News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Stagecoach in Birmingham

Started by monkeyjoe, December 08, 2022, 10:00:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin Tyme

Quote from: Sandy Lane on January 12, 2023, 09:03:51 AMWhat we dont know if this ridiculous situation if being dictated by central government to get more 'competition' in the West Mids despite the damage it is causing. If correct this will explain why HRH the West Mids Mayor is ducking this one and keeping stum. The mayor should be kicking ass big style - it is a disgrace and makes TfWM look stupid.

Probably more that Stagecoach thought "here's an opportunity to win tenders" after seeing the demise of Claribels and Johnsons Excelbus.  TfWM were probably happy to see Stagecoach throw its hat into the ring, because more operators bidding for contracts ought to mean lower bid prices.

I wonder what will happen next - and how soon?

metrocity

Quote from: Justin Tyme on January 12, 2023, 10:48:34 AMProbably more that Stagecoach thought "here's an opportunity to win tenders" after seeing the demise of Claribels and Johnsons Excelbus.  TfWM were probably happy to see Stagecoach throw its hat into the ring, because more operators bidding for contracts ought to mean lower bid prices.
I wonder what will happen next - and how soon?
To add to that, I would imagine the relationship between Stagecoach and TFWM has been strengthened last year due to to working closely together for the Commonwealth Games. Stagecoach will also want to accelerate the business in other areas with the loss of Manchester operations.

Even with Stagecoach bidding for tenders, the number of bidders is still an issue for TFWM. A number of tenders in the last round only had one bidder. 

10.30 A9 from Whitefields Road kicked the few passengers on it off in Solihull. The driver was on the phone for a few minutes before saying "what am I supposed to do, i've got passengers on". 
More abysmal performance from Stagecoach. I doubt NX would have been this bad. 
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Solo1

Quote from: Tony on January 12, 2023, 10:14:42 AMIt takes much longer than 38 minutes to get from Rugby to Solihull,  you struggle to get from Coventry in 38 min!
I looked on aa route finder for the info 

Tony

QuoteI looked on aa route finder for the info
Google is currently saying the fastest route is 54 minutes in a car and using the Motorway

Tony

Looks like anyone on the 41 route may have had a long wait.

First bus tracking wasn't until 13:00

ellspurs

Quote from: Tony on January 12, 2023, 02:42:13 PMGoogle is currently saying the fastest route is 54 minutes in a car and using the Motorway
And we know that they take the a45 from Rugby to Solihull which is slower in a car.

https://bustimes.org/vehicles/scmn-36485?date=2023-01-12#journeys/366253430

This took an hour.

MW

I was in Moseley Village last night (approx 00:45) and seen a Stagecoach vehicle running dead. Figured it was coming off the 46. The route it took back to depot was most interesting as I saw it on the A435 in the Village heading towards City. It obviously went on to the A45 via the Ring Road.

https://bustimes.org/services/46-kings-heath-qe-hospital/vehicles?date=2023-01-11#journeys/366190133

I would have thought M42 and A45 would have been far quicker. I've heard they're not allowed to use the motorway since.

Anyway, looks like it took that driver 1 hour to get back and that was past midnight. The buses that finish earlier in the evening must be around 1hr 20 mins in some cases.

winston

Quote from: Tony on January 12, 2023, 02:48:06 PMLooks like anyone on the 41 route may have had a long wait.

The 41 has been like that the last few days.

Stuharris 6360

Why do they keep saying "unforeseen circumstances", the point is the driver shortage isn't unforeseen, it has been going on since well before Stagecoach bid for these services.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Coventrybususer95

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on January 12, 2023, 03:29:35 PMWhy do they keep saying "unforeseen circumstances", the point is the driver shortage isn't unforeseen, it has been going on since well before Stagecoach bid for these services.
Could it be drivers refusing to do the routes more then a shortage
All views are my own and does not represent the views of any company/ business that i maybe be working with

markcf83

Quote from: Coventrybususer95 on January 12, 2023, 03:30:27 PMCould it be drivers refusing to do the routes more then a shortage
Possibly......
Don't judge me until you've walked in my size ten shoes.

ellspurs

On the other twitters (Stagecoach East Midlands as an example) it does just say "due to a driver shortage".

I guess since they're a new operator on these services they didn't think it would look right to take over a service and then immediately go "due to driver shortage".

On the Leamington/Stratford front, in the first few days of the year they were showing a lot of "unforeseen circumstances" tweets, probably to get a full roster on the new services. 

MW

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on January 12, 2023, 03:29:35 PMWhy do they keep saying "unforeseen circumstances", the point is the driver shortage isn't unforeseen, it has been going on since well before Stagecoach bid for these services.

So you and the public give them sympathy. 

BBS

QuoteLooks like anyone on the 41 route may have had a long wait.

Yeah, had to walk all the way from Acocks green to formans road today. Quite disappointed 
Local Bus Routes: 4, 4A, A15, A16, 41,1,11A,11C, A9, A12

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk