News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Single To Double Decker Conversion

Started by danny, February 03, 2013, 12:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashley

As it's mentioned above, can I ask how bad anti social behaviour and vanadlism levels were in the West Midlands Travel era? Worse than today or not as bad?

danny

I think that things are alot better tbf, dri[ :-Xsup][/sup]vers I've seen tend not to take much crap, and my regular routes are across the board, 120, 126, b'ham 45/47, 101 wb 4/5 and sutton lines.
Danny :) proud swift, mango and oyster user...

My locals 12, 12A, 13, 22, 126, and the sixes every weekend :)

Gareth

WMT had a huge problem with graffiti in the late 80s. Outsides of buses were totally covered in some cases. The whole fleet had to be fitted with cameras ( or in some cases dummy cameras I believe). Some Metrobuses were fitted with doors blocking off the upper deck on late night services.

Smoking was still allowed until l990/1991, but when it was banned, people on the the whole stuck to the rules.

I believe that problems on the buses now are far, far worse than those days. If anything, smoking on buses has got worse since the whole UK ban came into being from 2007.

Ash

Although their buses don't enter Birmingham, I've been impressed with the presentation of National Express Coventry buses I have never saw a bus with any graffiti or any substantial etching to the windows in fact I can't remember any.  I think etching is a major problem especially on the double deckers as nearly every bus will have it. Does the whole window have to be replaced or can etching be easily removed as I noticed now some windows are covered in a plastic sheet to eliminate any etching on the actual window.

Sh4318

Quote from: Ash on March 20, 2013, 02:01:23 AM
Although their buses don't enter Birmingham, I've been impressed with the presentation of National Express Coventry buses I have never saw a bus with any graffiti or any substantial etching to the windows in fact I can't remember any.  I think etching is a major problem especially on the double deckers as nearly every bus will have it. Does the whole window have to be replaced or can etching be easily removed as I noticed now some windows are covered in a plastic sheet to eliminate any etching on the actual window.

I'd go as far as to saying they're better presented than NXWM buses, I've caught a lot of NXC buses and I was really impressed with the lack of seat burnings, etchings etc. their tridents are in pretty good condition
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Bob

Quote from: Gareth on March 20, 2013, 12:27:22 AM
WMT had a huge problem with graffiti in the late 80s. Outsides of buses were totally covered in some cases. The whole fleet had to be fitted with cameras ( or in some cases dummy cameras I believe). Some Metrobuses were fitted with doors blocking off the upper deck on late night services.

Smoking was still allowed until l990/1991, but when it was banned, people on the the whole stuck to the rules.

I believe that problems on the buses now are far, far worse than those days. If anything, smoking on buses has got worse since the whole UK ban came into being from 2007.

I remember a report on Central News in the late 80s about damage to bus seat covers nearly bankrupting west midlands travel due to the cost of seat repairs

Gareth

I seem to remember that report too. They showed the inside of what I presume was Tyburn Road, with loads of workers recovering seats.

nitromatt1

I reckon the 241 could do with some double deckers, at peak time at least when a B7RLE can be pretty busy.

Tony

Quote from: Gareth on March 20, 2013, 07:21:02 PM
I seem to remember that report too. They showed the inside of what I presume was Tyburn Road, with loads of workers recovering seats.

Those same workers (and some still are the same) now do the same job at Miller Street, but now mostly just doing worn out seats instead of vandalised ones

uniquicity

Definitely need deckers on the WB48. Mercs in the afternoon are rammed with Sandwell College students and kids from Holly Lodge and Bristnall Hall Academy.

Ash

Quote from: uniquicity on April 17, 2013, 12:12:15 AM
Definitely need deckers on the WB48. Mercs in the afternoon are rammed with Sandwell College students and kids from Holly Lodge and Bristnall Hall Academy.

I would have thought WB would have retained some of the presidents it sent to Yardley Wood and Acock's Green for service like the 5/48/49 as when the metrobuses were in service both services 448/449 were always double decker operated and obviously like your pointing out there was a reason for them.

Sh4318

Ever since the 448A was created, the 448 (now 48) has been predominantly single deck. I suppose the 129 helps supplement the heavy loadings from West Brom, but I still think the 48 requires doubles, some of the loadings don't justify single decker workings
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

JB93

I saw a WB ALX400 go past on the 75 the other day, I didn't catch the fleetnumber, but I've never seen a NXWM bus in a more sorry condition - still had the green branding, looked like it had never been refurbished, the seats were faded etc. and the worst was literally every single window upstairs was covered in massive etchings, it was a disgrace to be honest that they've been allowed to get into this condition while they refurbish buses that are still looking good.

Dylan4579

Quote from: Ash on April 17, 2013, 12:33:25 AM

I would have thought WB would have retained some of the presidents it sent to Yardley Wood and Acock's Green for service like the 5/48/49 as when the metrobuses were in service both services 448/449 were always double decker operated and obviously like your pointing out therke was a reason for them.

Good idea, but what would WB give in return?

Ash

Quote from: dgss1 on April 17, 2013, 04:32:42 PM
Quote from: Ash on April 17, 2013, 12:33:25 AM

I would have thought WB would have retained some of the presidents it sent to Yardley Wood and Acock's Green for service like the 5/48/49 as when the metrobuses were in service both services 448/449 were always double decker operated and obviously like your pointing out therke was a reason for them.

Good idea, but what would WB give in return?

With the new hybrids at Wolverhampton may be transferring some of the older tridents Wolverhampton has to Yardley Wood instead of Birmingham and sending the presidents in return to WB withdrawing some more mercs or b6le's.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk