News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Single To Double Decker Conversion

Started by danny, February 03, 2013, 12:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MW

I want it to go back to double deck. I hate the route now, it's too cramped up inside the Scanias.

JB93

It'd be great to see the 72 go double decker, as from personal experience having to travel on it twice a day, 5 days a week when I used it to get to college, it was very very very overcrowded between Chelmsley Wood and Solihull. Before it extended to Birmingham and started interworking with the 71 it was extremely rare to see a single decker on it, but now, because of the low bridge in Minworth that the 71 goes under, it has to be single deck operated. It's a shame because I would love to see Gemini's in Marston Green again :P

Rob H

Quote from: Gareth on February 03, 2013, 05:22:39 PM
I always enjoyed the 55 route before the influx of Omnilinks. Hate it now. As well as some overcrowdings, the Omnilinks are far more cramped that the Mercs before them. Would love to see a return to double deckers, but unless the route changes garages again, I can't see that happening!

If the 55/55A were to move Garages the best option would be to send it back to BC and send the 90 to BY in exchange but as you say Gareth can't see it happening
60 Birmingham - Cranes Park
72/72A Solihull Station - Chelmsley Wood
73 Solihull - Heartlands Hospital
X1 Birmingham - Coventry
X2 Birmingham - Solihull Station
A10 Solihull - Cranes Park / Chelmsley Wood

JB93

Quote from: Rob H on February 04, 2013, 12:13:25 PM
I always enjoyed the 55 route before the influx of Omnilinks. Hate it now. As well as some overcrowdings, the Omnilinks are far more cramped that the Mercs before them. Would love to see a return to double deckers, but unless the route changes garages again, I can't see that happening!

If the 55/55A were to move Garages the best option would be to send it back to BC and send the 90 to BY in exchange but as you say Gareth can't see it happening

Don't put Omnilink's on the 90! :P but I have to agree with you - capacity-wise it makes more sense for the 55/A to be double deck operated rather than the 90.

Sh4318

Quote from: JB93 on February 04, 2013, 01:13:05 PM

Don't put Omnilink's on the 90! :P but I have to agree with you - capacity-wise it makes more sense for the 55/A to be double deck operated rather than the 90.

I had an Omnilink on the 90 once, not one of my finest journeys, has to be said
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

JB93

Quote from: Shaun on February 04, 2013, 03:55:15 PM
Quote from: JB93 on February 04, 2013, 01:13:05 PM

I had an Omnilink on the 90 once, not one of my finest journeys, has to be said

I was on a B6LE on it once, on a very rare working. That was... interesting. Can't remember the date or fleetnumber, I just decided I'd take the long way to Birmingham.

Quote from: JoNi on February 03, 2013, 04:14:26 PM
Buses in those days were used far more by able bodied people (e.g.factory workers) who went up stairs. Nowadays when doubles are put on some routes the downstairs fills up and people stand downstairs despite seats being available. NXWM seems incapable of communicating to the extent of putting a sign up to encourage people to go upstairs like in Reading or equipping buses with public address for drivers to use .
Agreed But I'm an able bodied person and go upstairs only when I 'have to' I would rather sit downstairs any day. Also many passengers able or not so able just want to sit (or stand) as close to the door as possible so they can get off quicker and easier. Personally I wish all the buses were single deckers! Also I dont think NX have to remind passengers that there is an upstairs!!
Enviro 200 Rebels......Venturing Out Into New Territory's!!

Discodave

I liked the 55 when Washwood Heath (I was a kid then) ran it was always deckers and was a busy route and still is cannot understand why singles are on it.  I know claribels are on but a lot still have NX passes and tickets.

JB93

Quote from: Discodave on February 06, 2013, 10:47:09 AM

I liked the 55 when Washwood Heath (I was a kid then) ran it was always deckers and was a busy route and still is cannot understand why singles are on it.  I know claribels are on but a lot still have NX passes and tickets.

Even when the 55 was operated by Lea Hall there were still always a lot of Metrobuses or Tridents on it. The other thing that annoys me as well is that they're ALL in TWM livery still, they just stick out like a sore thumb when they're in the city centre and most other buses are in the NXWM livery now.

Gareth

There are 3 in NX livery 1790/2 and 1833. Don't really notice the livery issue. Where I live, there are a vast number of buses in the old livery, mainly on the 8,14,55,90 and 94. However the repaints are coming quite fast with the Tridents and B7s

monkeyjoe

Quote from: Gareth on February 08, 2013, 03:29:44 PM
There are 3 in NX livery 1790/2 and 1833. Don't really notice the livery issue. Where I live, there are a vast number of buses in the old livery, mainly on the 8,14,55,90 and 94. However the repaints are coming quite fast with the Tridents and B7s

I think it's fair to say that in terms of standards and livery refurbs a lot of the old Lea Hall routes have been left till last and neglected in my view.

JB93

Quote from: monkeyjoe on February 11, 2013, 05:16:38 PM
Quote from: Gareth on February 08, 2013, 03:29:44 PM

I think it's fair to say that in terms of standards and livery refurbs a lot of the old Lea Hall routes have been left till last and neglected in my view.

I'd have to agree with you there. The 94 used to be one of Lea Hall's showcase routes and now its just allocated whatever run-down ALX400's PB have left over. Same with the 55 - it used to be a reliable double-deck service and is now operated by unrefurbished Omnilinks. I think the only ex-LH route I can think of that's benefitted since it's closure is the 17 since it's gone from Mercs to Omnilinks.

Sh4318

As I remember from its late LH days, the 54/55 were a mix of mercs and omnilinks with the odd trident. Then when BC took over, it was Omnilink - Monday to Saturday and Tridents on Sunday
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

John

Quote from: Shaun on February 19, 2013, 12:14:24 AM
As I remember from its late LH days, the 54/55 were a mix of mercs and omnilinks with the odd trident. Then when BC took over, it was Omnilink - Monday to Saturday and Tridents on Sunday

Most of their routes were like that just before they closed. the 13 and 26 had half de-branded 97 OmniLink's, with just the 97 taken off the branding, and the 97 had 0405N's and Trident's.

JB93

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk