News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

South Birmingham Consultation 2017

Started by Stu, July 25, 2017, 08:16:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sonic84

The NXWM facebook page makes for very interesting comments on the South Birmingham changes from the general public.

One lady is (quite rightly) complained that whilst you can travel from Wheeleys Road / Arthur Road to the QE, you are unable to return.  NXWM PR has replied stating they are "unable" to serve the opposite direction until the bus gate is in place and have suggested that in order to return back from the QE passengers should travel on the X21 to Smallbrook Queensway cross the road then catch the X21 heading towards Weoley Castle.  I don't know why the X21 couldn't have continued to serve Five Ways as per the old X64 / 98.

Also I'm not sure how long the Simmons Drive change on the 24 route will last.  There are no bus stops installed on the opposite side of the Simmons Drive / Highfield Road yet, and the new part served can be particularly tight due to low hanging trees on the one side and parked cars on the other.

MasterPlan

Quote from: sonic84 on July 27, 2018, 01:12:47 PM
The NXWM facebook page makes for very interesting comments on the South Birmingham changes from the general public.

One lady is (quite rightly) complained that whilst you can travel from Wheeleys Road / Arthur Road to the QE, you are unable to return.  NXWM PR has replied stating they are "unable" to serve the opposite direction until the bus gate is in place and have suggested that in order to return back from the QE passengers should travel on the X21 to Smallbrook Queensway cross the road then catch the X21 heading towards Weoley Castle.  I don't know why the X21 couldn't have continued to serve Five Ways as per the old X64 / 98.

Yeah that's where I got my quote about the X21 diversion from. That woman has every right to be angry. Bit of shoddy state of affairs when you're having to get the bus back into town and then crossing over to get it back the way just to get back home. In all honesty I don't see why it couldn't have either and just numbered it the 21 as they have no intention of upgrading it anyway to a proper express route.
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

Sayeed

Also I'm not sure how long the Simmons Drive change on the 24 route will last.  There are no bus stops installed on the opposite side of the Simmons Drive / Highfield Road yet, and the new part served can be particularly tight due to low hanging trees on the one side and parked cars on the other.

There are temporary bus stop signs at the moment. I would like it to be remained but I do agree about the parked cars and there is also restricted view. Otherwise, I heard positive feedbacks and surprised to see decent amount of people getting on the bus on the opposite side of the Simmons Drive / Highfield Road in it's first day!

I even saw regulars on the 244 getting on the 24 instead.
Век живи - век учись

Mike K

For 'unable' read 'unwilling'. Presumably the increase in inbound journey time would mean an increase in PVR. They were perfectly able to serve Arthur Road and Wheeleys Road inbound until last Saturday. It really is absurd that you can make journeys one way but not get back.

MasterPlan

Quote from: Mike K on July 27, 2018, 05:33:26 PM
For 'unable' read 'unwilling'. Presumably the increase in inbound journey time would mean an increase in PVR. They were perfectly able to serve Arthur Road and Wheeleys Road inbound until last Saturday. It really is absurd that you can make journeys one way but not get back.

Their excuse is 'congestion' around Five Ways, but the 98/X64 got around the island just fine thanks to the traffic lights. It was the 22/23/24/29 that got stuck on Five Ways. I wonder if all 3 routes will use this bus gate when it happens (whenever that is?), or whether it'll just be the 'X'21.

Sh4318

We're almost a week into the new changes and the bus stop timetables on Holly Lane still show the 48 as going via Weoley Castle
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Straightlines

Quote from: Sh4318 on July 27, 2018, 08:40:16 PM
We're almost a week into the new changes and the bus stop timetables on Holly Lane still show the 48 as going via Weoley Castle

This isn't the only example within South Birmingham and it's a poor show considering TfWM recharge the costs to the Operator.

Crosville

That is bonkers, so much for trying to encourage people to use Public Transport when, whilst they can get from a to b, to get back from b to a they have to go through x, or get off around The Vale & walk, likewise if they want to go the other way to the City Centre.  :(

Kevin

Worth pointing out if anyone complains about services too full into/out of Brum today its likely to have a lot to do with the Cross City line being closed south of New Street
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

MasterPlan

Strangely enough the X21 seems to have next stop announcements. What's the point when they'll be using B7RLEs most of the time?
On the plus side the next stop is actually announced while leaving the previous stop now but it seems to be repeated 3 times.

Also what is actually going on with Kemberton Road? According to the stop list it isn't supposed to stop there inbound but now the stop at the bottom has been changed from 48/X64 to X21??

Tony

Quote from: MasterPlan on July 29, 2018, 06:17:39 PM
Strangely enough the X21 seems to have next stop announcements. What's the point

What a stupid question.

MasterPlan

Tony

Quote from: MasterPlan on July 29, 2018, 06:40:44 PM
How is it a stupid question?

So, because the buses have the equipment it shouldn't  be used because they only do one day on there

MasterPlan

Quote from: Tony on July 29, 2018, 08:30:18 PM
So, because the buses have the equipment it shouldn't  be used because they only do one day on there

Will all of BC's routes be done then on the off chance they'll have a platinum on them?

Kevin

Quote from: MasterPlan on July 29, 2018, 08:32:23 PM
Will all of BC's routes be done then on the off chance they'll have a platinum on them?

He has a point. Seems rather a waste creating announcements that rarely get used
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk