News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Strike Action

Started by monkeyjoe, December 14, 2022, 01:23:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

Quote from: Stu on March 18, 2023, 07:24:15 PM"Not ideal" - but can afford to 'spend £14 a day' on taxis because 'solidarity'
https://twitter.com/samgricer1/status/1637163001089339397
Let's see how much his Uber costs next week 

mesub

QuoteHopefully strike

Looks like you got your wish.
23 - Bartley Green
76 - Northfield
X20 - Birmingham Via Longbridge, Northfield & QE Hospital / University

Ginger66

Quote from: Tony on March 18, 2023, 07:38:43 PMLet's see how much his Uber costs next week
Typical fare for private hire from Wednesbury to Brum is £20,. Black cab £42.  But due to high demand can see firms put fares up.

cris 99

Yes Mr Williams you got your wish strike is on and you better hope I don't see any posts on Facebook of you with your driver mates on the 87 because if I do you are genuinely taking a seat from someone that really needs it as buses will be busy as  it is. Im sorry if this offends anyone by the way
17//72/73/97/X12

Tony

Quote from: Ginger66 on March 18, 2023, 07:49:18 PMTypical fare for private hire from Wednesbury to Brum is £20,. Black cab £42.  But due to high demand can see firms put fares up.
That's not the 'typical' fare, that's a two days in advance fare, if you know how Uber fares work you will know it depends on demand. The black cab fare won't change as that's fixed

Trident 4194

The taxi companies were pissed off after they postponed the previous strike as they had a lot of bookings which were no longer needed 

Westy

Quote from: Trident 4194 on March 18, 2023, 08:49:57 PMThe taxi companies were pissed off after they postponed the previous strike as they had a lot of bookings which were no longer needed
As my sister uses a local company in Bloxwich, when the 9 fails to show of a late evening, I asked her to find out the fare from my house to Willenhall, as an option.

It costs the same as her trip to Wednesfield, but bookings were already full !

PB50

I see Andy Street has finally posted on Facebook about the bus strike taking place.

Ginger66

Quote from: PB50 on March 18, 2023, 09:43:52 PMI see Andy Street has finally posted on Facebook about the bus strike taking place.
Yep not happy at all about the strike, as urged both parties to get back around the table.   

I cannot see NX budging on the offer at all as 14.3% that's been offered from a passenger prospective is a good offer.   

The only people that will suffer will be the passengers as NX could be left with no choice to put up fares and inside of £2.40 for a single we could see single tickets reach £3.00

metrocity

Quote from: Ginger66 on March 19, 2023, 08:57:10 AMYep not happy at all about the strike, as urged both parties to get back around the table. 

I cannot see NX budging on the offer at all as 14.3% that's been offered from a passenger prospective is a good offer. 

The only people that will suffer will be the passengers as NX could be left with no choice to put up fares and inside of £2.40 for a single we could see single tickets reach £3.00

Passengers aren't the only ones that will suffer. A prolonged strike will cause damage to NXWM's ongoing revenue base which will ultimately impact both staff and shareholders. Arriva Tamworth had a similar strike about 20 years ago and revenue never fully recovered 

Solo1

Would be nice to know why was a no 14.3% a good deal  yet nurses 5% took that another firm offered 2%pay rise 

mranon

Quote from: Tony on March 18, 2023, 06:25:39 PMThe whole way the Union have handled this have been poor. The Union appointed a negotiator who asked NX for above inflation rise and a 3 year deal. NX offered that. The Union initially strongly recommended acceptance, so not sure what else management could do at that stage. Local reps then complained about the 3 year deal, so initially a two year deal, then a one year deal were offered.
I heard this "negotiator" went in alone without local reps knowing and nobody wanted a 2 year deal let alone a 3

MW

From what I understand, the drivers want their wage increases from £10.80* to £12.75* (which is the reality of what NX drivers are paid on top rate). 

If it was presented as £10.80 and £12.75, I think the public would show more sympathy. All they see is the headline numbers of £16/£17, and percentage figures of 14% which makes it seem like an already high paying job.

*figures based on duty time of 10 hours with 7.5 hours pay.

Solo1

So the negotiator should go back in with all the depot reps to sort this out

dw1308

Quote from: MW on March 19, 2023, 10:08:25 AMFrom what I understand, the drivers want their wage increases from £10.80* to £12.75* (which is the reality of what NX drivers are paid on top rate).

If it was presented as £10.80 and £12.75, I think the public would show more sympathy. All they see is the headline numbers of £16/£17, and percentage figures of 14% which makes it seem like an already high paying job.

*figures based on duty time of 10 hours with 7.5 hours pay.
The £10.80 figure is what training drivers get, a full time qualified driver gets £11.80 and drivers that have 3+ years with the company get just over £14. I am personally disappointed with the way this has been handled as I just want to actually get to start doing the job.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk