News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Birmingham Central Garage

Started by Liverpool Street, July 01, 2013, 05:31:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ Smith

I agree with Kevin. Buses are only better than taxis at night for those travelling alone, or long distances. Us students tend to travel in groups, and most students live in Selly Oak, so they'd just share a taxi back together. Plus it's not far enough out for a tickets to be cheaper than chipping in for a taxi. Night buses won't properly take off until they reach the estates (i.e. Longbridge and maybe even Rednal, Rubery and Frankley) where taxis can cost £20/£25...

Stuharris 6360

It seems to me that NE are trying to set up a night bus service while spending the least amount of money.

Surely it would be better to look at peoples requirements and not setting the destination of the bus so it requires the minimum amount of buses.

Surely spending some money will make money?
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

PM

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on July 07, 2015, 11:16:37 PM
It seems to me that NE are trying to set up a night bus service while spending the least amount of money.

Surely it would be better to look at peoples requirements and not setting the destination of the bus so it requires the minimum amount of buses.

I disagree, start small and build up demand as opposed to an overnight large network that would be loss making as per GWM's 2007 effort.

Mrw did run a network back in 1991 but it was supported by Centro, Petes later took on certain night services commercially along with TWM

GeminiFan1991

National Express is a business at the end of the day and I think its services are a mix of making money and meeting demand. I think if they gather feedback that that the 61/63 night service needs to be extended and then they may (To perhaps Northfield)
Please check out my Bus Photos @

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128406405@N06/

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: DiamondDart on July 07, 2015, 11:22:47 PM
I disagree, start small and build up demand as opposed to an overnight large network that would be loss making as per GWM's 2007 effort.

Mrw did run a network back in 1991 but it was supported by Centro, Petes later took on certain night services commercially along with TWM

No, i think that a sensible network needs to be built up, however a 1/2 hourly service between City and Selly Oak is pointless!

Surely extend it a bit farther out and if it needs 2 buses, so be it!

I just hope NE aren't doing this so the services fail and the Night Bus network is withdrawn through lack of interest.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Mike K

I'm sure they have looked at requirements and not just thought about how far out of town you could get using just a single bus. The service would seem to be aimed primarily at the student market. I hope it is a success, I think it's encouraging how the 24/7 night network is growing.

PM

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on July 07, 2015, 11:42:45 PM
No, i think that a sensible network needs to be built up, however a 1/2 hourly service between City and Selly Oak is pointless!

Surely extend it a bit farther out and if it needs 2 buses, so be it!

I just hope NE aren't doing this so the services fail and the Night Bus network is withdrawn through lack of interest.

I don't get how it's pointless. It'll serve the main area of demand which is Selly Oak from students. Your method wouldiinstantly double costs whilst serving areas with lower demand and where security would be a lot more of a problem.

Why would NXWM want the night bus network to fail? It's a business keen to expand and grow turnover and it's clear night buses are being gradually and viably built up

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: DiamondDart on July 07, 2015, 11:47:57 PM
I don't get how it's pointless. It'll serve the main area of demand which is Selly Oak from students. Your method wouldiinstantly double costs whilst serving areas with lower demand and where security would be a lot more of a problem.

Why would NXWM want the night bus network to fail? It's a business keen to expand and grow turnover and it's clear night buses are being gradually and viably built up

With respect, I maintain it is pointless. In London, quite often Night Bus routes cover areas greater than the day bus route would, not shorter to use less buses.

As has already been pointed out, with taxi fares being high to some of the suburbs, Night Buses could be the answer, but if they aren't going to try it, & the 63 has to rely on student traffic to Selly Oak, then i can see failure looming.

I also cannot understand why they haven't made the 9 an all night service, with a new departure at 01:00 from City and the next from City at 04:35, it would only take departures at 02:00, 03:00 & 04:00 to bridge the gap.

dw1308

On 4442 atm on the 14 route and it sounds like the exhaust is from stacks haha.....nice sound mind

winston

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on July 08, 2015, 12:01:10 AM
With respect, I maintain it is pointless. In London, quite often Night Bus routes cover areas greater than the day bus route would, not shorter to use less nuses.

As has already been pointed out, with taxi fares being high to some of the suburbs, Night Buses could be the answer, but if they aren't going to try it, & the 63 has to rely on student traffic to Selly Oak, then i can see failure looming.

I also cannot understand why they haven't made the 9 an all night service, with a new departure at 01:00 from City and the next from City at 04:35, it would only take departures at 02:00, 03:00 & 04:00 to bridge the gap.

There's a big difference in that London's night bus network is subsidised, the night routes that NXWM are introducing are totally commercial.

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Winston on July 08, 2015, 12:10:54 AM
There's a big difference in that London's night bus network is subsidised, the night routes that NXWM are introducing are totally commercial.

True @Winston , but then again they are also very well used also. 

I think that the West Midlands needs a good Night Bus network especially on Friday & Saturday nights. I know a lot of people would say but what about security and drunks, well i have riden Londons Night Buses numerous times and apart from high spirits, there never really much trouble.

To save on taxi fares from the city, use the bus to the terminus sellyoak for example then use a taxi from there to your doorstep, and why not phone for one while on the bus and have it waiting at the terminus, if it were me that's what I would do, these black cabs rip off merchants from the city.

GeminiFan1991

Quote from: 2900 on July 08, 2015, 01:22:03 AM
To save on taxi fares from the city, use the bus to the terminus sellyoak for example then use a taxi from there to your doorstep, and why not phone for one while on the bus and have it waiting at the terminus, if it were me that's what I would do, these black cabs rip off merchants from the city.

People say Buses aren't worth it but little do they know ! The most you'll spend on a bus is £4.20 and it'll last you all day and I still remember once taking a black cab home were it cost me £20 !
Please check out my Bus Photos @

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128406405@N06/

B.C Driver

At first I thought great, long overdue, but then I read only to Selly Oak. Why not all the way or Longbridge or Northfield at least? A lot of people will be disopointed with it only going to Selly Oak.

The taxi drivers have long had the monopoly in this city, charging high prices. A taxi from town to where I live (about 3 miles) is £12 on a Saturday night.
I've had taxi drivers try to get me involved in some 'money making' scheme. Others have preached to me about the joys of Islam, others have made suggestive comments to me, many break the speed limits excessivly, many go through red lights.
I now actually walk rather than give my hard earned money to these people.

Come on NXWM lets have a proper night network. Most other major citys have them.

37, 51, 904 are routes screaming out for night buses, and I'm sure there's plenty more.
4444 -The Star Wars Bus

- May the 4s be with you!

Kevin

Quote from: 2900 on July 08, 2015, 01:22:03 AM

Genuinely do similar myself, since the 74 went 24/7 I've actually started using it to get to that bit closer to home (Rookery Road) then if it's a decent night walking the rest (only 2.5 miles from there as opposed 5 miles from town)
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk