News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Johnsons

Started by jc, May 02, 2012, 06:07:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barry

LGD Heading to sunny Torquay for 5 days. LGC went at the crack of dawn to the Forest of Bowland and the Ribble Valley, again back on Friday. Great to see tour customers back on board once again.

JPC

The X20 service seems to be having a route change in two weeks time, 21/06/21, between Solihull to Coventry to additionally serve the village/hamlet of Eastcote, presumably this has requested by TfWM and will be evaluated, it's quite a sparse rural area but there is some houses, some industrial premises and a garden centre.  It adds a mile to each journey - so some extra excitement for those on a bus jolly.

Closer to Coventry there is plans for a considerable amount of new housing between the A45 and Eastern Green, planned spine roads has bus gates linking to/from Parkhill terminus and Pickford Green Lane, from a X20 perspective this could see off the silly routing at Millisons Wood, the 88/88A could also potentially come into play by extending from Balsall Common through to Coventry via Berkswell and the new estate, of course it will probably be a few years until any change occurs here and Cov Council have indicated they aspire for the NX X1 to serve the new estate, but the more services the better.

MW

Quote from: JPC on June 05, 2021, 07:50:46 PM
The X20 service seems to be having a route change in two weeks time, 21/06/21, between Solihull to Coventry to additionally serve the village/hamlet of Eastcote, presumably this has requested by TfWM and will be evaluated, it's quite a sparse rural area but there is some houses, some industrial premises and a garden centre.  It adds a mile to each journey - so some extra excitement for those on a bus jolly.

Closer to Coventry there is plans for a considerable amount of new housing between the A45 and Eastern Green, planned spine roads has bus gates linking to/from Parkhill terminus and Pickford Green Lane, from a X20 perspective this could see off the silly routing at Millisons Wood, the 88/88A could also potentially come into play by extending from Balsall Common through to Coventry via Berkswell and the new estate, of course it will probably be a few years until any change occurs here and Cov Council have indicated they aspire for the NX X1 to serve the new estate, but the more services the better.

Why is the route silly in Millisons Wood? Yes it's going back on itself for a total of 2 bus stops, but those 2 bus stops are busy (relative to the route) by office/staff from the nearby buildings and old people.

It's annoying to do when you're driving a knackered bus going up that hill but under Johnson's, this shouldn't be an issue.

ellspurs

Quote from: MW on June 05, 2021, 09:15:45 PM
Why is the route silly in Millisons Wood? Yes it's going back on itself for a total of 2 bus stops, but those 2 bus stops are busy (relative to the route) by office/staff from the nearby buildings and old people.

It's annoying to do when you're driving a knackered bus going up that hill but under Johnson's, this shouldn't be an issue.

Way back when, there used to be a bus-only right turn from the bottom of Millisons Wood onto the A45. The 159/900 would just trundle straight down, then turn right onto the A45 and continue on its merry way to Coventry. This got closed off in the mid-to-late 90s. The 900 used to follow the same route that the X20 did, until the route was changed to the current one with an extra 900A going down there every hour. Then at some point in the 2000s, the old 192/194/19X route was changed into the 82, and this bus eventually rerouted from Berkswell/Balsall Common and sent down to Millisons Wood, allowing the 900 to just skip it on its way to Coventry.

JPC

Quote from: MW on June 05, 2021, 09:15:45 PM
Quote from: ellspurs on June 05, 2021, 10:00:51 PM
Way back when, there used to be a bus-only right turn from the bottom of Millisons Wood onto the A45. The 159/900 would just trundle straight down, then turn right onto the A45 and continue on its merry way to Coventry. This got closed off in the mid-to-late 90s. The 900 used to follow the same route that the X20 did, until the route was changed to the current one with an extra 900A going down there every hour. Then at some point in the 2000s, the old 192/194/19X route was changed into the 82, and this bus eventually rerouted from Berkswell/Balsall Common and sent down to Millisons Wood, allowing the 900 to just skip it on its way to Coventry.

Yes, the X20 is only Coventry bound service at Millisons Wood so will be relatively busy and obviously needed, but I am indicating what I desire and may ultimately happen at some point in the future - a simplified routing of the X20 and X1 covering Millisons Wood and the new estate in both directions.

ellspurs

Could also be a lot simpler to divert the X20 up Pickford Green Lane, Upper Eastern Green Lane and Parkhill Drive. Would also give a full service through the Parkhill Estate, which currently only has one bus stop on the estate.

paulb1973

Quote from: ellspurs on June 05, 2021, 10:00:51 PM

That right turn onto the A45 was a death experience at busy times. I think buses did it in two moves, waiting in the middle section of the dual-carriageway to make it onto the Coventry-bound section. Naturally it could take a while for a gap to appear, with cars travelling at 60mph.

Justin Tyme

Quote from: paulb1973 on June 06, 2021, 10:48:13 AM
That right turn onto the A45 was a death experience at busy times. I think buses did it in two moves, waiting in the middle section of the dual-carriageway to make it onto the Coventry-bound section. Naturally it could take a while for a gap to appear, with cars travelling at 60mph.
I remember that - it was dangerous.  The gap was for all traffic until being restricted to buses only, no doubt for safety reasons, for the final year or two.

A few miles before that there was also a right turn for the eastbound 159/900 off the A45 onto the old Birmingham Road to get to Meriden - again crossing traffic pounding down the incline at 60 mph, although at least there was more visibility than at Millisons Wood.

paulb1973

Quote from: Justin Tyme on June 06, 2021, 03:42:54 PM
I remember that - it was dangerous.  The gap was for all traffic until being restricted to buses only, no doubt for safety reasons, for the final year or two.

A few miles before that there was also a right turn for the eastbound 159/900 off the A45 onto the old Birmingham Road to get to Meriden - again crossing traffic pounding down the incline at 60 mph, although at least there was more visibility than at Millisons Wood.

Suppose I meant 'near-death experience' - but they were both dicey moves. I had thought that right-turn into Meriden was still open! (but, presumably not).

ellspurs

Quote from: paulb1973 on June 06, 2021, 06:34:23 PM
Suppose I meant 'near-death experience' - but they were both dicey moves. I had thought that right-turn into Meriden was still open! (but, presumably not).

They put a barrier across it when the bridge further up was built. You can still see where the road was, as they never filled it in.

The left turn onto the A45 from there is still rather dicey today. I tend to just drive up through Millisons Wood and Meriden and join the A45 at the other end.

ellspurs

Quote from: JPC on June 05, 2021, 07:50:46 PM

I've found that this appears to actually be a necessity, as the B4102 Solihull Road is being closed for around 18 months for HS2 works: https://www.tfwm.org.uk/plan-your-journey/major-roadworks-and-events/interchange-m42-j6/solihull-road-closure/

Justin Tyme

Quote from: ellspurs on June 19, 2021, 08:46:05 PM
I've found that this appears to actually be a necessity, as the B4102 Solihull Road is being closed for around 18 months for HS2 works: https://www.tfwm.org.uk/plan-your-journey/major-roadworks-and-events/interchange-m42-j6/solihull-road-closure/

Correct - the reason is in fact M42 junction 6 works, with new slip roads being built that reach to below the B4102 bridge.  Johnsons' website says the change is permanent, which I guess is likely to be a TfWM decision.  A new retirement development has recently opened at Eastcote which could generate a few passengers.

Stevo

The B4102 is now closed with all traffic diverted via Eastcote.

Trident 4194

Metro decker taken out of service on x20 after taking the tree reflector off in Meriden. Shame the driver got too close to trees

Trident 4194

Quote from: Tony on July 03, 2021, 12:48:13 PM
More personal critisism? Never done anything wrong in your life?

Must say those metrodeckers sh*t on the nx platinum brand. Tables inside and everything

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk