News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Stagecoach in Birmingham

Started by monkeyjoe, December 08, 2022, 10:00:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metrocity

Quote from: Tony on January 11, 2023, 08:40:14 PMI am amazed Stagecoach are as bad as they are. They found hundreds of Drivers willing to drive in Birmingham for the Commonwealth games, I am sure some of them would probably come back if offered the chance, but this looks more like Stockport making a complete mess of bidding on prices that would work with local drivers and thinking there was a plentiful supply of agency drivers to cover in the meantime, and there isn't.
According to the grapevine, a Central Birmingham base is imminent 

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Tony on January 11, 2023, 08:40:14 PMI am amazed Stagecoach are as bad as they are. They found hundreds of Drivers willing to drive in Birmingham for the Commonwealth games, I am sure some of them would probably come back if offered the chance, but this looks more like Stockport making a complete mess of bidding on prices that would work with local drivers and thinking there was a plentiful supply of agency drivers to cover in the meantime, and there isn't.
This might be me, but looking at it, Diamond seemed to win quite a few new services and yet they have the buses and drivers to operate them. I can only assume that Diamond ensured all of this before they bid, you have to ask the question, why didn't Stagecoach.

If you are trying to break into a new area, then surely you need to make a mega effort to ensure that you can operate all the services and to time. If the nearest garage is miles away and you are already experiencing problems with a driver shortage, then surely the logical thing to do is to not bid!
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on January 11, 2023, 09:34:42 PMDiamond seemed to win quite a few new services and yet they have the buses and drivers to operate them. I can only assume that Diamond ensured all of this before they bid, you have to ask the question, why didn't Stagecoach.

I presume Leamington is short of drivers as well, with all the ex Diamond Stratford routes now there to? I would have thought it would be nearer to Solihull/Blythe Valley at least, as Rugby is the other side of Coventry.There often seems to be a lot cancellations listed for Leamington ran services on the twitter page to.

diamond also lost some services I think with several service not retendered, commercial 94 withdrawn, Birmingham - Hamstead down is down from 2022 at every 20 minutes, and the 25/600 reduced from 2 to 1 pvr, 69 lost to stagecoach.
Presumably where some of the buses/drivers came from.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

j789

If the Stagecoach terms were as generous as with First at the 2012 Olympics - good pay rate, paid breaks, food allowance, free accommodation, cushy shuttle runs not having to transport the riff raff around, etc - then that is why they had plenty of driving volunteers for the Commonwealth Games.

I guess the thought of driving round the suburbs of the West Midlands is less enticing, particularly as I'd assume the duties would be rather long taking into account travelling time from the depot. 

Wumpty

Another stellar start to the day - more unforeseen circumstances for SC and those needing to get to hospital/work/school!

When WILL TfWM step in on this car crash?You cannot view this attachment. You cannot view this attachment.
Autofare 3 - the ticket that laughs in the face of contactless!

Secondary trigger 28

There seems to be an increase in the number of withdrawals each day

Wumpty

Quote from: HARVEYCLLEE on January 12, 2023, 07:22:40 AMThere seems to be an increase in the number of withdrawals each day
But thankfully, all Leamington and Stratford services are out and running :rolleyes:
Autofare 3 - the ticket that laughs in the face of contactless!

metrocity

Quote from: Wumpty on January 12, 2023, 06:46:16 AMAnother stellar start to the day - more unforeseen circumstances for SC and those needing to get to hospital/work/school!

When WILL TfWM step in on this car crash?Screenshot_2023-01-12-06-42-02-82_0b2fce7a16bf2b728d6ffa28c8d60efb.jpg Screenshot_2023-01-12-06-42-02-82_0b2fce7a16bf2b728d6ffa28c8d60efb.jpg
At the TDC meeting on 9th January, TFWM representives said they had been assured there would be a signfiicant improvement in Stagecoach performance from the following day (Tuesday). It appears to have got worse!

If TFWM dont step in soon then future bids from other operators for these contracts will increase substantially as the passenger volumes will be alot less given the damage this will have caused.

BrumKev86

Quote from: Wumpty on January 12, 2023, 07:31:18 AMBut thankfully, all Leamington and Stratford services are out and running :rolleyes:
It's says everything when they tweet just to say services in them particular towns are operating as scheduled!. They make diamond look like world beaters in bus travel :grin:
Grew up in Great Barr, now living in North Somerset

Sandy Lane

Quote from: metrocity on January 12, 2023, 07:34:33 AMAt the TDC meeting on 9th January, TFWM representives said they had been assured there would be a signfiicant improvement in Stagecoach performance from the following day (Tuesday). It appears to have got worse!

If TFWM dont step in soon then future bids from other operators for these contracts will increase substantially as the passenger volumes will be alot less given the damage this will have caused.
What we dont know if this ridiculous situation if being dictated by central government to get more 'competition' in the West Mids despite the damage it is causing. If correct this will explain why HRH the West Mids Mayor is ducking this one and keeping stum. The mayor should be kicking ass big style - it is a disgrace and makes TfWM look stupid.

Solo1

Rugby is 38 mins  & Leamington Spa is 30 minutes to Solihull  so not that far to come 

Coventrybususer95

Quote from: Solo1 on January 12, 2023, 09:27:04 AMRugby is 38 mins  & Leamington Spa is 30 minutes to Solihull  so not that far to come
What about Nuneaton
All views are my own and does not represent the views of any company/ business that i maybe be working with

Steve3229vp

It's all well and good wanting TfWM to step in, but step in and do what ?, NX haven't got the drivers which is why they withdrew the routes and same could be said for other operators, so I can't see any other way of getting these routes covered.

Tony

QuoteRugby is 38 mins  & Leamington Spa is 30 minutes to Solihull  so not that far to come
It takes much longer than 38 minutes to get from Rugby to Solihull,  you struggle to get from Coventry in 38 min!

metrocity

Quote from: Tony on January 12, 2023, 10:14:42 AMIt takes much longer than 38 minutes to get from Rugby to Solihull,  you struggle to get from Coventry in 38 min!
If you look at bustimes dead running is taking in excess of an hour each direction 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk