News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

All things Dennis Trident

Started by Ashley 4569, July 11, 2013, 07:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sh4318

Quote from: Stu on July 11, 2013, 07:54:21 PM
Hate to be pedantic, but WB don't have any Tridents. There's are Volvo B7TLs with Alexander ALX400 bodywork. Easily mistaken though, as the ALX400 bodywork is also used on the Dennis Trident chassis, with some slight differences, the B7TL ALX400s have two rows of seats in front of the staircase upstairs being the main one.

Would I be right by saying the upper saloon on B7 ALXs are taller than those of Trident ALXs?
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Ashley 4569

I think theres a small amount of height difference, i know theres a small length difference with the volvo being shorter with less legroom, thats my only dislike about them, i think theres a novelty to them for me personally as theyre not in my main area so its always a treat to get a B7 ALX where as i can get a trident any day

Sh4318

Quote from: Ashley 4569 on July 11, 2013, 10:37:45 PM
think theres a novelty to them for me personally as theyre not in my main area so its always a treat to get a B7 ALX where as i can get a trident any day

It's exactly the opposite for me. I'm treated to regular ALXs, as most of my local routes use them but to ride a Trident is a treat

nitromatt1

The ALX400's are by far my favourite type of B7TL

Ashley 4569

Best B7 ALX route is the 71A (if and when they decide to reappear)

....Back to Tridents

The Real 4778

Quote from: Ashley 4569 on July 12, 2013, 12:52:21 AM
Best B7 ALX route is the 71A (if and when they decide to reappear)

....Back to Tridents

Nah, stick with PB's finest 42XXs!

Several on the 71A last weekend.
Don't you start.

Ashley 4569

Sounds about right, the one saturday im busy and they're all out

Liverpool Street

One more thing about the B7 ALX400's..

The middle saloon windows are the same dimesion as the Trident one by the stairs. The upper saloon rear saloon windows are the same length as the rest (Unlike Tridents which are shorter) and the rear over hang is longer on the B7 ALX then Tridents. Also, the lower saloon rear windows are the same height as the rest of the saloon windows (Again, unlike Tridents which are smaller and offset.) The emergancy door is larger and the rear lower window is rounded with a blue (Air Con?) box in on the left hand side of the window.

Obviously the dashboard is differant and the front fascia is higher with more bulge inside by the windscreen.
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

Liverpool Street

Ooh, IIRC they're 14'3"

and tridents are 14'5"

Metrobus 14'6"

i'm sure there are correct.
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
until it cought fire

Kevin

Quote from: Trident 4609 on July 11, 2013, 08:18:26 PM
They are ALX400 bodied B7TL's not tridents. Tbh i can tell the difference between the 2 from a mile off

Pray do tell me how, because from 50 yards I struggle (unless there's no other traffic and I can hear the bus itself)
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

nitromatt1

Quote from: Kevin on July 12, 2013, 01:44:40 PM
Quote from: Trident 4609 on July 11, 2013, 08:18:26 PM
They are ALX400 bodied B7TL's not tridents. Tbh i can tell the difference between the 2 from a mile off

Pray do tell me how, because from 50 yards I struggle (unless there's no other traffic and I can hear the bus itself)

Well with newer Tridents the TV screen in the upper saloon makes it easy, however older Tridents and B7TL ALX400s can be mixed up. I can back Nathan up here though, I don't know what it is but they just look different. It may be me subconsciously noticing the differences which Tony and The Rat have pointed out above

Liverpool Street

Dont forget the front is is squashed a bit aswell. Larger windscreen. Higher set mirror arms.

The front bumper is larger.
until it cought fire

PM

The back window has rounded corners on b7tl whereas a rectangle on tridents
Tridents higher and less noisy
Front more squashed up
Two rows of seats in front of staircase upstairs
More vents at the back
And yes if you get used to these features you can tell the differences a mile off

Sh4318

Agreed, once you know the difference, it'll take you about a second to guess between B7 or Trident

Kevin

Quote from: Peter123 on July 12, 2013, 04:16:36 PM
The back window has rounded corners on b7tl whereas a rectangle on tridents
Tridents higher and less noisy
Front more squashed up
Two rows of seats in front of staircase upstairs
More vents at the back
And yes if you get used to these features you can tell the differences a mile off

But.... (apologies here) majority of them are only noticeable from the side / back / inside.... not the front, which apparenty is only "a bit squashed up", so how can anyone tell from anything more than "just the other side of the traffic lights"?
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk