News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Where next for MM.

Started by RW, June 13, 2013, 04:46:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RW

Lots of speculation regarding development of MM beyond the current BCCE, Broad Street up to Five Ways, Wolverhampton Station, Wednesbury to Merry Hill to mention a few. In reality though which, if any, stand a realistic chance of ever being built and which would be the most beneficial to existing and potential new users and to the local economy? Importantly how long would it take Centro to work up a scheme and obtain the necessary funding for any extension proposals given how long it has taken to fund and almost start work on less than a mile of track in Birmingham.

winston

Quote from: RW on June 13, 2013, 04:46:53 PM
Lots of speculation regarding development of MM beyond the current BCCE, Broad Street up to Five Ways, Wolverhampton Station, Wednesbury to Merry Hill to mention a few. In reality though which, if any, stand a realistic chance of ever being built and which would be the most beneficial to existing and potential new users and to the local economy? Importantly how long would it take Centro to work up a scheme and obtain the necessary funding for any extension proposals given how long it has taken to fund and almost start work on less than a mile of track in Birmingham.

Personally, I think they should leave the Midland Metro at just the one line and not extend it any further. Its takes too long to come to fruition and is too costly to build even short extension. Buses have been pushed out of Corporation St to make way for the trams which will not carry the passenger numbers. I'd personally like to see the money being pumped in to bus priorities & improving journey times / quality of bus services / create new links etc

Justin Tyme

I can't be optimistic either.

Really, new lines ought to go on very busy corridors that are well away from railways.  But in reality it looks like funding goes to line serving more than one local authority and where regeneration is needed (i.e. areas which generate few passengers at present).   And as the Government decide on what to fund, there is a political factor as well.  All this makes predicting the future no more than guesswork to me.

Whether there's funding for more Midland Metro or not, Winston's right - there really needs to be funding to improve bus journey times.  Come on, Centro - get campaigning for this!

Stu

The extension in Wolverhampton past the bus station to the rail station seems to be gaining momentum, due to the recent public consultations. So that one could certainly end up happening.

I've not seen anything recently about the other proposals. In its favour, the Wednesbury to Merry Hill proposal would utilise an existing (disused?) railway line, so costs would be lower if that was the case, as the basic infrastructure is already in place.

I like the idea of the line to the Airport, which would also link to the proposed HS2 station at Curzon Road. Alongside the existing rail line, it could alleviate travel between the city centre and the Airport by being a faster alternative to the 900 bus service, and more reliable, for both airport passengers and workers.

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Kevin

All down to personal opinion really. I think a region like the West Midlands (the black country area in particular) with so many individual towns and villages and a whole host of dual carriageways / disused railways / even old canals linking them all together is perfect for an entire network of routes, hell I even got spectacularly bored and spent an age putting together various ideas for an entire network and even travelled most of it to check it'd work.

But then others will say we don't need trams and that's that we can't argue the case.

And with the culture of NIMBYism that is prevalent these days, I don't see any of it happening
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

nitromatt1

Quote from: Kevin on June 15, 2013, 12:08:20 AM
And with the culture of NIMBYism that is prevalent these days, I don't see any of it happening

That is the first time I have heard someone use the term NIMBY outside SimCity ;)

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: nitromatt1 on June 15, 2013, 12:19:00 AM

That is the first time I have heard someone use the term NIMBY outside SimCity ;)

Never heard the term NIMBY before, what does it mean. (sorry if i seem thick).
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

winston

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on June 15, 2013, 08:56:10 PM

Stu, Not in my back yard

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Winston on June 15, 2013, 08:57:10 PM
Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on June 15, 2013, 08:56:10 PM

Stu, Not in my back yard

Thanks Winston.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Roy

Personally, I feel that a rail based service through Dudley is essential, given the congestion on the roads.  However, I can't see the Wednesbury to Brierley Hill line being a Metro line in the future as the original plan was to have a single track heavy freight line from Stourbridge to Walsall with the Metro track alongside it, something that Network Rail are opposed to.  The current thinking seems to be as follows :-

A new station is being built in Bromsgrove by 2015/16 with the line from Barnt Green electrified.  In addition, a "long loop" is being built at Alvechurch to allow two trains on to the Redditch branch at the same time.  This will mean that the cross-city line (currently 4 trains per hour to Longbridge and 2 to Redditch) will become 3 trains per hour to Bromsgrove and 3 to Redditch.  This will increase the number of passenger trains on the Lickey incline from 4 trains per hour in each direction to 7, leaving less paths for freight trains on that route. 

The only alternative route through the West Midlands is by reopening Round Oak to Pleck Junction for freight.  If the line was reopened, it would shorten some freight journeys to Rugeley Power Station from Portbury (near Bristol) and Margam (South Wales) as the current trains operate via the Lickey, Camp Hill line, Sutton Park line and then have to reverse in the Walsall area.  In fact, part of the line from Pleck Junction towards Wednesbury is currently being relayed to provide a run-round facility which does not impact on other services. 

I think that Centro hope that Stourbridge to Walsall will be reopened to freight early in Control period 6 (2019-2024).  If that happens, then a passenger service could be piggy-backed onto this at a far lower cost than the original tram scheme.  As the passenger service would use the freight tracks, it would have to be either a heavy rail or tram-train operation.

There are also hopes that Walsall to Lichfield will be reinstated in the same period, plus a passenger station at Aldridge on the Sutton Park line.  If this happened, then there would be direct line from Worcestershire to Derbyshire avoiding Birmingham. 

JIM H

Travelling by train from New Street to Walsall in recent weeks i've noticed that the disused line to Stourbridge from the junction near Pleck Junction is being laid with new track. I've seen nothing about it in the railway press and thought it might be practice for the nearby Network Rail Training School. Can anyone through any light on this ??

Roy

As I said in my previous post, the track is being relayed south of Pleck Junction to provide a turn-round loop for freight trains coming off the Sutton Park Line and heading towards Rugeley Power Station.  I don't know where they run the engine round the train at present - I guess it is either at Walsall or Bescot. 

It will mean a bit less to restore if they reopen the Round Oak to Pleck Junction line in the future.

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Roy on June 16, 2013, 08:30:03 PM
As I said in my previous post, the track is being relayed south of Pleck Junction to provide a turn-round loop for freight trains coming off the Sutton Park Line and heading towards Rugeley Power Station.  I don't know where they run the engine round the train at present - I guess it is either at Walsall or Bescot. 

It will mean a bit less to restore if they reopen the Round Oak to Pleck Junction line in the future.

Don't think a Stourbridge to Walsall passenger service would ever be viable, surely Stourbridge Junction is already crowded enough without adding additional services.

D10

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on June 16, 2013, 08:57:37 PM

Don't think a Stourbridge to Walsall passenger service would ever be viable, surely Stourbridge Junction is already crowded enough without adding additional services.

I am sure there was talk of extending the 2 trains per hour that currently terminate there to Kidderminster. Not sure if that will happen, but that would help as currently trains terminating at Stourbridge Junction wait to go back to Brum in Platform 3, or have to cross over to Platform 2.

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: D10 on June 16, 2013, 09:12:41 PM
Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on June 16, 2013, 08:57:37 PM

I am sure there was talk of extending the 2 trains per hour that currently terminate there to Kidderminster. Not sure if that will happen, but that would help as currently trains terminating at Stourbridge Junction wait to go back to Brum in Platform 3, or have to cross over to Platform 2.

I thought that trains from Brum could now terminate in platform 2?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk