News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Drivers - Bus Reviews & Opinions

Started by 2900, July 13, 2014, 12:38:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Tony on July 29, 2014, 10:10:04 PM
And yes, there are being transferred to Dundee. no more for a bit.

Sounds ominous.

I like the Presidents, as buses go i don't think they are bad at all.

I know some have been refurbished, but surely the time has come to take them off the 11A/C and give this prestige route newer buses. Am not saying they should be withdrawn, they are to good for that!
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Kiewii

4026 must be quite good as it was towed out Dundee depot this morning...

4230 recent refurb so still looks good, grey nx spec seat cushions manky floors.  To drive whilst in the most a decent bus to drive , gearbox lets the show down bad jolts when taking up drive very annoying problem only way round it with handbrake applied press the accelerator listen/feel the cog drop in let the handbrake go all is fine. Decent ride from suspension, brakes smooth as well, decent pace. 5/10

4295 recent refurb inside out still looking ok. Drives really well all smooth nothing out of ordinary, probably another boring bus for the enthusiast not much going on even the gearbox doesn't really whine enough , got some rattles but not overly so. Suspension, brakes all very good. Somebody has placed what appears to an external alexander badge above the vin tags never seen that before. 7/10

Ashley

I have the pleasure every morning on the 74 of an alx. Bit sluggish but that's just a voith thing. I do like them alot compared to a fair few of our tridents. Its the scruffy interiors that bug me but that's just the routes pb and wb use them on

my personal favourites include 4232 4242 4258 and 4297, can't think of the others.

i owe thanks to the 71a for alot of this particular haulage

4272 recent refurb so still looks very good, decent bus to drive , mechanically all is good, some rattling going not bad for alexander I guess, decent on dual carriageways. A bit boring you could say. 7/10

4291 oh my god what a shed haven't driven a bus as appalling as this pile of crap in a while. I would gladly drive this to Pvs myself on my day off free of charge and thumb a lift back.  Every thing rattles ,shakes and wobbles in the cab and platform area just awfull even worse on rough roads. So slow to pull away it's a joke. Pulling away on inclines feels like for ever for engine to get going so bad it's unreal. Can of petrol and some matches any one. Recent refurb as well  so looks much better than it drives. 2/10

4714 early repaint, orignall  trim, drives well for a 4700 series does every thing well,  good ride on this vehicle, nothing to pick out mechanically , even the cab seat decent on this one most are mashed. A bit dull really. 7/10

Ashley

4638 is a beast I agree there. Not as keen on the 45xx's as they're the ones that look the tattyest and have the most vandal damage although 4513 has abit of umph at times. I agree with the comments about 4518, not one I like. 4509 rattles a lot at the rear of the lower saloon. 4709 is my favourite of that batch, would be better if they'd given it a full repaint after its accident

Liverpool Street

2900 - I'll soon be compiling all your bus review threads. Bloody annoying all over the place.

C.
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

4710 very good all rounder,  early repaint, still looks presentable, orignal interior trim,  very dirty floors, suspension does good of soaking up the rough roads speed bumps no issues. Brakes smooth as well, it not the fastest Gemini here at west brom but for a 4700 pretty decent. Engine/Gearbox smooth , no whines or unusual noises from this bus so dull from this point view. Not much in the rattle department either.  Does everything on the box. 7/10

Trident 4609

Quote from: Ashley on August 04, 2014, 07:10:46 PM
4638 is a beast I agree there. Not as keen on the 45xx's as they're the ones that look the tattyest and have the most vandal damage although 4513 has abit of umph at times. I agree with the comments about 4518, not one I like. 4509 rattles a lot at the rear of the lower saloon. 4709 is my favourite of that batch, would be better if they'd given it a full repaint after its accident
Just missed 4638 on the Soho Rd yesterday. Got to the stop and he had departed. Instead i had a slow unrefurbed ALX400 bodied B7TL

4517 this would be an excellent gemni , gearbox lets the show down a bit temperamental , gear changes have  surges during up changes,  up on releasing the handbrake can sometimes jolt forwards. Suspension excellent even on pot holes soak,es it all up, very smooth on speed bumps probably one of the best in this department. Brakes excellent, engine smooth and rev happy, cab has a brand new small steering wheel nice. Driver seat very comfortable IMO the air cushion has been removed now has mechanical adjustment vast improvement. Early repaint still looks ok , interior orignal twm trim looking very tired. Do like this one even with the box complaints. 7/10

Shame you missed 4638 what a beast to drive, haven't come across an alx 400 b7 that even remotely comes close to this one

Ashley

Had 4705 4708 4714 4716 4513 and 4273 on 87's this week. 4273 would have got some speed up if Dudley Road wasn't a car park most of the day, be very much improved after refurb. 4513 I think I've mentioned is a nice motor, be nicer also with a full refurb, 4714 either has noticeably better steering or we just had a skilled driver at the wheel this morning but I think as previously mentioned, a presentable vehicle and a decent enough journey, 4716 is just death by cooling fan and has some sheet metal on the downstairs ceiling, normally to be found upstairs, the new trim is fairing well after two years. 4705 and 4708, nippy vehicles at times from the spotters point of view, both could do with new trim at some point, the paintwork on this batch is better than most Gemini's, I think the 82/87 route branding in particular for some reason makes the vehicles just that bit smarter or maybe it's that time of night where i'm just chuntering rubbish. Any how, back to the 74's from friday so sticky feet, etched windows and some Voith ALX's before the new stuff arrives "sad face"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk