News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Greener Buses

Started by ARBB, November 01, 2015, 12:10:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARBB

NX potentially going greener......

we're bidding for several million pounds of funding for four innovations:
Retro-fitting 200 older buses with 'traps' which reduce local air pollution

Ensuring every new bus we buy from now on is a "smart electric", which is clever technology on a diesel engine to reduce fuel use and emissions

Buying 60 fully electric buses (ie they don't run on diesel at all) for use in the Black Country and Birmingham

Buying 20 hydrogen fuel cell buses to run in Solihull and Birmingham

We'll find out in a few months if this funding bid has been successful, and I'll keep everyone posted on when to look out for these future technologies

Liverpool Street

20 hydrogen buses in Solihull ?

Why doesn't NX relieve Diamond of thier Signature work, in all honesty.
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

MW

Quote from: Liverpool Street on November 01, 2015, 01:53:44 AM
20 hydrogen buses in Solihull ?

Why doesn't NX relieve Diamond of thier Signature work, in all honesty.

That'd be good thing. It'd all presumably go to AG which would be interesting, and allow some interesting route moves across BC/YW/AG. It'd probably also mean a new vehicle type at AG. Thinking about it, it'd probably mean E200s, so it's probably best not to happen overall based on what you guys say about E200s!

Liberator9

Interesting to hear - the Electrics carefully managed would very handy - I know some areas that use pure electric buses and they build it into the running boards to allow them to charge up. Good acceleration too. Will be interesting if NX try for any of the Signature contracts when they come up next time.

Stevo

Those few hydrogen fuel cell vehicles in use so far are always full size single deckers, so you'd expect AG to use them on the 37 or 71/72. I hope the 'smart electric' on diesels isn't just another name for an acceleration limiter.

winston

I'm surprised the ADL Gas bus isn't being considered, Reading seem to rate them & have built up a fleet of 34 of them:
http://www.scania.co.uk/products/buses-coaches/bus-range/scania-adl-e300/

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: pndriver on November 01, 2015, 12:10:19 AM

Ensuring every new bus we buy from now on is a "smart electric", which is clever technology on a diesel engine to reduce fuel use and emissions

Buying 60 fully electric buses (ie they don't run on diesel at all) for use in the Black Country and Birmingham

We'll find out in a few months if this funding bid has been successful, and I'll keep everyone posted on when to look out for these future technologies

The councillor for Bearwood will be pleased  ;D ;D ;D
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Solo1

will the new buses have wi fi like the decker's  on the fast routes

winston

Quote from: Solo1 on November 03, 2015, 03:57:50 PM
will the new buses have wi fi like the decker's  on the fast routes

The above buses aren't on order, they are bidding for funding only at this stage

Liam

Approximately how long will the batteries last for on these 'all electric buses'

Liberator9

Optare Versa Electrics can go for around 5 1/2hours in service - then they need around 25 minutes charging before being able to run another 5 hours approx. It depends on the route - no hills, relatively flat with around 5 minutes layover time at the terminus.

barry619

Quote from: pndriver on November 01, 2015, 12:10:19 AM

If all this is allegedly for money from the government's ongoing low emission bus scheme, then it will take a lot more than 'several million pounds' to satisfy all of the above. It would need about a hundred million pounds, and the government has only made available £30m in total.

The LEB scheme is also weighted heavily towards the VFM aspect of any bid and how likely an application is to foster technology which will be commercially viable on a stand alone basis in the future. Fuel cell doesn't have a hope of getting anything out of the LEB scheme because it's so outrageously expensive.

Solo1

Quote from: Winston on November 03, 2015, 05:24:14 PM
The above buses aren't on order, they are bidding for funding only at this stage
I know but if they get the money will they have wi fi  is what I was asking

GeminiFan1991

Quote from: Solo1 on November 04, 2015, 09:49:50 PM
I know but if they get the money will they have wi fi  is what I was asking

Wi Fi is a luxury and I reckon it'll be exclusive for the Platinums
Please check out my Bus Photos @

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128406405@N06/

BK63 YWP

Quote from: GeminiFan1991 on November 04, 2015, 10:07:46 PM
Wi Fi is a luxury and I reckon it'll be exclusive for the Platinums

Coventrys ex wa enviro 400 have wifi :)
The Funny sounding Enviro 400