News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Hydrogen vehicles

Started by Tony, April 30, 2021, 06:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winston

Quote from: Mayfield on October 01, 2023, 11:59:38 AMWhat is the point in planning to use half the fleet one day and the other half the next day, if you can't use your resources all the time then it's pointless having them, and I know off topic but what about the 30 electrics built and ready for use months ago, surely Perry Barr should have been built to full electric capability and these buses could have been in service months ago, I guess NX are/have paid for these already.
Zenobe own the buses, NX are only leasing them, as they have yet be delivered, I very much doubt NX are paying anything. 

Stu

Quote from: B.C Driver on October 01, 2023, 11:56:00 AMIf I am correct in thinking that these Walsall buses have to be filled up in Tyseley then that makes no sense whatsoever. Surely would have been better to base these at AG?
The intention has always been for Walsall garage to have its own hydrogen fuelling facility on-site.

I don't know how far this is off from actually happening, but one would hope it will be ahead of any further ordered hydrogen vehicles being delivered.

Quote from: Mayfield on October 01, 2023, 11:59:38 AMI know off topic but what about the 30 electrics built and ready for use months ago, surely Perry Barr should have been built to full electric capability and these buses could have been in service months ago, I guess NX are/have paid for these already.
Perry Barr was built for capability, however adding to Winston's reply, Zenobe are also responsible for providing and installing the necessary charging equipment, without which the new electric vehicles cannot be delivered.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Straightlines

Quote from: Rachvince53 on October 01, 2023, 09:49:14 AMAgreed. Seems that electric is the future power source for NX buses. Could the hydrogen buses be converted to electric?
If electric is the future power source for NX buses then let's hope the future of buses isn't NX!

cardew

Doing some googling I was surprised that there appear to be only twelve hydrogen fuelling stations in the whole of the UK,  actually fewer than in 2021 because Shell closed theirs. This may be out of date of course.

It is notable that about a week ago, new EU legislation came in requiring all EU member states to set up hydrogen filling stations for light and heavy vehicles in every "urban node" - 424 selected major cities with ports, airports or rail terminals - and also every 200KM along the roads that connect them by 2030.

Care to bet on a similar UK government initiative? (rhetorical question)

EK40

Quote from: B.C Driver on October 01, 2023, 11:56:00 AMIf I am correct in thinking that these Walsall buses have to be filled up in Tyseley then that makes no sense whatsoever. Surely would have been better to base these at AG?
the idea is that walsall will eventually have its own hydrogen facilities and also you wont need to train a bunch of drivers on all the walsall city routes and the streetdecks since walsall already has both

Mayfield

The hydrogens are nearly 3 years old and they haven't got a hydrogen facility up and running in that time is pathetic.
My point was Perry Barr could have been built with electric charging capacity, it was in the planning and built stage for years and could easily have be adapted as it so much more difficult 
To retro fit, again pathetic.
Sure zenobe wont be sitting on buses ready for use and not being paid for them.

Tony

Quote from: Stu on October 01, 2023, 12:27:02 PMPerry Barr was built for capability, however adding to Winston's reply, Zenobe are also responsible for providing and installing the necessary charging equipment, without which the new electric vehicles cannot be delivered.
The waiting time for charging kit to fit in garages from the manufacturers is one of the main delays for electrics.

As you can imagine it is in a lot of demand at the moment. There's a couple of hundred electrics in London parked up at the moment for the very same reason.

Tony

Quote from: Mayfield on October 01, 2023, 01:32:19 PMThe hydrogens are nearly 3 years old and they haven't got a hydrogen facility up and running in that time is pathetic.
My point was Perry Barr could have been built with electric charging capacity, it was in the planning and built stage for years and could easily have be adapted as it so much more difficult
To retro fit, again pathetic.
Sure zenobe wont be sitting on buses ready for use and not being paid for them.
Nice to see another ill informed keyboard warrier expert.

Perry Barr was built with electric charging capacity

Zenobe only get paid rental costs for vehicles once it has its first six weekly inspection at the receiving garage.

PB50

Looks like hydrogens are not in service again today as I keep seeing platinum buses on the 51.

James1987

I am no expert, but if most of the hydrogen buses are parked in the depot again this morning and also noticed a number of tridents been retired recently at Walsall, which I know is to be expected due to their age etc...It must make things tight there especially during peak times Monday to Friday when there is school services to run also etc.
Last week on my way home from work I counted roughly 14/15 hydrogens out, which was good to see. But when they're not out for what ever reason and have to use other buses, it surely must make things tight at Walsall, regarding how many buses they have spare to use just parked up in case they can't get the hydrogen buses out.

Tony

Then gas compressors at the fuelling station have failed which is the problem

Wumpty

Quote from: Tony on October 02, 2023, 10:22:50 AMThen gas compressors at the fuelling station have failed which is the problem
So this is another infrastructure issue beyond the control of NXWM.
Autofare 3 - the ticket that laughs in the face of contactless!

Tony

Quote from: Wumpty on October 02, 2023, 01:54:14 PMSo this is another infrastructure issue beyond the control of NXWM.
Yes, completely out of NX hands, and also not anything to do with the quality or the physical operation of the vehicles themselves

Wumpty

Quote from: Tony on October 02, 2023, 01:55:43 PMYes, completely out of NX hands, and also not anything to do with the quality or the physical operation of the vehicles themselves
Exactly my *point @Tony - NX are doing everything they are expected to do (and in some cases, above and beyond too!)

*Keyboard warriors, please take note!
Autofare 3 - the ticket that laughs in the face of contactless!

Tony

Quote from: Wumpty on October 02, 2023, 02:16:44 PMExactly my *point @Tony - NX are doing everything they are expected to do (and in some cases, above and beyond too!)

*Keyboard warriors, please take note!
Expect some loan buses appearing on Walsall routes tomorrow

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk