News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Bus Stops ?

Started by Nathan4775, August 28, 2013, 08:24:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ellspurs

I noticed something peculiar the other day.

On the Bristol Road at Selly Oak, there are two bus stops on the "to City" side just after the triangle junction of the A4040, A38 and B384 (next to Frankie and Benny's). Both of these stops have flags with the same services on them (61 and 63). One of them was in the current red/white style, whereas the other one is in the older dark blue style.

Looking on Google Maps, the first stop used to be flagged for the 144 (stop SP) with the second one flagged for 61/63 (stop SQ).

When I go past it next (hopefully tomorrow), I'll try to see if the new stop has SQ on it, which would suggest it got put in the wrong place. Other than that I wouldn't have a clue as to why that's happened.

clentboy7922

Quote from: ellspurs on July 30, 2020, 07:00:50 PM

On the Bristol Road at Selly Oak, there are two bus stops on the "to City" side just after the triangle junction of the A4040, A38 and B384 (next to Frankie and Benny's). Both of these stops have flags with the same services on them (61 and 63). One of them was in the current red/white style, whereas the other one is in the older dark blue style.

Looking on Google Maps, the first stop used to be flagged for the 144 (stop SP) with the second one flagged for 61/63 (stop SQ).

When I go past it next (hopefully tomorrow), I'll try to see if the new stop has SQ on it, which would suggest it got put in the wrong place. Other than that I wouldn't have a clue as to why that's happened.
Long standing agreement between Midland Red & Birmingham City Transport & thier successors had to be overcome to allow all buses to stop at the same stop on Bristol Rd.

Quote from: clentboy7922 on July 30, 2020, 07:55:31 PM
Long standing agreement between Midland Red & Birmingham City Transport & thier successors had to be overcome to allow all buses to stop at the same stop on Bristol Rd.
The 61, 63, X62, X64, used to stop at the same stop as the 144. It used to be the 76 towards Solihull on the flag at the other stop, 76 no longer goes that way now. So presumably any agreement was overcome over a decade ago.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Stu

The junction is being 'remodelled' so I'd guess that the one bus shelter is to ultimately be removed, and all city-bound services will use the same stop.

I haven't been over to Selly Oak for some time, so am not abreast of what's happening at present there, as I haven't seen for myself.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

clentboy7922

Quote from: 2206 on July 30, 2020, 07:58:34 PM
The 61, 63, X62, X64, used to stop at the same stop as the 144. It used to be the 76 towards Solihull on the flag at the other stop, 76 no longer goes that way now. So presumably any agreement was overcome over a decade ago.
Midland Red West had to legally put thier bus stop flag on the lampost to comply with the agreement at the stop its only been recently removed

Dom

Quote from: clentboy7922 on July 30, 2020, 07:55:31 PM

Well, well, well, look who we have here.

Quote from: Dom on July 30, 2020, 09:04:16 PM

Looking on the 2010 street view on google maps, the only flag I can see is one that say "61, 62, 63, 143, 144" and that's on the bus stop.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.4412387,-1.9382476,3a,15y,251.96h,86.98t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sugByY7w-B5EPeNGpXkx6Jw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

No flag on the lamppost from what I can see. So not sure about "only recently removed".
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

MW

Quote from: Dom on July 30, 2020, 09:04:16 PM

Pmsl is that him again?!

Dom

MasterPlan

Quote from: Stu on July 30, 2020, 08:29:34 PM
The junction is being 'remodelled' so I'd guess that the one bus shelter is to ultimately be removed, and all city-bound services will use the same stop.

I haven't been over to Selly Oak for some time, so am not abreast of what's happening at present there, as I haven't seen for myself.

It's still progressing, slowly.
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

ellspurs

I went past it again today, and the new flag doesn't denote a stop code on it. As Stu said, they're probably going to remove one of the stops and didn't want to leave it blank. Strange though that the 144 no longer stops there.

Quote from: MasterPlan on July 31, 2020, 01:30:52 AM
It's still progressing, slowly.

Very, very slowly. If I'm not going through at 6am I usually end up getting stuck there for 10-15 minutes. Very poorly set up junctions all around there.

MasterPlan

Quote from: ellspurs on August 01, 2020, 12:01:48 AM
I went past it again today, and the new flag doesn't denote a stop code on it. As Stu said, they're probably going to remove one of the stops and didn't want to leave it blank. Strange though that the 144 no longer stops there.

Very, very slowly. If I'm not going through at 6am I usually end up getting stuck there for 10-15 minutes. Very poorly set up junctions all around there.

Yeah, I went past them yesterday on 5517. It does look odd, but I'd imagine one of them will get removed like you say. I believe the 144 is a Limited Stop service.

As for the roadworks, it can get pretty bad in Selly Oak if there's any disruption whatsoever.
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

bususer28

I was on the X1 today and noticed that there was a new bus stop shelter at Kings Road in Small Heath. It looked like the ones they are trialling for sprint, does anyone know anything else about this? They looked really nice so I hope they are.

Busboy105

Quote from: bususer28 on August 01, 2020, 06:04:04 PM
I was on the X1 today and noticed that there was a new bus stop shelter at Kings Road in Small Heath. It looked like the ones they are trialling for sprint, does anyone know anything else about this? They looked really nice so I hope they are.
That stop has been there for months now. And yes it is for Sprint.

ellspurs

Quote from: Busboy105 on August 01, 2020, 06:29:36 PM
That stop has been there for months now. And yes it is for Sprint.

At that junction I'm usually too busy trying to avoid the insane idiots chopping and changing lanes to notice that there was a new bus stop there!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk