News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

£81 Million Investment in West Midlands Bus Network

Started by winston, July 03, 2013, 12:17:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winston

Quote from: The Rat on July 07, 2013, 06:33:39 PM

Indeed, but it is nothing like the high profile 50 or 97 etc.

Saying that Winston regarding the PR branding, if they continue using the usual branding (like on the 50 etc etc) then it sure will be boring.

Why not add like a green stripe or shape or something between the red and white? Or colour the whole middle between the windows or something. Having a differant branding between the routes rather then the same "shaped" branding with just differant colours etc. (If you understand what I'm waffling about - English Writing isn't a strong point!)

I thought the Bristol Rd stood a good chance as the associated 98 & X64 have both had new buses recently

Unless, they were to opt to upgrade the 97 with new double deckers & cascade the 54 plate Tridents on the BR

I couldn't see any more than two of BC's main corridors updated during that period due to high Pvr's etc

Rob H

Quote from: Winston on July 07, 2013, 07:48:03 PM
Quote from: Trident 4609 on July 07, 2013, 06:51:00 PM
Winston, I think they should repaint/refurb 4575-83 (Plus 4584 included) tob gain new 126 branding.

It's always a possibility, but they will have clocked up a fair few miles by now on the 126.

I was proposing that the Hagley Road become a gold corridor in conjunction with the 126 having a new fleet

WN has had more than its fair share of new buses, so can't see too many of the 300 due heading that way

They could brand another 10 Tridents like 4541 - 4550 :)
60 Birmingham - Cranes Park
72/72A Solihull Station - Chelmsley Wood
73 Solihull - Heartlands Hospital
X1 Birmingham - Coventry
X2 Birmingham - Solihull Station
A10 Solihull - Cranes Park / Chelmsley Wood

winston

Quote from: JackC on July 07, 2013, 06:39:46 PM
Quote from: Winston on July 07, 2013, 04:13:31 PM
WB:
To receive a further batch of E200's to allow all B6LE & ALX200's to be withdrawn & those routes upgraded to new buses throughout
40 & 41 to be upgraded with new full size single deckers & branded

Firstly, more E200s is a definite need to kill of the remaining B6LEs/Darts but what about killing off the last of the Mercs? As good as they are, should they really be staying in service for another 2 years?

Secondly, I agree with full size single deckers for the 40, as E200s can sometimes get quite full quite quickly, but not for the 41. The 41 uses Darts and I doubt needs anything but Darts.

I was proposing further Presidents ex AG/YW & new full size single deckers to replace Mercs.

I loose track, is the 40 (old 401) & 41 (old 402)? if so I thought they both were originally B6LE's which then got upgraded to Mercs. May be some new full size would be better employed on the 45 or 46 then

winston

Quote from: Rob4367 on July 07, 2013, 07:43:37 PM
During the course of the next two years, I'd like to see NXWM upgrade the following routes/garages:

BC:
Pershore Road to be upgraded with new double deckers & to become a gold corridor - to be branded
Bristol Road to be upgraded with new double deckers & to become a gold corridor - to be branded
900 to receive Airport branding
Tridents to be cascaded to PE, WN & YW

I would like to see Branding for the 900 & 957 aswell Winston but I don't think its going to happen (it will be great if it did though) but I agree with you about the Pershore Road & Bristol Road Corridors they definitly need NEW Buses at least :)

It could happen if the future, but the 900/957 only share common sections up to Sheldon, then they obviously go to completely different final destinations which are miles apart

JackC

Quote from: Winston on July 07, 2013, 08:04:03 PM
WB:
To receive a further batch of E200's to allow all B6LE & ALX200's to be withdrawn & those routes upgraded to new buses throughout

Firstly, more E200s is a definite need to kill of the remaining B6LEs/Darts but what about killing off the last of the Mercs? As good as they are, should they really be staying in service for another 2 years?

Secondly, I agree with full size single deckers for the 40, as E200s can sometimes get quite full quite quickly, but not for the 41. The 41 uses Darts and I doubt needs anything but Darts.

I was proposing further Presidents ex AG/YW & new full size single deckers to replace Mercs.

I loose track, is the 40 (old 401) & 41 (old 402)? if so I thought they both were originally B6LE's which then got upgraded to Mercs. May be some new full size would be better employed on the 45 or 46 then

Still need some new full size single decks though surely?

The 40 is the old 410 and the 41 is the old 414. The old 401 is now the 43 and the old 402 is now the 42.

Mike K

Quote from: The Rat on July 07, 2013, 04:47:20 PM
I see so, bringing it back home; The 45/47 will be just 'Pershore Road - Every 5 Minutes to Cotteridge' (then the via points)

I can see the PR going branded, but I doubt the BR will. And I dont think the BR will be gold either - it doesn't deserve it.

I know what you mean about the Bristol Rd and anti-social behaviour Rat. Unfortunately if this were used as a basis for allocating new vehicles, many core routes out of Birmingham would still be run using clapped out old deckers. Oh, hang on a minute...  ;)

Seriously though, I think the Bristol Road is one of the most high profile corridors in the city. When you consider that it competes with the cross city line but still has a 5 min frequency, serves Birmingham Uni and much of the student area of the City etc. It hasn't seen any investment for more than 10 years and even then the Jubilee Line branding was short lived.

Surely it must be a strong candidate for new vehicles soon. Anyone know what would distinguish 'gold' corridors? Free wifi, cool air conditioning, better seating etc? Or just newer buses? Or just buses where they periodically remove the fag burns and window etching (some
of the 14 branded Tridents look like they've got obscured bathroom / toilet glazing the etching is that bad)?

And I agree with you re the branding. Some variation in styles would help, but unfortunately NXWM branding is always going to be limited by the current livery, the red front of the bus which doesn't go well with many colour coded brandings, and the insistence on the presence of advert frames on everything except Hybrids. Route branding works best where it isn't squashed into one small section of the bus to accommodate adverts, but I appreciate advertising is a source of income to NX.

On a positive note, credit where it's due for the current amounts of investment in new and refurbished buses by NXWM.

uniquicity

Quote from: JackC on July 07, 2013, 08:14:53 PM
Quote from: Winston on July 07, 2013, 08:04:03 PM
WB:

The 40 is the old 410 and the 41 is the old 414. The old 401 is now the 43 and the old 402 is now the 42.

The current Enviro200s are fine for the 40, with a 12 minute frequency and Diamond also on the route.

42 and 43 should be full size single decks. Not sure about the 45. Enviro200s are fine for the 46. 47/47A will eventually get Enviro200s. 48 needs deckers. 49 is fine with full size single decks with a 20 minute frequency.

winston

Quote from: JackC on July 07, 2013, 08:14:53 PM

[/quote]

ta for that, things much clearer now  ;)

I was proposing new double deckers for Dudley Rd group of services
New E200's to oust all remaining B6LE & Darts
A small batch of new bull size single deckers to upgrade the 40 & one of 42-46 routes whichever is the busiest
Further Presidents to see off all remaining Mercs

Although WB's fleet is in need of updating en masse, it can't all be replaced over a two year period, what I'm already suggesting would be somewhere in the region of 55 new vehicles, which is already on the over optimistic side (25 new double deckers, 18/19 x E200's & 12 ish new full size single deckers)

winston

Quote from: Mike K on July 07, 2013, 08:15:36 PM
Surely it must be a strong candidate for new vehicles soon. Anyone know what would distinguish 'gold' corridors? Free wifi, cool air conditioning, better seating etc? Or just newer buses? Or just buses where they periodically remove the fag burns and window etching (some
of the 14 branded Tridents look like they've got obscured bathroom / toilet glazing the etching is that bad)?

On a positive note, credit where it's due for the current amounts of investment in new and refurbished buses by NXWM.

Infrastructure wise, 'Gold' Corridors would result in more bus priorities, new shelters/timetable information / real time display etc. As you say, I'd have thought something extra would be adding to the buses themselves over & above the buses being new/nearly new

NX/NXWM have their faults, but you can't really knock the about of investment they are currently ploughing in to the UK bus at the moment......

Trident 4609

If WN say had Some new E400's for the 126 then they could then withdraw Spectras.

WN could have some E200 as you say for the 26/27/A/28/25/A/62/A etc

Also they could order some more B7RLE's for WB to replace Mercs.

Sh4318

I think the next WB corridor that should be upgrade is Soho Road, they've had ALX400s for nearly 10 years now. 48 needs deckers to complement the 129, I imagine the 83/89 will be converted to full DD when cascaded doubles arrive
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

uniquicity

Quote from: Shaun4166 on July 07, 2013, 09:57:23 PM
I think the next WB corridor that should be upgrade is Soho Road, they've had ALX400s for nearly 10 years now. 48 needs deckers to complement the 129, I imagine the 83/89 will be converted to full DD when cascaded doubles arrive

My notes say the 74 was converted from Mercs to ALX400 in April / May 2008.

PM

Quote from: Trident 4609 on July 07, 2013, 09:29:13 PM
If WN say had Some new E400's for the 126 then they could then withdraw Spectras.

Or WN could have no new buses for about 10 years that would be fair considering the amount of investment that has been made over there when people of West Bromwich/South Birmingham are using far older, rusting buses that need replacing. WN should have no new buses at the moment. To be honest, can't even understand why people even think WN should have new buses at the moment-are people not grateful for the many b7rles/hybrids that have arrived very recently

Sh4318

Quote from: uniquicity on July 07, 2013, 10:06:22 PM
Quote from: Shaun4166 on July 07, 2013, 09:57:23 PM

My notes say the 74 was converted from Mercs to ALX400 in April / May 2008.

I was referring to the 79
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

winston

Quote from: Peter123 on July 07, 2013, 10:07:49 PM
Quote from: Trident 4609 on July 07, 2013, 09:29:13 PM

Or WN could have no new buses for about 10 years that would be fair considering the amount of investment that has been made over there when people of West Bromwich/South Birmingham are using far older, rusting buses that need replacing. WN should have no new buses at the moment. To be honest, can't even understand why people even think WN should have new buses at the moment-are people not grateful for the many b7rles/hybrids that have arrived very recently

The only reason I'd suggested new buses for WN was to upgrade the 126 as part of the Hagley Road becoming a potential 'Gold Corridor' and some new Midi's to replace the B6LE as there is nothing suitable from the existing fleet to cascade unless you moved the ALX 200's?

My upgrade/allocation proposals move than cover Sandwell & South Birmingham

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk