News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Hydrogen vehicles

Started by Tony, April 30, 2021, 06:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BK63 YWP

QuoteDon't speak too soon - I can think of one garage that runs services into Birmingham and has tons of open space - and no residential near it!!
Pensnett? 
The Funny sounding Enviro 400

15 Wolverhampton to Merry Hill
15A Wolverhampton Merry Hill
16 Wolverhampton to Stourbridge

X10 Gornal Wood

Celestial Toymaker

I would be interested to see if Electrics or Hydrogens can cope with 11a / 11c especially with a 3 bell load - i suppose if they can manage X1 / 900 mileage wouldnt be a big issue, in times past (70's / 80's)  they used nickname the 11a/11c "The Bus Breaker"
3000 F300 XOF

DJ on smoothmixfm.co.uk

Tony

Quote from: Celestial Toymaker on October 26, 2023, 07:18:02 PMI would be interested to see if Electrics or Hydrogens can cope with 11a / 11c especially with a 3 bell load - i suppose if they can manage X1 / 900 mileage wouldnt be a big issue, in times past (70's / 80's)  they used nickname the 11a/11c "The Bus Breaker"
I have no idea why you would think they couldn't. Bus Breaker? Some of the Geminis have been on there almost solid for almost 20 years, and some of the Birmingham Standards 25 years, I don't know of any vehicle type that has ever had to be removed from there.

j789

Quote from: Celestial Toymaker on October 26, 2023, 07:18:02 PMI would be interested to see if Electrics or Hydrogens can cope with 11a / 11c especially with a 3 bell load - i suppose if they can manage X1 / 900 mileage wouldnt be a big issue, in times past (70's / 80's)  they used nickname the 11a/11c "The Bus Breaker"
While obviously the route is high milage so puts pressure on vehicles in that respect, I would not say the 11a/c is particularly harsh on vehicles. 20 year old Metrobuses coped fine on it for many years, so did older Volvo Plaxton deckers and Geminis.

This route is very stop-start which actually suits these sort of vehicles better, whereas it is longer, faster routes with less stopping (express type routes) that wear out buses far more than the 11 route, or similar routes, do.

Edit: just seen Tony commented something similar a minute before so apologies for the duplicate post!

Tony

Quote from: j789 on October 26, 2023, 07:32:42 PMWhile obviously the route is high milage so puts pressure on vehicles in that respect, I would not say the 11a/c is particularly harsh on vehicles. 20 year old Metrobuses coped fine on it for many years, so did older Volvo Plaxton deckers and Geminis.

This route is very stop-start which actually suits these sort of vehicles better, whereas it is longer, faster routes with less stopping (express type routes) that wear out buses far more than the 11 route, or similar routes, do.

Edit: just seen Tony commented something similar a minute before so apologies for the duplicate post!
The 11 is actually quite low mileage for vehicles, 2h30min for a full lap (when they did a full lap) of 26 miles so buses are only doing an average of 10 mph.

To show the difference between mileages on different routes I was entering details of vehicles having exhaust filters changed earlier this week. 6118 was on just over 400,000 miles, but newer 6828 which had spent most of its life on the X1 is already over 700,000 miles

mesub

I mean an electric bus has been on the 11 before, so it's definitely a possibility.
23 - Bartley Green
76 - Northfield
X20 - Birmingham Via Longbridge, Northfield & QE Hospital / University

Quote from: Tony on October 26, 2023, 07:38:57 PMThe 11 is actually quite low mileage for vehicles, 2h30min for a full lap (when they did a full lap) of 26 miles so buses are only doing an average of 10 mph.

To show the difference between mileages on different routes I was entering details of vehicles having exhaust filters changed earlier this week. 6118 was on just over 400,000 miles, but newer 6828 which had spent most of its life on the X1 is already over 700,000 miles
That's quite a difference its vast and would explain a great deal why some buses of the same age or similar vary in the way they drive 

Jack

H1006 is on the 51 currently, first time I've seen one on a late night.

Gareth

Quote from: Jack on October 27, 2023, 10:20:01 PMH1006 is on the 51 currently, first time I've seen one on a late night.
Surprised there's one out at all.

Jack

Quote from: Gareth on October 28, 2023, 12:12:57 AMSurprised there's one out at all.
Tends to be at least a few out lately. 

Tony

There's been 5 out every day this week which is the most that can be fueled on the car pump at Tyseley 

Solo1

How long before they fix the pumps at tyseley so all the hydrogen buses can be back out in use

PB50

Quote from: Solo1 on October 30, 2023, 08:16:57 AMHow long before they fix the pumps at tyseley so all the hydrogen buses can be back out in use
Maybe that's why they are currently not out at present so they can get it fixed. Let's hope this is the case.

Gareth

Quote from: Solo1 on October 30, 2023, 08:16:57 AMHow long before they fix the pumps at tyseley so all the hydrogen buses can be back out in use
I wouldn't worry about when they're next out in service, there'll be another problem to prevent them operating just around the corner. They just seem totally jinxed.

Mayfield

Needs adding to unusual sightings the same hydrogen operating for 5 consecutive days, or is that to much shall we say 2 days then.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk