News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

West Midlands Bus Area Map and Guides

Started by Bus Man K2, October 30, 2019, 05:58:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ellspurs

GETTING BACK ON TOPIC TO THE THREAD TITLE

*cough*

Sorry about that.

In the updated Birmingham map on the TfWM site, the 53 route is still showing the wrong route in the Alum Rock area. See previous posts from myself/2206, specifically: https://wmbusphotos.com/forum/index.php?topic=1565.msg274711#msg274711

Tony

Quote from: Bus Man K2 on January 07, 2021, 06:06:01 PM
All I'm saying though is that I would say the the 35 does serve Moor street. Obviously if it doesnt actually stop/terminate  or start here then it may not actually 'serve' the road. But it all comes down to the definition of 'serve' and as no one has given a definition I still would say it serve it. Now lets call thet the end and beg to differ!! 😁

It does serve Moor Street, but not Moor Street Queensway, they are two different roads, If you are saying these for your own records to 'share with a few friends' like the destinations you have been asking for, then fine, If this is part of your voluntary checking for TfWM you say you do, then you need to be correct. I am as pro public transport as you can get, and one of my pet hates is confusing information going to possible passengers. It is really hard to attract people onto buses, but really easy to drive them away, something like telling a first time traveller the X51 served Newtown Row would probably stop them using buses for ever.

Bus Man K2

Quote from: ellspurs on January 07, 2021, 06:12:46 PM
GETTING BACK ON TOPIC TO THE THREAD TITLE

*cough*

Sorry about that.

In the updated Birmingham map on the TfWM site, the 53 route is still showing the wrong route in the Alum Rock area. See previous posts from myself/2206, specifically: https://wmbusphotos.com/forum/index.php?topic=1565.msg274711#msg274711

Yes I think I have already added this to my observations. I'm trying to go through all the old (TfWM) timetables and marry up what's changed. It's taking me forever!! 😁 That's why I was asking about the 35 and that's when all that on the last page kicked off! 😁 😁 I also wnat to get back on topic now.

Tony

Quote from: Bus Man K2 on January 07, 2021, 06:19:12 PM
Yes I think I have already added this to my observations. I'm trying to go through all the old (TfWM) timetables and marry up what's changed. It's taking me forever!! 😁 That's why I was asking about the 35 and that's when all that on the last page kicked off! 😁 😁 I also wnat to get back on topic now.

As far as I can see, the 35 on the map is correct, terminating on Moor Street, where it has been for many years, so what is the query

Stu

Quote from: Bus Man K2 on January 07, 2021, 06:06:01 PM
All I'm saying though is that I would say the the 35 does serve Moor street Q'way. Obviously if it doesnt actually stop/terminate  or start there then it may not actually 'serve' the road. But it all comes down to the definition of 'serve' and as no one has given a definition I still would say it serves it. Now lets call that the end and beg to differ!! 😁

A bus serves a road when it has a stop there for people to use.

Line of route is a different matter, because there may be certain roads that a service operates along but does not stop, for example the 2 and 3 services operate along Highgate Road in Sparkbrook, but do not serve them as they do not stop there.

In your example, the 35's line of route includes Moor Street Queensway, but it does not serve that road.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Bus Man K2

Quote from: Tony on January 07, 2021, 06:16:50 PM
It does serve Moor Street, but not Moor Street Queensway, they are two different roads, If you are saying these for your own records to 'share with a few friends' like the destinations you have been asking for, then fine, If this is part of your voluntary checking for TfWM you say you do, then you need to be correct. I am as pro public transport as you can get, and one of my pet hates is confusing information going to possible passengers. It is really hard to attract people onto buses, but really easy to drive them away, something like telling a first time traveller the X51 served Newtown Row would probably stop them using buses for ever.

Again @Tony  I am still going with 'Serve' even if it actually doesn't properly stop on a road. Much like what the X12 dose between Bitmingham and Bromford. Now I know that sound confilted but it 'serces the Q' way in my eyes but not actually!! 😁

And yes it is for my voluntary job.

Bus Man K2

Quote from: Stu on January 07, 2021, 06:23:52 PM
A bus serves a road when it has a stop there for people to use.

Line of route is a different matter, because there may be certain roads that a service operates along but does not stop, for example the 2 and 3 services operate along Highgate Road in Sparkbrook, but do not serve them as they do not stop there.

In your example, the 35's line of route includes Moor Street Queensway, but it does not serve that road.

You've hit the nail on the head there @Stu.. 😁

Quote from: Bus Man K2 on January 07, 2021, 06:24:16 PM
Again @Tony  I am still going with 'Serve' even if it actually doesn't properly stop on a road. Much like what the X12 dose between Bitmingham and Bromford.
If you tried to flag an X12 on Nechells Parkway, they would most certianly drive past you and you'd probably be stood there all day.
So no it does not serve Nechells Parkwway.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Bus Man K2

Does anybody know if the 94A has re-started up again?

Bus Man K2

Quote from: 2206 on January 07, 2021, 06:26:36 PM
If you tried to flag an X12 on Nechells Parkway, they would most certianly drive past you and you'd probably be stood there all day.
So no it does not serve Nechells Parkwway.

But it does operate along there in Cases of conjestion. I know it dooes drews Lane and Washwood Heath Road and I travelled on it and it did that route. I think it even stopped a d dropped off and picked up. But obviously that was way before the first lockdown.

Tony

Quote from: Bus Man K2 on January 07, 2021, 06:24:16 PM
Again @Tony  I am still going with 'Serve' even if it actually doesn't properly stop on a road. Much like what the X12 dose between Bitmingham and Bromford. Now I know that sound confilted but it 'serces the Q' way in my eyes but not actually!! 😁

And yes it is for my voluntary job.

I think it is about time for me to advise TfWM then because as I said incorrect information is worse than no information.

ellspurs

Quote from: Bus Man K2 on January 07, 2021, 06:28:19 PM
Does anybody know if the 94A has re-started up again?

Bustimes says it has: https://bustimes.org/services/94a-birmingham-chelmsley-wood-via-ward-end

https://bustimes.org/vehicles/196522 shows that YJ12 CHH did a journey on it today.

Also the bus stop flags show 94A on them on the route.

Bus Man K2

Quote from: Tony on January 07, 2021, 06:31:41 PM
I think it is about time for me to advise TfWM then because as I said incorrect information is worse than no information.

No I try my best. Infact most of my previous observations have been taken on. So I must be doing something right.

Tony

Quote from: Bus Man K2 on January 07, 2021, 06:33:04 PM

No I try my best. Infact most of my previous observations have been taken on. So I must be doing something right.

Listen to me speaking not angrily, but as someone who spent some years advising the public both as a City Inspector and a Travelshop manager.

Putting the X12/X70 on Nechells Parkway is just confusing and wrong, not only can you not catch it or get off there, some days you won't even see one there. I don't dispute you do your best and will have done a good job correcting many of their errors, but you need to listen to us that you are not always right. It is not just me, but three others have told you about the X12, but we are all wrong.  On a map the X12 (and the X70) should not appear anywhere between The Priory Queensway and Bromford Lane/Bromford Road junction that way no-one walks along any roads looking for a stop with the number on, no passengers on the bus think they can get off there. And the passengers using the bus for valid journeys don't care which way it goes as long as it gets them where they are going on time

ellspurs

Quote from: Tony on January 07, 2021, 06:46:43 PM
Listen to me speaking not angrily, but as someone who spent some years advising the public both as a City Inspector and a Travelshop manager.

Putting the X12/X70 on Nechells Parkway is just confusing and wrong, not only can you not catch it or get off there, some days you won't even see one there. I don't dispute you do your best and will have done a good job correcting many of their errors, but you need to listen to us that you are not always right. It is not just me, but three others have told you about the X12, but we are all wrong.  On a map the X12 (and the X70) should not appear anywhere between The Priory Queensway and Bromford Lane/Bromford Road junction that way no-one walks along any roads looking for a stop with the number on, no passengers on the bus think they can get off there. And the passengers using the bus for valid journeys don't care which way it goes as long as it gets them where they are going on time

If it is essential that the route is marked from Bromford to the city centre (because I can see people getting confused about it not showing a route), they should probably consider using a different colour to indicate "service does not stop on this road", which they could then use for the other services that are limited stop/direct services. In the case of X12/X70 // X1/X2 that can use multiple routes to get between one place and another, the route marked should be the default route the services are asked to use.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk