News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Perry Barr Garage

Started by 6013, July 22, 2013, 09:39:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John

Quote from: MasterPlan on January 10, 2020, 03:07:29 PM
There used to be more 16A journeys didn't there? Didn't some get withdrawn?

Nearly all of the 16s used to start and finish at Scott Arms as an A to go to and from garage

Stu

From Birmingham Mail:

Investigation into millions being spent on moving bus depot just 300 metres in Birmingham

Relocation of the National Express bus depot is costing the council nearly eight times as much as first thought - totalling over £13 million

Full article: https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/investigation-multi-million-bid-move-17586367

I don't know if it is just me, but there is an 'undercurrent' behind this story, and reading between the lines there appears to be some insinuation that the cost of this relocation has jumped from £2m to £15m and that National Express are getting this shiny new depot 'for free', at council taxpayers expense.

Seems to me like the BM are trying to whip up the public and get them angry, but are not telling the full story.

Am I right in thinking that NX would have been happy to keep the depot at its present location? Does NX own the building or is it rented/leased? Isn't this all a massive inconvenience for NX?

As far as I am aware, the council wanted this land so they could build this 'athletes village' for the Commonwealth Games.

Its always amazing how when it comes to schemes like these, there's always millions of pounds of money available if you shake the magic money tree hard enough!
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

monkeyjoe

Definitely can't see the 94 getting allocated brand new vehicles now or even branding if backlash starts lol

Ginger66

the athletes are here for a few weeks and it is a massive farce,   surely they could have put up athletes in the student accommodation of uni of coventry, university of birmingham, aston bcu and wolverhampton university.   as universities would have broke up for summer and nearly all rooms would have been free. 

there is no need to move Perry Barr garage

Tony

Quote from: Ginger66 on January 18, 2020, 05:29:38 PM
the athletes are here for a few weeks and it is a massive farce,   surely they could have put up athletes in the student accommodation of uni of coventry, university of birmingham, aston bcu and wolverhampton university.   as universities would have broke up for summer and nearly all rooms would have been free. 

there is no need to move Perry Barr garage

The idea is to build lots of affordable housing for Birmingham residents, but use it for the athletes before putting it on the market, The price may be a farce, but the idea certainly isn't.

richardjones210368

Quote from: Tony on January 18, 2020, 06:35:24 PM
The idea is to build lots of affordable housing for Birmingham residents, but use it for the athletes before putting it on the market, The price may be a farce, but the idea certainly isn't.
The Mayor campaigned hard for the Commonwealth Games @Tony  and it will be delivered by The Commonwealth Games Delivery Team within the agreed budget between now and 2022. I have full confidence in my colleagues the other members of the delivery team and we look to deliver a successful games to Birmingham

Stu

Quote from: richardjones210368 on January 18, 2020, 06:43:26 PM
The Mayor campaigned hard for the Commonwealth Games @Tony  and it will be delivered by The Commonwealth Games Delivery Team within the agreed budget between now and 2022. I have full confidence in my colleagues the other members of the delivery team and we look to deliver a successful games to Birmingham

Can you comment on why the cost of relocating this bus depot has increased from £2m to £15m?
My locals:

richardjones210368

Quote from: Stu on January 18, 2020, 06:51:01 PM
Can you comment on why the cost of relocating this bus depot has increased from £2m to £15m?
To be honest @Stu I wish I could I am honest with everything else I do but I am subject to a confidentiality clause on this one as soon as I can publically comment on the forum about specific aspects such as this I will at the moment its protected marked..

mesub

Quote from: richardjones210368 on January 18, 2020, 07:59:32 PM
To be honest @Stu I wish I could I am honest with everything else I do but I am subject to a confidentiality clause on this one as soon as I can publically comment on the forum about specific aspects such as this I will at the moment its protected marked..

Very interesting how you can tell us that there's a tube station underneath Buckingham Palace but can't tell us this.
23 - Bartley Green
76 - Northfield
X20 - Birmingham Via Longbridge, Northfield & QE Hospital / University

richardjones210368

Quote from: mesub on January 18, 2020, 09:52:52 PM
Very interesting how you can tell us that there's a tube station underneath Buckingham Palace but can't tell us this.
SIMPLE I got clearance from my line manager in Whitehall to post that its was ok as it was historic this topic is protected marked and therefore I cannot comment.

danny

Tbf a simple YouTube search and Geoff Marshall (if you are a fan of the tube, look him up, his channel is nothing short of fascinating) shows the secret entrance from parliament square station to the houses of Parliament.
Danny :) proud swift, mango and oyster user...

My locals 12, 12A, 13, 22, 126, and the sixes every weekend :)

richardjones210368

Quote from: danny on January 19, 2020, 08:20:36 PM
Tbf a simple YouTube search and Geoff Marshall (if you are a fan of the tube, look him up, his channel is nothing short of fascinating) shows the secret entrance from parliament square station to the houses of Parliament.
I did say it was historic and I had no trouble getting the post cleared.

People smoking on 4799 earlier. What's the point of having safer travel police at Saltley Gate, with the inspectors if they are not going to tell these people to get off. Supposed to be part of there job surely.

Don't think it is very good people think it acceptable and will hardly encourage people onto the bus.

Also never see them on the X1/X2 routes, a few frequeny people who routinely refuse to pay on there and that turn threatening with passengers when you don't give them money, when they are begging. Hardly going to encourage people onto the bus either. In the Sheldon area at the Wheatsheaf/ Lyndon Road towards Birmingham City Centre
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Tony

Quote from: 2206 on January 25, 2020, 06:04:12 PM
People smoking on 4799 earlier. What's the point of having safer travel police at Saltley Gate, with the inspectors if they are not going to tell these people to get off. Part of there job surely.

Did you, or anyone else tell them who had been smoking?

Stu

Quote from: 2206 on January 25, 2020, 06:04:12 PM
People smoking on 4799 earlier. What's the point of having safer travel police at Saltley Gate, with the inspectors if they are not going to tell these people to get off. Supposed to be part of there job surely.

Don't think it is very good people think it acceptable and will hardly encourage people onto the bus.

Also never see them on the X1/X2 routes, a few frequeny people who refuse to pay on there and that turn threatening with passengers when you don't give them money, when they are begging. Hardly going to encourage people onto the bus either. In the Sheldon area at the Wheatsheaf/ Lyndon Road towards Birmingham City Centre

If you See Something, Say Something:
https://safertravel.info/

My locals:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk