News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

South Birmingham Consultation 2017

Started by Stu, July 25, 2017, 08:16:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Stu on July 24, 2018, 05:46:16 PM
A lot of people simply don't look at the displays though. Yesterday evening, I got off an 11E at Acocks Green village, and it was still showing 11E Acocks Green on the displays, and as I stepped off, the driver was calling out 'last stop' to those passengers on board still sitting down. Yet there were people waiting at the stop and trying to get on, one woman started to get irate with the driver asking "what bus is this then, is this the 11?"

Honestly, if I fancied getting into a disagreement myself I'd have gone over to her and pointed to the side display myself.

A few minutes later, another bus pulled up, showing "Not In Service", just in front of another 11A displaying "Outer Circle". As it happened, the out of service bus was starting a trip, rather than finishing, but before the driver had even changed the display, as soon as the door opened, people were stepping on board.

Makes you wonder sometimes how these people ever get to where they want to go. And they're usually the first ones to complain when service numbers change!
Yes, I agree a lot of people don't look at the display.
There are usually plenty of passenger who try to get on a 11E after the bus has terminated and plenty who remain seated on the bus as well. I've seen people trying to get on a bus that has "Not In Service" on the display in the past as well.
I've been on 11E's in the past where some people just sit there even after the driver has called out last stop and some don't seem to even realise after the bus has turned around on its way back to the garage.
Plus I once got on a 28 (that had come from Small Heath) and  as it went down Belchers Lane there were quite a few passengers asking "if its the 17" and "if its going to the City Centre and why it was going that way", etc, when it clearly said 28 Great Barr on the front.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Sh4318

Is the 31 terminating at Solihull station now. I was 4528 outside the station stop with 'Acocks Green' on the front but empty with the lights off, I can't seem to find any 31 stops on Poplar Roaf
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

V89MOA

Quote from: Sh4318 on July 24, 2018, 09:25:00 PM
Is the 31 terminating at Solihull station now. I was 4528 outside the station stop with 'Acocks Green' on the front but empty with the lights off, I can't seem to find any 31 stops on Poplar Roaf
Yes it is, I can't see it lasting long to be honest.

Quote from: V89MOA on July 24, 2018, 10:16:26 PM
How come, whats the reason for this?
It is a bit strange that it'd serve the railway station and not the town centre, i'd have thought there'd be more passengers on that route wanting to go to the town centre than the railway station.
If anything i'd have thought it'd be better of serving the town centre and not the railway station.
On the other hand, I suppose its not that far of a walk away and there is an alternative as there are pleanty of buses you can change onto that operate every 30 seconds or so (6, 49, X2, 72, 76, etc).
But if the passengers want the town centre then it does seem rather inconvenient.
From what i've seen the X2 and 72 certianly tend to empty at the Town Centre and then carry on to the Railway Station with just 1 or 2 passengers left onboard
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Sh4318

Quote from: V89MOA on July 24, 2018, 10:16:26 PM

My assumption would be so that it could be run with 2 buses. It's almost like they're expecting it to fail by not extending it to the Town Centre
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

V89MOA

Quote from: Sh4318 on July 24, 2018, 10:23:59 PM
My assumption would be so that it could be run with 2 buses. It's almost like they're expecting it to fail by not extending it to the Town Centre
Or hoping it will...
I can see it going by the end of the year and modifications being made to the 4A to serve Shirley somehow.

Kevin

So. First ride out on the new network

Re The Vale, yes the X20/22 do use Edgbaston Park Road, at least the last 4 I've seen going past me have, so unless that whole stretch is designated as the "flexible route" I don't see why they couldn't stop there. The X21 will be very busy come September otherwise

Wheeleys Road and Arthur Road stops still show 98/X64 inbound. Frankly those ones should have been priority to at least peel off considering they now have no service

Also Ashill Road and Edgewood Road are far more sensible for large buses than Leach Green Lane, leave the latter for the minibuses on the 19
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

MasterPlan

So I thought I'd give this X21 a go ahead of returning to work next week and noticed the following things.
1) The driver used Kemberton Road inbound when he should have used Alwold Road.
2) There seemed to be people waiting at the stop adjacent to Gibbins Road, only to be bemused when it flew past as it doesn't stop there anymore for some daft reason.
3) Customers still seem unware that the X20/X22 don't stop along the Vale.
4) It took roughly 5 minutes stuck in traffic to navigate Wellington Road. This at midday.
5) The driver let someone off by the O2 Academy even though it doesn't stop there.

Additionally all 5 routes have just arrived at the terminus. Looks like 2 of them had to leave to make room for 2 more.
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

sonic84

Yes, the NWM map also showed that the X20 and X22 would go past the Vale in both directions.  It does seem odd that neither of them stop there.

Did NXWM do a U-turn on some of the service changes between the original information being officially publish and the timetables coming out.  I am sure the original info stated the 63 would terminate at Compton Road (the old 61 terminus), but the timetables now show no change to the route.

MasterPlan

Quote from: MW on July 23, 2018, 06:05:47 PM
All of the AG/BC/YW destinations seem to have been changed.

Seems like the X70 and 97 have escaped this stupid change so far.

Kevin

Currently on WB 4268 on the 48, driver hasn't got a clue where he's going, completely missed Cropredy Road despite it being directly ahead of him, passengers shouting at him probably isn't helping matters
8 mins late by Hawkesley doesn't bode well for the rest of the route

-- EDIT --
Apparently there's a diversion, just no one told all the passengers either on board or at the bus stops

MasterPlan

Quote from: Kevin on July 25, 2018, 02:01:08 PM
Currently on WB 4268 on the 48, driver hasn't got a clue where he's going, completely missed Cropredy Road despite it being directly ahead of him, passengers shouting at him probably isn't helping matters

I feel for any driver on that horrid route now.

Kevin

Quote from: MasterPlan on July 25, 2018, 01:18:00 PM
So I thought I'd give this X21 a go ahead of returning to work next week and noticed the following things.
1) The driver used Kemberton Road inbound when he should have used Alwold Road.
2) There seemed to be people waiting at the stop adjacent to Gibbins Road, only to be bemused when it flew past as it doesn't stop there anymore for some daft reason.

Mine just did the same route but I'm not sure that was ever a change in the first place? The Gibbins Road stop is a curious one for me, never used to be that busy but with no bus along the road itself you'd think it'll get busier now. Is this the bit where the X21 earns the X in the number?

MasterPlan

Quote from: Kevin on July 25, 2018, 04:34:00 PM
Mine just did the same route but I'm not sure that was ever a change in the first place? The Gibbins Road stop is a curious one for me, never used to be that busy but with no bus along the road itself you'd think it'll get busier now. Is this the bit where the X21 earns the X in the number?

Yeah I think it is supposed to go there. I was going off the original convoluted map provided by NX, but the other map shows this is correct.
As for those stops, no I wouldn't say they were overly busy exactly but I don't see the point in removing them. What does it achieve? Same with the Kemberton Road stops inbound.
It'll be interesting to see whether the stops by Gibbins Road are reinstated when the new Selly Oak shopping centre opens.

With regards to the the X21 and it's X, this makes interesting reading:

"The X21 is currently on a temporary diversion into town, until the new bus gate is built we are unable to run services into town along Bath Row."

So will the X21 become the 21 at that point? Because it certainly won't be express in any sense of the word.
Also why wasn't this made clear from the off? Rather than having to respond to questions about it.

Quote from: MasterPlan on July 25, 2018, 01:45:22 PM
Seems like the X70 and 97 have escaped this stupid change so far.
The 11A/C hasn't changed either.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk