News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Strike Action

Started by monkeyjoe, December 14, 2022, 01:23:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steveminor

Quote from: j789 on March 18, 2023, 03:03:31 PMThe 29.3% of drivers who accepted this deal plus any non- union drivers would be able to run a fairly decent chunk of service coverage if they turn up for work - perhaps not unrealistic to hope now a few more routes will be able to be operated if more drivers are willing to work.
I would expect they would still support their union and as such not work

Budgie

Quote from: j789 on March 18, 2023, 03:03:31 PMThe 29.3% of drivers who accepted this deal plus any non- union drivers would be able to run a fairly decent chunk of service coverage if they turn up for work - perhaps not unrealistic to hope now a few more routes will be able to be operated if more drivers are willing to work.
I thought the idea was everyone agrees with the collective decision and all union members should strike? The 29.3% had a chance to put their point of view but now honour the majority?

Quote from: winston on March 18, 2023, 02:50:48 PMDiamond are going be very busy whilst NX drivers are only earning their £75/day strike pay..

Is the £75 per day subject to income tax and national insurance or not? If not taxable, equivalent to £110.29 a day (no pension of course) which for a 7hr 30 min shift is £14.71 before tax. Isn't that more than some drivers are on?

Budgie

What are the rules about crossing the picket line? Can none union members refuse to cross it or would they be in trouble if they did? If the management could, would they enforce disciplinary action given they are so short of drivers anyway?

BN

Quote from: Dennis Dart Plaxton Pointer on March 18, 2023, 01:38:21 PM29.3% for the offer
70.7% have rejected it

Strikes begin Monday
20% yes
48% rejected it
32% didn't bother voting

Solo1

Wonder is the 32% that didn't vote would of voted for the deal as 14.3 is a great deal  just hope they sort it out in a few days

Ginger66

I wonder if NX will comeback with an improvement in the next few days 

j789

Quote from: BN on March 18, 2023, 04:14:18 PM20% yes
48% rejected it
32% didn't bother voting
I'm sure if enough drivers felt they did not have a realistic chance to vote by the union, it may be possible to take legal action to delay the strike until all members have been able to have their vote. I am sure this happened last year with the Royal Mail strikes. Also, aren't their thresholds for total % of members having to vote for action that with only 48% of union members voting for may not have been reached?

As I suggested in a previous post, if the 29% against the strike plus this 32% (of members) who didn't feel like voting turn up for work on Monday, that will potentially be half the work force available to drive. More routes could then be run on a low lee frequency basis. I think the union are on increasingly dodgy ground now too with your stated statistics, I think it is in their interest to conclude a deal sooner than later if less than half their members are voting for what they want.

j789

Quote from: Steveminor on March 18, 2023, 04:03:02 PMI would expect they would still support their union and as such not work
True but this isn't the 1980s anymore and if those members don't think it's worth their hassle fighting for more, then they will likely work as normal. Why would you miss out on wages, pension, etc for something you don't agree with?

Tony

Quote from: j789 on March 18, 2023, 06:19:29 PMI'm sure if enough drivers felt they did not have a realistic chance to vote by the union, it may be possible to take legal action to delay the strike until all members have been able to have their vote. I am sure this happened last year with the Royal Mail strikes. Also, aren't their thresholds for total % of members having to vote for action that with only 48% of union members voting for may not have been reached?

As I suggested in a previous post, if the 29% against the strike plus this 32% (of members) who didn't feel like voting turn up for work on Monday, that will potentially be half the work force available to drive. More routes could then be run on a low lee frequency basis. I think the union are on increasingly dodgy ground now too with your stated statistics, I think it is in their interest to conclude a deal sooner than later if less than half their members are voting for what they want.
The whole way the Union have handled this have been poor. The Union appointed a negotiator who asked NX for above inflation rise and a 3 year deal. NX offered that. The Union initially strongly recommended acceptance, so not sure what else management could do at that stage. Local reps then complained about the 3 year deal, so initially a two year deal, then a one year deal were offered.

karl724223

Suddenly everybody experts on strike action

j789

Quote from: karl724223 on March 18, 2023, 06:29:22 PMSuddenly everybody experts on strike action
Could you explain then from a NX drivers point of view just what the sticking points are in these negotiations? That has not been clear in any of these comments from NX drivers so far, it's all just the 'terms and conditions' are wrong. But what do you actually want compared with what has actually been offered? What are these 'no go' terms and conditions?

This is not meant to be antagonistic but it seems unclear actually what the main issue is here. Is it a higher % wage increase? Different shift timings or length? How far away is the current offer from what you want?

karl724223

Quote from: j789 on March 18, 2023, 06:37:04 PMCould you explain then from a NX drivers point of view just what the sticking points are in these negotiations? That has not been clear in any of these comments from NX drivers so far, it's all just the 'terms and conditions' are wrong. But what do you actually want compared with what has actually been offered? What are these 'no go' terms and conditions?

This is not meant to be antagonistic but it seems unclear actually what the main issue is here. Is it a higher % wage increase? Different shift timings or length? How far away is the current offer from what you want?

NO

Coventrybususer95

With coventry drives voted 85% for the deal would they be allowed to drive or would it go against union rules
All views are my own and does not represent the views of any company/ business that i maybe be working with

Tony

Quote from: Coventrybususer95 on March 18, 2023, 06:58:49 PMWith coventry drives voted 85% for the deal would they be allowed to drive or would it go against union rules
It is always up to the individual. If they are a union member it is up to them whether they choose to cross a picket line. If they are not a union member then they are in breach of contract not to book on, although it is very unlikely any action would be taken against them other than not being paid by either the company or the union.

In answer to a previous question Strike pay from the Union is non-taxable

Stu

"Not ideal" - but can afford to 'spend £14 a day' on taxis because 'solidarity'
https://twitter.com/samgricer1/status/1637163001089339397
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk