News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Perry Barr Garage

Started by 6013, July 22, 2013, 09:39:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winston

Quote from: D10 on December 31, 2019, 01:17:43 PM
No, I guess the council will only have had to found a site that was suitable for a like for like replacement facility and not an increased capacity site.

The way NX have expanded of late in the WM, it would make sense to build a new depot with some spare capacity. There's scope to increase capacity by removing the Wellhead Lane entrance/exit & just have one.

paulb1973

The vast majority of buses parked up for the night won't be under cover it seems. Perhaps Wheatley Street, Coventry will go down as the last all-under-cover garage built in the West Midlands (admittedly quite a few are parked outside there too).

monkeyjoe

Stu

Quote from: pb2012 on December 31, 2019, 10:06:29 AM
https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/downloads/file/12242/bcc34_-_national_express_bus_garage_pre-application_proposal

Interesting, looks like an efficient design.

Quote from: Winston on December 31, 2019, 11:09:41 AM
It doesn't seem that much bigger than the existing PB garage, the legend indicates capacity of 180, inc 30 x 18m Sprint Buses.

That is also interesting, has the Sprint contract gone out to tender yet? I'm not aware that it has.

Also interesting is it shows '20 electric single deckers' as part of the parking plan.

I'd hazard a guess that this is perhaps just some 'future-proofing' as part of the proposal; if NX did not secure the Sprint contract, or declined to purchase any electric single decks, those parking spaces could accomodate a much larger number of double-decks instead.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

richardjones210368

Quote from: Stu on December 31, 2019, 04:42:08 PM
Interesting, looks like an efficient design.

That is also interesting, has the Sprint contract gone out to tender yet? I'm not aware that it has.

Also interesting is it shows '20 electric single deckers' as part of the parking plan.

I'd hazard a guess that this is perhaps just some 'future-proofing' as part of the proposal; if NX did not secure the Sprint contract, or declined to purchase any electric single decks, those parking spaces could accomodate a much larger number of double-decks instead.
The meeting to be held in January will sign off the agreement and and a procument to invitation to tender will follow. The invitation to tender document will have provision for the redevelopment of the said NXWM garage but National Express PLC will be just one of many companies expected to tender personally I would hope it would be awarded to another local operator not the current dominant one.

winston

Quote from: richardjones210368 on December 31, 2019, 05:16:38 PM
The meeting to be held in January will sign off the agreement and and a procument to invitation to tender will follow. The invitation to tender document will have provision for the redevelopment of the said NXWM garage but National Express PLC will be just one of many companies expected to tender personally I would hope it would be awarded to another local operator not the current dominant one.

If NXWM didn't win the Sprint tender, what's to stop them providing competition for Sprint with the current X51 to include potential further enhancements?

richardjones210368

Quote from: Winston on December 31, 2019, 05:19:10 PM
If NXWM didn't win the Sprint tender, what's to stop them providing competition for Sprint with the current X51 to include potential further enhancements?
By the time Sprint commences WMCA will have introduced full QEPs & EPs on the corridor which would eliminate the need for compeition.

Nxwm

richardjones210368

Quote from: Nxwm on January 02, 2020, 11:10:36 PM
https://bbc.in/36hkHOQ
Very interesting report from the BBC as this is a matter for National Express Plc & Birmingham City Council its outside my scope I wonder who got the number crunching wrong but I did say it was all agreed just before the New Year about Sprint in  order to get it signed off this month didnt I.........

monkeyjoe

Quote from: richardjones210368 on January 02, 2020, 11:45:03 PM
Very interesting report from the BBC as this is a matter for National Express Plc & Birmingham City Council its outside my scope I wonder who got the number crunching wrong but I did say it was all agreed just before the New Year about Sprint in  order to get it signed off this month didnt I.........

That's not a minor one, if I did that In my P&L I'd be out the door.

monkeyjoe

monkeyjoe

Busboy105

Is there a reason why the 16A doesn't operate all day? It is a good link between Birmingham and Great Barr (yes the 51/X51 are the routes to go for if going to Great Barr) but the 16A only takes 30 minutes to get to Great Barr which is only a few minutes slower than the 51 and considering the traffic that will occur thanks to Sprint and the flyover that is being demolished, it could be a decent alternative.

Lukeee

Quote from: Busboy105 on January 10, 2020, 01:48:36 PM
Is there a reason why the 16A doesn't operate all day? It is a good link between Birmingham and Great Barr (yes the 51/X51 are the routes to go for if going to Great Barr) but the 16A only takes 30 minutes to get to Great Barr which is only a few minutes slower than the 51 and considering the traffic that will occur thanks to Sprint and the flyover that is being demolished, it could be a decent alternative.

If it ran all day it would take a lot longer than 30mins, that time is based on 4:25 in the morning and around midnight

MasterPlan

There used to be more 16A journeys didn't there? Didn't some get withdrawn?
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk