News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

October Changes

Started by 2206, September 28, 2023, 01:37:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

Quote from: MasterPlan on October 30, 2023, 02:37:24 PMDo NX not post anything about changes anymore. I've not seen anything shared about the 22/10 changes or the 29/10 changes.
https://nxbus.co.uk/west-midlands/services-timetables/89-birmingham-west-bromwich

MasterPlan

Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

MasterPlan

Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

Looks like the 27 is going back to using Addison Road in Kings Heath.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Rachvince53

Quote from: 2206 on October 31, 2023, 11:13:29 AMLooks like the 27 is going back to using Addison Road in Kings Heath.
It is. However will only run between Yardley Wood and Frankley.

Westy

Quote from: MasterPlan on October 30, 2023, 03:09:32 PMFair enough, I haven't got Twitter/X so I was curious as there was nothing on Facebook.

To be honest I only signed up with Twitter in the first place, as Nx seemed to monitor that more than Facebook, re service issues.

Stu

Took a ride on the 'new' route of the 2 today.

First things first, if the revised 2 is intended to replace the withdrawn part of the 27, the timetable hasn't been properly thought out as on Sundays, the 27 is timed to arrive at the bus garage after the 2 has been and gone! Meaning passengers changing from the 27 then have about a 25min wait!

Secondly, it was disappointing that the next-stop announcements haven't been updated, which confused a couple of people.

Thirdly, not all bus stop flags had been updated, bizarrely on Glenavon Road and Highters Heath Lane some still showed 27 while others showed the 2. 

According to NX's route map, there are new stops on Gorleston Road near the Daisy Farm Road junction, where I did see a hastily put-up 'Temporary Bus Stop' notice. Also they show the stops on Prince Of Wales Lane moved south of the Gorleston Road junction, but I didn't see any indication of these.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Steve3229vp

Quote from: Stu on November 05, 2023, 02:55:41 PMTook a ride on the 'new' route of the 2 today.

First things first, if the revised 2 is intended to replace the withdrawn part of the 27, the timetable hasn't been properly thought out as on Sundays, the 27 is timed to arrive at the bus garage after the 2 has been and gone! Meaning passengers changing from the 27 then have about a 25min wait!

Secondly, it was disappointing that the next-stop announcements haven't been updated, which confused a couple of people.

Thirdly, not all bus stop flags had been updated, bizarrely on Glenavon Road and Highters Heath Lane some still showed 27 while others showed the 2.

According to NX's route map, there are new stops on Gorleston Road near the Daisy Farm Road junction, where I did see a hastily put-up 'Temporary Bus Stop' notice. Also they show the stops on Prince Of Wales Lane moved south of the Gorleston Road junction, but I didn't see any indication of these.
I just wonder if it would of been better to re-route the 27 to take in some of the 2 route and terminate the 2 at Warstock as it used to

Jack

How does the 2's new route work? Is it a one  way loop or does it come back on itself?

It sounds confusing and if they was so bothered about keeping Glenavon Road served they should have left the 27. Also has Glenavon Road ever had Deckers serve it before now?

I'm surprised that the 27's section of route was incorporated into the 2, sure they could extended the 19 from Maypole to YW depot...

Stu

Quote from: Jack on November 05, 2023, 04:04:18 PMHow does the 2's new route work? Is it a one  way loop or does it come back on itself?

It sounds confusing and if they was so bothered about keeping Glenavon Road served they should have left the 27. Also has Glenavon Road ever had Deckers serve it before now?

I'm surprised that the 27's section of route was incorporated into the 2, sure they could extended the 19 from Maypole to YW depot...
It sounds confusing, but the more I studied the route and used it for myself today, it now makes more sense for it to run like this.

You cannot view this attachment.

There's a sort of 'loop' on the last few journeys of the day from city, these continue along Langstone Road then onto Gorleston Road, before following the route in reverse to terminate at Yardley Wood bus garage.
My locals:

Stu

Quote from: Steve3229vp on November 05, 2023, 03:29:27 PMI just wonder if it would of been better to re-route the 27 to take in some of the 2 route and terminate the 2 at Warstock as it used to

Curtailing the 27 reduces the number of buses used, thus bringing down the operating costs which presumably makes it viable again. 

The way the 2 has been rerouted doesn't add a lot more to the journey time, and while a couple of stops are no longer served, its a relatively short walk to other served stops.
My locals:

Jack

Quote from: Stu on November 05, 2023, 04:45:04 PMCurtailing the 27 reduces the number of buses used, thus bringing down the operating costs which presumably makes it viable again.

The way the 2 has been rerouted doesn't add a lot more to the journey time, and while a couple of stops are no longer served, its a relatively short walk to other served stops.
I do think the 19 could be of been extended to YW depot to cover Glenavon Road and to save messing the 2 round. Wonder how the full length of Gorleston Road manages with buses operating it. It's very tight around Highters Heath as it was the old route so wonder how much more fun it is now.

Sh4318

I took a ride on the changed 89 today

I boarded on Rutland Road, and there was a surprising amount of passengers alighting, not enough to justify 4746 being my chariot, but not too bad for the first day (especially a Sunday)

When we got to Shireland Road/Cape Hill, there were a couple of passengers that either boarded in confusion, before realising how indirect the service was (to West Bromwich, Smethwick High Street) and alighting, or just using the service to Victoria Park

At Blue Gate, passed another Enviro 400 doing the opposite route with a handful of passengers, again, not enough for a double decker, but a reasonable load given context

I still have doubts on the success & longevity of the service, the reroute to Bearwood isn't what I would've done with my lack of knowledge of route planning, but I admit I was pleasantly surprised
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Stu

Quote from: Jack on November 05, 2023, 06:04:09 PMI do think the 19 could be of been extended to YW depot to cover Glenavon Road and to save messing the 2 round. Wonder how the full length of Gorleston Road manages with buses operating it. It's very tight around Highters Heath as it was the old route so wonder how much more fun it is now.
Extending the 19 might have involved adding an extra bus, which would then in turn make it unviable even with subsidy.

Gorleston Road was fine on my journey today, just needs those new bus stops to be installed for those passengers who previously boarded at the bottom ends of Langstone Road and Arlington Road to use.
My locals:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk