News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

national /regional bus timetables

Started by windy miller, April 10, 2012, 03:31:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

windy miller

I am sure there is a fully comp national rail timetable-but where could I find a similar table for connecting service buses.  ideas anyone?
Mind the Gap.....?:-)

Stu

Try Transport Direct:
http://www.transportdirect.info/Web2/Home.aspx?&repeatingloop=Y
for planning jouneys across the UK.

Or the various regional Traveline sites:
http://traveline.info/

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

windy miller

I had thought of the first available Bham to stratford service then stratford to cheltenham then chelt to glos-chepstow - cardiff? this would have to be one way of course!!

Stu

You may as well get a coach or train, would be far quicker!  ::)
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Tony

But you cannot use a concessionary pass on the coach or train

Isle of Stroma

If you're trying to get to Cardiff, here's a suggestion:

First Midlands 144. Birmingham (09:47) – Worcester (11:30)
First Midlands 420. Worcester (12:05) – Hereford (13:21)
Stagecoach Cymru X4. Hereford (14:30) – Cardiff (18:00)

windy miller

nel111. sorry m8 didnt see your post. I appreciate your advice I had not previously thought of that route. A service bus from Hereford to Cardiff? That must be a fair distance-I expect it would run via abergavenny-blackwood-and newport. I was wondering how often they run?       I could do better (timewise anyway). I can use my travel pass to get me to Stourbridge Jcn for around 10.15 am,then a single to Hereford, (change at worcester) with senior railcard (£6+ I think it was)- then as you suggested, a first bus from Hereford to cardiff.I will give it a try when the weather improves.   Now..How do I get to Norwich on a sat (from B'Ham) with a bus pass.... :)

danny

That is some serious commitment to the hobbies fair play I don't think is have the patients to do all than changes
Danny :) proud swift, mango and oyster user...

My locals 12, 12A, 13, 22, 126, and the sixes every weekend :)

Isle of Stroma

Quote from: windy miller on May 12, 2012, 12:45:14 AM
A service bus from Hereford to Cardiff? That must be a fair distance-I expect it would run via abergavenny-blackwood-and newport. I was wondering how often they run?

It runs via Pontrilas, Abergavenny, Brynmawr, Ebbw Vale, Merthyr & Pontypridd (roughly) every two hours.

I could do better (timewise anyway).

So can I, but that costs money! I was demonstrating that it's doable for free ;)

Now..How do I get to Norwich on a sat (from B'Ham) with a bus pass.... :)

Again, all perfectly doable without recourse to the wallet. For instance:

NXWM 900. B'ham Moor St (06:00) - Coventry (07:09)
Johnsons 580. Coventry (07:35) - Rugby (08:45)
Stagecoach Warwickshire 96. Rugby (09:12) - Northampton (10:29)
Stagecoach Northants X4. Northampton (10:45) - Peterborough (13:02)
First (Eastern Counties) X1. Peterborough (13:14) - Norwich (16:20)

Isle of Stroma

I'm enjoying this thread. It takes me back over 20 years when I used to regularly travel between Birmingham & Highbridge (Somerset) by combining Midland Red West & Badgerline/Cityline day rover tickets. Money was tight but time wasn't a problem - & those Bristol RE's based at Wells were fun!

arrifirststage

whilst the Cardiff trip is perfectly feasable and,I imagine,a great experience there is one snag.Is not the object of the exercise to travel for free...........English issued passes  are not accepted for free travel in Wales,not even old peoples passes,I know because I can't use mine on holiday in Llandudno.
I suppose fares would be required beyond say Pontrilas.

windy miller

Arrif. I'm sure you are right about free 'bus' passes not being available in wales but it doesn't
seem fair play to me! a few years ago I found myself stuck in Aberdeen for a minimum of 10 hours before I could 'legaly' drive home. I had no problem when I showed my pass on local transport. I may be wrong but I have a feeling that in scotland,(unlike Everywhere else) you CAN use your over 60's pass on all bus AND COACH services Within the borders? confirmation anyone?? :-\

Roy

Quote from: windy miller on May 12, 2012, 08:15:02 PM
Arrif. I'm sure you are right about free 'bus' passes not being available in wales but it doesn't
seem fair play to me! a few years ago I found myself stuck in Aberdeen for a minimum of 10 hours before I could 'legaly' drive home. I had no problem when I showed my pass on local transport. I may be wrong but I have a feeling that in scotland,(unlike Everywhere else) you CAN use your over 60's pass on all bus AND COACH services Within the borders? confirmation anyone?? :-\

I'm sorry to be the bearer of sad tidings, but the English Concessionary Bus Pass only gives free bus travel in England.  The good news is that the Scots have to pay when they come down here!

Isle of Stroma

Quote from: arrifirststage on May 12, 2012, 10:06:15 AM
whilst the Cardiff trip is perfectly feasable and,I imagine,a great experience there is one snag.Is not the object of the exercise to travel for free...........English issued passes  are not accepted for free travel in Wales,not even old peoples passes,I know because I can't use mine on holiday in Llandudno.
I suppose fares would be required beyond say Pontrilas.

Oops, I forgot about that. Still, I've got another couple of decades to go before I qualify for my pass!

Justin Tyme

Back to this: -

Quote from: windy miller on April 11, 2012, 01:57:27 PM
I had thought of the first available Bham to stratford service then stratford to cheltenham then chelt to glos-chepstow - cardiff? this would have to be one way of course!!

Most of this would be quite easy.  There are about hourly services on

• Birmingham - Stratford (Johnsons X20)
  • Stratford - Moreton-in-Marsh (Johnsons 21/22/23) and
  • Moreton-in-Marsh - Cheltenham (Pulhams 801).
Cheltenham - Gloucester is every 10 minutes with Stagecoach Gold Scania/Enviro 400s (service 94), then Gloucester - Lydney is hourly (Stagecoach 23).  However, the weak link is Lydney - Chepstow, which only runs about 4 times a day (James Bevan 755).  There are ways round this, but the alternatives are indirect.  Chepstow - Newport - Cardiff is easy by frequent Stagecoach and Newport Transport/Cardiff services.

You wouldn't get back in the same day, of course, but you could get as far as Gloucester then return via Upton-on-Severn and Worcester (or quite possibly via Hereford and Worcester).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk