News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

October Changes

Started by 2206, September 28, 2023, 01:37:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu

Quote from: Straightlines on September 28, 2023, 06:28:13 PMJust goes to show what nonsense the 'Protecting the network' fare increase was really doesn't it!
As I see it, NX had two options if the 89 service was no longer commercially viable:

1) Withdraw it completely, and then see if TfWM would offer to provide funding for the parts of the route deemed 'socially necessary' (at a cost to taxpayers)

2) Revise the route so the 'socially necessary' parts can be maintained at a lower operating cost, with other parts of the route covered by existing commercial services (82 and 87) that don't require any subsidy from the taxpayer (and are more frequent as well).

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Tony

And with the 89 no longer going to Birmingham it will make it more reliable along the parts of the route where it is the only bus

Celestial Toymaker

Quote from: Tony on September 28, 2023, 06:43:24 PMRoutes that don't carry enough passenger get cut, always happened, WMPTE did it back in the 1980s, private companies have done it all over the UK ever since. London is trimming routes that duplicate others along main roads.

Wait until TfGM find how much money it costs to run dead routes and see what they do.
City Road (Edgbaston) is over used, 80 / 80A - 11A/11C plus whatever private operators are on there this week, ive never said publicly before but a lot of NXWM routes tend to share roads with each other, Portland Road is the same, 40 years ago the 7 was the only bus on it now there are several all going to City Centre......
3000 F300 XOF

like 3000 I do not exist anymore........ worth nothing as scrap either

Straightlines

Quote from: Tony on September 28, 2023, 06:43:24 PMRoutes that don't carry enough passenger get cut, always happened, WMPTE did it back in the 1980s, private companies have done it all over the UK ever since. London is trimming routes that duplicate others along main roads.

Wait until TfGM find how much money it costs to run dead routes and see what they do.
Fully understand how the bus market works, Tony.

It just goes against the grain of the messaging around the fare increase and communications most recently from TfWM.

https://www.wmca.org.uk/news/bus-network-protected-until-2025-following-40-million-investment-from-tfwm/
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-65960329

QuoteWest Midlands Mayor, Andy Street, said the changes were a "tough decision" but were to avoid bus routes being cut.
NXWM added the price rises were needed to "protect the bus network in the face of rising costs."

Tony

Quote from: Straightlines on September 28, 2023, 07:30:50 PMFully understand how the bus market works, Tony.

It just goes against the grain of the messaging around the fare increase and communications most recently from TfWM.

https://www.wmca.org.uk/news/bus-network-protected-until-2025-following-40-million-investment-from-tfwm/
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-65960329

The BSIP grant was always on the basis 98% of the network would be run. No road is losing a bus through the 89 being cut short, so the 'network' is maintained

Straightlines

Quote from: Tony on September 28, 2023, 07:35:00 PMso the 'network' is maintained
Try telling that to someone who now has to change buses to get to Birmingham!

Tony

Quote from: Straightlines on September 28, 2023, 07:36:09 PMTry telling that to someone who now has to change buses to get to Birmingham!

One of very few, hence the cut, as you said you " Fully understand how the bus market works"

Straightlines

Quote from: Tony on September 28, 2023, 07:40:05 PMOne of very few, hence the cut, as you said you " Fully understand how the bus market works"
It still goes against the messaging led by Andy Street, NXWM and TfWM behind the recent fare rises, as per my original point that you continue to ignore.

QuoteWest Midlands Mayor, Andy Street, said the changes were a "tough decision" but were to avoid bus routes being cut.
NXWM added the price rises were needed to "protect the bus network in the face of rising costs."

Tony

Quote from: Straightlines on September 28, 2023, 07:42:40 PMIt still goes against the messaging led by Andy Street, NXWM and TfWM behind the recent fare rises, as per my original point that you continue to ignore.

What is so specific about the 89 anyway, what about tendered services that haven't been renewed that genuinely leave stops without a bus?

Jack

Quote from: frostjay974 on September 28, 2023, 06:09:49 PMWhen was Hales Lane/Queens Head section of the 46 withdrawn?
2015. The main section (Great Barr-West Brom) was very popular and still to this day there's a lot of angry people here who aren't satisfied considering the 46 always was popular.

I'm surprised the 49 hasn't been cut back to Brandhall... It's near enough fresh air between Brandhall and Bearwood but the instead NX decide to cut the 46...

Straightlines

Quote from: Tony on September 28, 2023, 07:50:56 PMWhat is so specific about the 89 anyway, what about tendered services that haven't been renewed that genuinely leave stops without a bus?
Specifically, that the travelling public was told just 3 months ago that fare increases were 'to avoid bus routes being cut' by our 'major operator' !

Smethwickian

Living just off Cape Hill the 82/87/89 are my nearest buses and so I occasionally get on an 89 towards Brum city centre if it just happens to be the first one along (and I don't really need one of the city centre stops on the 82/87 loop).
At various times of the day recently I can honestly say it is far less busy than the 82/87. So there really can't be that many passengers travelling through from the places that it alone serves.
On the common section with the 82/87 many passengers appear more picky than me and stand back to wait for one of those, presumably to their preferred city centre stop, rather than get on the 89.
Avoiding the often horrendously congested stretch of the A457 between the city boundary at Grove Lane and City Hospital (don't get me started on the total lawlessness when it comes to parking and loading on that stretch) will help provide a more reliable, stable service for those stretches of the 89 that have far fewer alternatives.
My elderly parents live further up the route near Hales Lane and would benefit from a more reliable service at that end as they more often use it towards West Brom, or only as far as the first stop in Bearwood Road near their GP, and hardly ever go into Birmingham.
Loss of a direct link to City Hospital might disappoint a small number of other passengers, but when the new Midland Met eventually opens in its place, the 89 will be just one stop short and can easily be amended to run across the Grove Lane junction to the new hospital entrance.

Tony

Quote from: Straightlines on September 28, 2023, 07:55:03 PMSpecifically, that the travelling public was told just 3 months ago that fare increases were 'to avoid bus routes being cut' by our 'major operator' !
So no routes should ever be changed, and money wasted carrying fresh air about?

Fred

Quote from: Straightlines on September 28, 2023, 07:42:40 PMIt still goes against the messaging led by Andy Street, NXWM and TfWM behind the recent fare rises, as per my original point that you continue to ignore.

The Mayor also previously said there would be no fares rises, so what makes you think you can take anything he says at face value?

MasterPlan

Quote from: Stu on September 28, 2023, 03:25:11 PMIt doesn't say that anywhere about the 2.

The 27 is being curtailed at Yardley Wood. I imagine the 'timetable revision' for the 2 will see the reintroduction of service through to Maypole on Sundays.

Looking at the new timetable on Tfwm it looks like you're right.
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk