nathan4775, August 28, 2013, 08:24:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJ

Quote from: mesub on January 03, 2022, 09:57:30 PM
No problem!

Before the pandemic, I reported things and they seemed to be fixed within a few days. For electronic displays, I got a follow up email when they said they had fixed it.

Not sure about now though  ???

I presume it depends on the issue, the faulty light at the stop by Wednesbury Great Western St tram stop for the 11/11A got fixed within a couple of days when I reported it.

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

MasterPlan

The bus flags on the X21/X22 route at the Church Road stop (both sides) say Arthur Road, Carpenter Road.

The Carpenter Road stops are correct.
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

Gareth

Quote from: Gareth on January 03, 2022, 09:44:36 PM
Thank you! Let's see how long it takes to get fixed!

The display was finally fixed today! 🙌🏼 23 days from reporting. Glad to see it back finally.

DJ

On the topic of bus stops, I wonder how many old stop flags still survive? I recall seeing one in Tipton a while back, along with one in Darlaston and one in Bloxwich, along with the old flags in Water Orton, unless they've been changed now. I also found another today in Wednesbury, which still has the old 645/646 route numbers on there, and it's still a valid stop for the 65 and 67 according to both Google and bustimes.

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

Quote from: DJ on January 27, 2022, 12:09:15 AM
along with the old flags in Water Orton, unless they've been changed now.
No they haven't.
I caught 7517 and 6947 back on the X13 there last week and they say 590A/590C still. Plank Lane stop had them.

The flags in Warwickshire and Staffordshire tend to show poor quality like these from my experience, compared to the ones in the West Mids.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Quote from: 2206 on January 27, 2022, 12:26:30 AM
No they haven't.
I caught 7517 and 6947 back on the X13 there last week and they say 590A/590C still. Plank Lane stop had them.

The flags in Warwickshire and Staffordshire tend to show poor quality like these from my experience, compared to the ones in the West Mids.
Not a flag but Stand SB at Birmingham International (the one where the X1 to Coventry and X12 to Solihull) stop has old service numbers on the wall to 73, 555, 676, 966.
A few years ago SA (X1 to Birmingham) at Birmingham International also used to have old route numbers on the wall but they've been removed from that one for a while now.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Justin Tyme

Quote from: DJ on January 27, 2022, 12:09:15 AM
On the topic of bus stops, I wonder how many old stop flags still survive?

There are some old ones between Solihull and Coventry - the first two in the TfWM area, the third in Warwickshire: -

• On the B4102 approaching Meriden from Solihull, just after Heath Farm, there is an old West Midlands stop bearing the route numbers 192 and 194.  Although on Johnsons X20 route, this stop seems to be out of use and isn't listed as a stop on the TfWM website.

• On the A452 in Balsall Common (northbound), just before Gipsy Lane, is a bus stop with a Heart of England Services sticker (from the 1980s).  This is still used by Johnsons 87 towards Solihull.

• On Hodgetts Lane (northbound) in Burton Green, just after turning from Cromwell Lane, is a bus stop also with a Heart of England sticker and bearing very old route numbers 24, 34 and 44 (from late 1970s/early 1980s WMPTE days).  Again this is still used by Johnsons 87 towards Solihull.  At least one other stop in Burton Green still mentions the 192 or 194.

It's probably worth saying here that when WMPTE was a bus operator, it managed bus stops on virtually all of its routes - so WMPTE stops could be seen in places such as Cannock, Hednesford, Lichfield, Bedworth and, of course, Burton Green (most which was in fact in Solihull from 1974 until the 1990s).  I think West Midlands Travel continued this general policy, but it largely stopped (with a few exceptions) when Centro/Network WM took over control of bus stops in its area.

j789

Between Maypole and Wythall on the Alcester road, a number of stops are old TWM ones. The TWM name are now covered by Worcestershire county council stickers but a couple of the stops have the stickers peeling off showing the TWM stop from the old 50A days.

I noticed today google maps and bus times seem to show a bus stop on Smorrall Lane in a location where one doesn't actually exist. The next one shown further up outside  a function room does exist though.
A bit like how they show a bus stop on Hurst Lane North that doesn't actually exist as well.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

MasterPlan

Flag at the Edencroft stop on the X21/X22 route has been replaced with a "temporary stop" flag for some reason. Guessing an error somewhere there.

Speaking of temporary stops, whos job is it to install new stops? As the temp stops on Woodcock Lane still haven't been done. Though, I don't see the point of one of them as the existing 'Woodcock School' flag even says "both directions' on it.

Stu

Quote from: MasterPlan on February 21, 2022, 06:17:39 PM
Flag at the Edencroft stop on the X21/X22 route has been replaced with a "temporary stop" flag for some reason. Guessing an error somewhere there.

A perfectly good flag wouldn't be replaced with a 'temporary stop' one "in error". Maybe it was damaged, or snapped off in the wind?

Quote from: MasterPlan on February 21, 2022, 06:17:39 PM
Speaking of temporary stops, whos job is it to install new stops? As the temp stops on Woodcock Lane still haven't been done. Though, I don't see the point of one of them as the existing 'Woodcock School' flag even says "both directions' on it.

Installation of bus stops is down to TfWM in conjunction with local councils.

I wonder if there is an ambition to move away from "both directions" stops though. I noticed a while back that the Hollie Lucas Road stop on Wheelers Lane (on the 76 route) used to have one pole with a flag showing 'and opposite', now there are poles on either side of the road. Perhaps it is clearer for waiting passengers and drivers?
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

MasterPlan

Quote from: Stu on February 21, 2022, 06:51:37 PM
A perfectly good flag wouldn't be replaced with a 'temporary stop' one "in error". Maybe it was damaged, or snapped off in the wind?

Installation of bus stops is down to TfWM in conjunction with local councils.

I wonder if there is an ambition to move away from "both directions" stops though. I noticed a while back that the Hollie Lucas Road stop on Wheelers Lane (on the 76 route) used to have one pole with a flag showing 'and opposite', now there are poles on either side of the road. Perhaps it is clearer for waiting passengers and drivers?

Yeah, probably. It has been quite windy lately!

To be honest Im not a fan of the 'and opposite' flags either, I just thought it would be a waste of time doing both possibly.

MasterPlan

I see the temporary bus stop on George Road has finally been removed since the work at the top of Bath Row has been completed. Bus stop there now for 80/X21/X22.

MasterPlan

Is the bus stop on Bath Row for Five Ways Station going to be corrected at some point? As it still shows 80 only.

Also noticed that a flag has finally been put down next to the temporary bus stop poster on Woodcock Lane (inbound) but nothing yet the other way.

Still not recognised on the NSA though.

The board showing where to catch your bus on Priory Queensway just before the X21/X22/61/63 stop is full of old numbers 98, X64, 952, 55, X70. Some of the information on there is nearly 5 years out of date.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk