News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

national /regional bus timetables

Started by windy miller, April 10, 2012, 03:31:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roy

Quote from: Justin Tyme on May 13, 2012, 10:41:49 AM
Back to this: -

Quote from: windy miller on April 11, 2012, 01:57:27 PM
I had thought of the first available Bham to stratford service then stratford to cheltenham then chelt to glos-chepstow - cardiff? this would have to be one way of course!!

Most of this would be quite easy.  There are about hourly services on

• Birmingham - Stratford (Johnsons X20)
  • Stratford - Moreton-in-Marsh (Johnsons 21/22/23) and
  • Moreton-in-Marsh - Cheltenham (Pulhams 801).
Cheltenham - Gloucester is every 10 minutes with Stagecoach Gold Scania/Enviro 400s (service 94), then Gloucester - Lydney is hourly (Stagecoach 23).  However, the weak link is Lydney - Chepstow, which only runs about 4 times a day (James Bevan 755).  There are ways round this, but the alternatives are indirect.  Chepstow - Newport - Cardiff is easy by frequent Stagecoach and Newport Transport/Cardiff services.

You wouldn't get back in the same day, of course, but you could get as far as Gloucester then return via Upton-on-Severn and Worcester (or quite possibly via Hereford and Worcester).

This brings back memories of my childhood.  Bristol Omnibus Company introduced a day out ticket which cost 5/- (25p) for children.  During the school holidays, my friends and I would work out circular routes to get as far as possible from Bristol in one day.  At that time, you could get to Great Malvern, Evesham, Oxford and Swindon by Bristol OC bus, and we managed to get to all four (on different days of course).  One of our favourites was Bristol - Bath - Salisbury - Swindon - Cheltenham - Stroud - Gloucester - Bristol.  A couple of years ago, while helping my parents have a clear-out, I found an old exercise book with 36 routes that we had devised.  Just think about what could have been achieved in a day on the old Midland Red network. It's a pity that the drastic reduction of country bus services has made these sort of trips almost impossible these days.

arrifirststage

Have members noticed that most of the trips possible today are on long distance Stagecoach services.When Midland Red was split,in1981,there was a continual reduction in these types of route.Can people still recall the X68,X96,X92,X62 and best of all the X12 (Derby) and X99 (Nottingham).
The last two were responsible for my lifelong interest in buses beyond Birmingham,introducing Trent (the PROPER one),Midland General,Barton Transport (again the PROPER one) East Midland,etc,etc.
Today,direct routes from Birmingham do not even include Leamington,Stafford,Nuneaton,Kidderminster,and so on.
Deregulation is not all wonderful.

Justin Tyme

I did many long distance day trips in my younger days, too.  In the late 1970s and early 1980s the National Bus Company had a "Wanderbus" day ticket which was valid on most NBC buses from the North Midlands southwards.  Using this, I managed to do day trips such as: -

Birmingham - Northampton - Bedford - Aylesbury - Oxford - Birmingham,
Birmingham - Leicester - Loughborough - Nottingham - Derby - Burton - Birmingham, and
Birmingham - Evesham - Gloucester - Bristol - Gloucester (via Wotton-under-Edge) - Worcester - Birmingham.

Sadly, as arrifirststage says, it's not so easy now - nor as cheap!  But, using an Arriva Day Ticket it is possible to do Birmingham - Tamworth - Nuneaton - Leicester - Coalville - Burton - Birmingham in a day.   Also possible is Wolverhampton - Stafford - Telford - Shrewsbury - Bridgnorth - Wolverhampton.

With First it is possible to do Birmingham - Redditch - Evesham - Worcester - Kidderminster - Bromsgrove - Birmingham;  while a Stagecoach Dayrider Gold enables you to do Coventry - Oxford and back in a big loop, or Coventry - Milton Keynes and back in a figure of 8.

Isle of Stroma

With a bit of cheating (using the train between Northampton & Rugby), I've done Coventry - Heathrow using a Midland Fox day ticket. Peterborough was another favourite, as the ticket was also valid on Viscount (lots of VR bashing). Midland Red West rovers were good for B'ham - Evesham - Worcester - Hereford - Kidderminster - B'ham. Away from the Midlands, Southern National rover tickets were also good for Highbridge - Taunton - Exeter - Bristol - Taunton - Highbridge. On summer saturdays, Highbridge - Taunton (National 2) - Weymouth (change buses at Axminster, VR on both legs) - Ilminster (VR) - Taunton (Plaxton narrow bodied Bristol LH) - Highbridge (Breadvan!) was fun.

arrifirststage

All these trips bring back wonderful memories of things the younger enthusiasts will not be able to experience.
On a personal note,a particularly favourite operator was Crosville-probably inspired from North Wales holidays.However,the Company remained tantalisingly outof reach by day ticket (except via Shrewsbury and Whitchurch) because in those days,Shrewsbury-Oswestry was Vaggs Motors and Shrewsbury-Welshpool-Newtown was Mid Wales Motors.
The only other way seemed to be Newcastle-under Lyme to Crewe,but unfortunately Stafford-Newcastle was PMT operated.
Can other members recall similar frustrations?

Justin Tyme

Quote from: arrifirststage on May 13, 2012, 04:29:19 PM
... Can other members recall similar frustrations?
I can!  I wanted to do Birmingham - Stoke - Derby - Birmingham using an NBC Wanderbus ticket, but the only way eastwards from Uttoxeter was by Stevensons to Burton - not an NBC company.  Another time, again with a Wanderbus ticket, there wasn't a suitable Trent journey from Loughborough to Nottingham, and the only was was by South Notts, who used Atlanteans and Fleetlines.

Despite my skinflint tendencies, I accepted the inevitable, used the services and paid.  I am really glad I did!

windy miller

Thanks justin. I'm loving these threads! Mostly hypothetical I know-but there is one I want to try ( ASAP ) I need to return some expensive small items to a company on the bristol road IN Gloucester (ie A40 southbound from the city centre) which would cost me a non refundable postage in excess of the value of the items! Any Idea's (from Birmingham) really would be appreciated- many thanks. PS- and back to B'ham of course -any weekday.
Mind the Gap.....?:-)

Justin Tyme

I think the easiest and quickest (or least slow) way to Gloucester would be this: -

First 144                  Birmingham - Worcester
First 362/363           Worcester - Upton-on-Severn
Astons  361/351      Upton - Gloucester
Stagecoach 12/12A Gloucester - Bristol Road

If you start on the 0800 144 from Smallbrook Queensway, you should be in Gloucester Bus Station by 1207.  Coming back, however, will probably take longer due to poorer connections.

The Worcestershire County Council website at http://www.worcestershire.gov.uk/cms/bus/timetables.aspx has timetables for the First and Astons services.  Stagecoach 12 and 12A run every 15 minutes - see .

Roy

I may be wrong but I don't think you get there and back in a day by bus if you leave after 9.30 am to use a bus pass. 

According to Traveline, it is just about possible if you catch the 0855 First service 144 to Worcester, the 1050 Astons service 417 to Ledbury and the 1214 Stagecoach service 132 to Gloucester arriving at the Bus Station at 1307.  Then a Stagecoach service 12 from Eastgate Street at 1315 would get you to Bristol Road before 1329, with a return service 12 after 1344 getting you back at 1404 before catching the 1407 Stagecoach service 132 to Ledbury, the 1555 Aston service 417 to Worcester and the 1645 service 144 to Birmingham.  Now that is tight !

To be sure, you would need to leave Birmingham at 0640 on First service 146, Redditch at 0740 on service 350, Worcester at 0850 on service 363, Upton-on-Severn at 0940 on service 361, and Tewkesbury at 1108 on service 351 to Gloucester arriving at 1207.  Then there is a bus every 15 minutes on services 12/12A to Bristol Road, meaning that you can get back to the Bus Station by 1407 at your leisure.

What a pity it isn't 1969.  You could have caught Midland Red service X72 at 0925 arriving at Gloucester at 1203, followed by Bristol OC service 529 at 1215 to Bristol Road.  Coming back, a Bristol OC 529 at about 1245 or a 526 at about 1308 would have got you back at the Bus Station at either 1256 or 1319, giving you plenty of time for a pie and a pint before catching the 1510 service X72 back to Birmingham, arriving at 1801. 
Alternatively, if you fancied a lie-in.  Midland Red service X74 departed at 1025 arriving at Cheltenham at 1302.  From there, Bristol OC service 549 at 1312 got you to Gloucester Bus Station at 1344, where you could board service 526 to Bristol Road at 1350.  Coming back, service 529 passed Bristol Road at about 1445, arriving at Gloucester Bus Station at 1456, in time for the 1510 service X72 back to Birmingham. 

All that and at least two rides on either a KSW, a Lodekka or an RE.  Those were the days!

windy miller

Grief! thanks for all the effort chaps! :o. The first and last 'legs' into Gloucester would be easy enough,but the cheltenham-moreton/moreton-stratford  legs (in both directions ) would have to be well planned! - I assume there is no B'ham-Evesham Svc anymore? (Justin t)you would think there would be a bus service from evesham to cheltenham,then chelt-glos? I will try the stratford moreton route next week, that looks the safest option.as someone pointed out earlier in the post--there is NO free travel before 09.30am.

windy miller

Arrif. you mention the X12(derby) and the X99 both Midland red of course, I was very familiar with the X99. As a teenager I would board the nottingham bus which took about 2 and half hours from erdington.This would get me into nott'm for 12.30.I would then run like hell across town to nottingham Victoria station. Here I would board a train at Exactly 1pm to grantham to clock the east coast 'streaks' (A4. Mallard),or A1/A2/3  Locomotives.I had to leave at 4.30pm to get back to victoria-then the last X99 back home. all for about 17/- (85p) happy days.

windy miller

Arrif-there had to be a reason you could not use your pass in llandudno-If you actualy LIVE in WALES there is a welsh concessionary pass available to welsh residents over 60 or disabled. there is a website,- Transport direct.info- which I think will confirm this. Also,It would appear that there IS free concessionary travel in SCOTLAND, but again you would need to be a genuine scottish resident.-their concessions are better than england!! If you live on a scottish island you are allowed two free trips (by ferry) to the mainland per year.their concession, (as I thought)-,DO include both local AND Longer distance Coach travel within Scottish borders.
www.transportscotland.gov.uk

Isle of Stroma

Quote from: windy miller on May 13, 2012, 09:14:49 PM
I need to return some expensive small items to a company on the bristol road IN Gloucester (ie A40 southbound from the city centre) which would cost me a non refundable postage in excess of the value of the items! Any Idea's (from Birmingham) really would be appreciated- many thanks. PS- and back to B'ham of course -any weekday.

This is the best i could manage, on a friday during university terms:

First Midlands 146. Birmingham (09:50) - Redditch (10:37)
First Midlands 247. Redditch (10:45) - Evesham (12:00)
Astons 540. Evesham (12:48) - Cheltenham (14:00)
Stagecoach Glos' 94U. Cheltenham (14:10) - Gloucester (14:40)

Stagecoach Glos' 94U. Gloucester (16:40) - Cheltenham (17:10)
Astons 540. Cheltenham (17:45) - Evesham (19:02)
Diamond Bus 551. Evesham (19:45) - Worcester (20:42)
First Midlands 144. Worcester (21:55) - Birmingham (23:15)

Justin Tyme

Here's another alternative, out via Stratford and Moreton, back via Worcester.

Johnsons X20  Birmingham 0710 - Stratford 0835
Johnsons 21  Stratford 0910 - Moreton in Marsh 1027
Pulhams 801  Moreton in Marsh 1110 - Cheltenham 1227
Stagecoach Gold 94  Cheltenham 1240 - Gloucester 1316
Stagecoach 12A  Gloucester 1330 - Bristol Road 1345

Take a breath, then head for home:  -

Stagecoach 12A  Bristol Road 1400 - Gloucester 1419
Astons 351  Gloucester 1430 - Upton on Severn 1601
First 362  Upton on Severn 1640 - Worcester 1719
First 144  Worcester 1820 - Birmingham 1945

If you don't mind going and coming back the same way, a quicker way to Gloucester is: -

First 144  Birmingham 0732 - Worcester 0920
First 362  Worcester 0950 - Upton on Severn 1036
Astons 361  Upton on Severn 1041 - Gloucester 1207
Stagecoach 12  Gloucester 1215 - Bristol Road 1230

Whatever you do, good luck and enjoy it!  I enjoy journeys like this when I get the chance!

Isle of Stroma

Quote from: Justin Tyme on May 14, 2012, 07:04:52 PM
Here's another alternative, out via Stratford and Moreton, back via Worcester.

Johnsons X20  Birmingham 0710 - Stratford 0835
Johnsons 21  Stratford 0910 - Moreton in Marsh 1027

Unfortunately, that one bites the dust due to the 09:30 start time of the concessionary pass. It's what's making the trip so difficult.

Quote from: Justin Tyme on May 14, 2012, 07:04:52 PM
Whatever you do, good luck and enjoy it!  I enjoy journeys like this when I get the chance!

I know just what you mean. I can visualise the journeys, connections (where to stand, what can be seen/photographed - & the real ale bar potentials!) of the itinerys that i've supplied.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk