News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

NX 2013 Bus Orders

Started by Wolves256, October 11, 2012, 01:06:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winston

Quote from: Gareth on November 10, 2012, 03:54:15 PM
The B7RLE is being discontinued next year I think or maybe 2014. Maybe some new B8RLE's in future orders? And the new Wright / Volvo 'Streets Ahead' double decker.

Would have thought that its now unlikely that NX would buy any new Volvo B9TL/Eclipse Gemini if the Gemini body is being replaced shortly

winston

Quote from: BC driver on November 10, 2012, 03:55:22 PM
Heard the other day that BC may be getting new double deckers, either to go on the 900/957, or the Pershore Road 45/47

Why waste new buses on the Pershore Rd services, they'll only get trashed.....

winston

I'm thinking for NX 2013 orders, they may opt to order the following:

20 x Midi's to replace remaining Solo's at NXWM and some early Solo's at Dundee
40 x Volvo B7RLE/Wright to replace further Mercs / B10L's
70 x New double deckers (which includes the 21 Hybrids)

Gareth

There is also the 10 Hybrids for Dundee

winston

Quote from: Gareth on November 10, 2012, 05:25:30 PM
There is also the 10 Hybrids for Dundee

yes, forgot about them.... that's screwed my figures up then. I still thinking the majority of 2013's new orders will be made up of double deckers though

We know the following to date:

21 x Hybrid double deckers (12 x ADL Enviro 400H / 9 x B5L/Wright HEV) to WN for the 1
10 or 9 (quoted by ADL's recent order announcement) ADL Enviro 400H for Dundee
27 new vehicles for CV (Quoted by CV's MD in CBW)
It sounds as though PB are expecting new double deckers for the Sutton Lines for the North B'ham Review
Will WB be also due a further batch as part of the Sandwell Review?

That already accounts for two thirds of potential total of 120 being ordered for 2013, unless they opt to order more that year due to the Sandwell / North B'ham Reviews & B'ham Emission zones coming in to force

Stu

QuoteIt sounds as though PB are expecting new double deckers for the Sutton Lines for the North B'ham Review
Will WB be also due a further batch as part of the Sandwell Review?

More likely that if PB get new double deck Omnicities, some of their Geminis would cascade to WB, possibly to upgrade the extended 89 service to double-deck operation, which it sounds like it badly needs.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

don

And the new Wright / Volvo 'Streets Ahead' double decker.

Is that the nutty fruitcake Boris Johnson bus - allegedly TfL t place an order for 600 soon. Someone should do an FOI request to see how much public money has been expended on that (beyond the cost of buying normal buses) - looks like an updated 1963 Park Royal Fleetline body to me!!
Bustimes.org - armchair bus chasing at its best
wmbusphotos.com - armchair bus spotting and news at its best.

Current 'special passenger validation' permit held.

PM

No, the streets ahead bus isnt the new LT class bus. The tfl order has been confirmed btw. And you may find that nxwm will want to order lots of buses in 2013 or at least for them to be built in 2013 as in 2014 the new euro6 emissions come into place and these buses will cost quite a bit more money.

Tony

Quote from: don on November 10, 2012, 06:53:49 PM

Is that the nutty fruitcake Boris Johnson bus - allegedly TfL t place an order for 600 soon. Someone should do an FOI request to see how much public money has been expended on that (beyond the cost of buying normal buses) - looks like an updated 1963 Park Royal Fleetline body to me!!

The initial order for 8 was expensive because it included all the development and design costs. The production run should only cost about the same as other hybrid buses. After being able to have a close look at LT3 at the NEC this week I was well impressed with the general layout

don

Quote from: Tony on November 10, 2012, 07:02:59 PM
Quote from: don on November 10, 2012, 06:53:49 PM

The initial order for 8 was expensive because it included all the development and design costs. The production run should only cost about the same as other hybrid buses. After being able to have a close look at LT3 at the NEC this week I was well impressed with the general layout

The look is not bad (although they look extremely long), I would agree, but the big issue for me is what on earth was the point? I know there was a political imperative re open platform rear entrance buses, but at a time of austerity the idea that a publicly funded organisation should expend money on something as extravagent is extraordinary - nearly as bad as the Routemaster itself in the 50s.

One appears in the new James Bond film (as the equivalent of a film extra - parked in Whitehall)!!!
Bustimes.org - armchair bus chasing at its best
wmbusphotos.com - armchair bus spotting and news at its best.

Current 'special passenger validation' permit held.

Liberator9

I hope Wright keep the same body design as it certainly looks smart and distinctive. Alexander Dennis is also redesigning its Enviro 400,http://www.busesmag.com/view_news.asp?ID=5421, with a new design body.

Justin Tyme

I managed rides on two Borismasters on London route 38 recently.  They are very competent buses with quick, smooth and quiet acceleration, and excellent build quality.  Just two down points for me.  (1) The upstairs windows are shallow- this combined with solid panels at the top of the staircase and the red-purple seating made the upper deck a bit gloomy. (2) The moment after I jumped off the rear platform at traffic lights,  the bus pulled away quickly - an accident waiting to happen?

My guess is that Wrightbus would be pleasantly surprised if anyone other than Transport for London bought any - even without a rear platform.  But I would hope that the best technical developments will be incorporated in a more mainstream design.

Ash

If new buses are delivered for the Sutton Lines then may be some geminis will go to WB but some of the toothpaste enviro 400 could go to Pensnett to upgrade some service to double decker operation, as people keep mentioning on here that the 246 needs double deckers.

nx4737

The B7RLE is being discontinued next year I think or maybe 2014. Maybe some new B8RLE's in future orders? And the new Wright / Volvo 'Streets Ahead' double decker.

The Wright what?

Link? Photo?

Tony

Quote from: nx4737 on November 10, 2012, 08:39:38 PM

The Wright what?

Link? Photo?

Not yet, Wrights are allegedly developing it at the moment

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk