News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Birmingham Central Garage

Started by Liverpool Street, July 01, 2013, 05:31:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ellspurs

Quote from: Mike K on October 17, 2023, 06:31:12 PMI've been thinking for a while now that the 23/24 really needs extra capacity during rush hour and my thoughts were echoed this evening by the driver of 7521, who asked multiple standees if they could move away from the buggy zone so he could accommodate another mother and pushchair. "Too many people, not enough buses, it's the same every day" were his words.
Is the expectation for buggies to be folded up on busy services still there, or has that gone down the wayside? 

(I know in practice this is unlikely to happen, but I remember the signage on the buses when the zones were first brought in signs to this effect were up.)

Mike K

Quote from: ellspurs on October 17, 2023, 06:49:35 PMIs the expectation for buggies to be folded up on busy services still there, or has that gone down the wayside?

(I know in practice this is unlikely to happen, but I remember the signage on the buses when the zones were first brought in signs to this effect were up.)
I can't remember the last time I saw a buggy being folded since low floor buses were introduced. Modern buggies are usually big and bulky, and not easy stowed away so I'm not sure it's practical. Also not easy if your toddler is very young. 

ellspurs

Quote from: Mike K on October 17, 2023, 07:13:25 PMI can't remember the last time I saw a buggy being folded since low floor buses were introduced. Modern buggies are usually big and bulky, and not easy stowed away so I'm not sure it's practical. Also not easy if your toddler is very young.
Ok.

I was intrigued so I had a look to see if there is anything about them on the NX website, and there .

Basically only when there is a wheelchair/mobility scooter user on board are they required to fold them up (or at least ensure that the wheelchair has adequate room).

Stu

Quote from: MasterPlan on October 17, 2023, 06:37:19 PMYeah from what I've seen most City services appear to be a bit busier now.

Not sure what the solution is though.
What might help is if TfWM made some informative videos to help educate bus passengers as to what they can do themselves to maximise capacity on a vehicle.
Things like take a seat if one is available.
Sit upstairs if you're able to.
Put your bag on your lap so someone else can sit down next to you.
More people can stand if you don't use the fold-down seats.
And stand in the designated standing area rather than blocking the narrowest part of the bus.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Straightlines

Quote from: Stu on October 17, 2023, 07:42:09 PMWhat might help is if TfWM made some informative videos to help educate bus passengers as to what they can do themselves to maximise capacity on a vehicle.
Things like take a seat if one is available.
Sit upstairs if you're able to.
Put your bag on your lap so someone else can sit down next to you.
More people can stand if you don't use the fold-down seats.
And stand in the designated standing area rather than blocking the narrowest part of the bus.

Yeah because the people that do occupy two seats and put bags on seats are really going to be considerate enough to watch educational videos on bus etiquette! 

Quote from: Steve3229vp on October 17, 2023, 09:06:01 PMthere are very few routes that have competing operators on now, the 50 the only real one
The Travel Express route in Wolverhampton to Underhill is still going to.

Looks like BC are putting on some extra peak X2 journeys. Notice an extra short from Swan Yardley to Solihull is on the timetable in both directions 07:46, 15:29.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

MasterPlan

Going off what Mike said yesterday I can't comment on all journeys obviously but the X21 journey I take in the mornings is definitely significantly busier of late. It even left a few people behind this morning.
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

Jack

Quote from: MasterPlan on October 18, 2023, 08:07:27 AMGoing off what Mike said yesterday I can't comment on all journeys obviously but the X21 journey I take in the mornings is definitely significantly busier of late. It even left a few people behind this morning.
My 997 in the morning to work is becoming more and more busier too lately, it never used to have nearly every seat taken before it got to Perry Barr, now it does.

Yasir6711

Why isn't the blue removes of 97 buses spread these out on all central bus root
not fair right now

Quote from: Yasir6711 on October 18, 2023, 09:17:02 PMWhy isn't the blue removes of 97 buses spread these out on all central bus root
not fair right now
Whats not fair? There's only a few left so the 97 sees those and a mixture of 49XX/Platinums anyway.
I caught 4393 last night, very nice clean internally and good ride quality to ,and that ones 21 years old now. Did the job of taking passengers from A to B nicely.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Yasir6711

Quote from: 2206 on October 18, 2023, 09:21:10 PMWhats not fair? There's only a few left so the 97 sees those and a mixture of 49XX/Platinums anyway.
I caught 4393 last night, very nice clean internally and good ride quality to ,and that ones 21 years old now. Did the job of taking passengers from A to B nicely.
Not fair : not balanced because every other place has better

Jack

Quote from: Yasir6711 on October 18, 2023, 09:26:51 PMNot fair : not balanced because every other place has better
Whats wrong with the 97's allocation?

Yasir6711

Quote from: Jack on October 18, 2023, 09:46:39 PMWhats wrong with the 97's allocation?
If 14. 47. 45. 61 .62 .94 .95. 97 all get 1 trident each 1 day that will balance out old on 97. 97 is ready for something standard with every over one even new electric ⚡️ 

Jack

Quote from: Yasir6711 on October 18, 2023, 11:10:55 PMIf 14. 47. 45. 61 .62 .94 .95. 97 all get 1 trident each 1 day that will balance out old on 97. 97 is ready for something standard with every over one even new electric ⚡️
Do you think the allocator would have an easy job putting out 1 Trident each to every route? Nothing wrong with the Tridents or E400's on the 97.

EK40

Quote from: Jack on October 18, 2023, 09:46:39 PMWhats wrong with the 97's allocation?
Its his local route therefore it should get the newest buses obviously 

I agree myself i think the 65 and the 7 (and (eventually the 96) should get the hydrogens

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk