News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

copy protection options

Started by windy miller, October 22, 2012, 05:55:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

windy miller

When a website administrator publishes his/her work on the web...how can they protect their work from the usual ignorant 'right-click-copy-paste' mentality? I notice most, (but not all,) of tonys photographs, esp BUSES, are not EASILY copied.....that would deter most would-be copiers, although obviously not all...do you load an app of some kind ? or am I missing something obvious....let me know.. thanks. :-\
Mind the Gap.....?:-)

Tomjusttom

Some websites use HTML coding to prohibit it., some people like me who use gallery sites like Smugmug have a option in the control panel to again prohibit it. A easy workround however is to use a mobile device to get round them.

An example bit of code

<SCRIPT language=JavaScript>
<!-- http://www.spacegun.co.uk -->
var message = "function disabled";
function rtclickcheck(keyp){ if (navigator.appName == "Netscape" && keyp.which == 3){ alert(message); return false; }
if (navigator.appVersion.indexOf("MSIE") != -1 && event.button == 2) { alert(message); return false; } }
document.onmousedown = rtclickcheck;
</SCRIPT>

MW

Google "right click protection HTML" or similar. You get a code and have it on every page and it disables right click. It just makes copying harder but it's still possible. All you do is print screen it and bobs your uncle, or open the page source and find the direct link to the full size photo.

Badger

Other than adding a watermark there is absolutely no way to stop it. This is because to show an image the computer has to first download it. In a way by viewing an image a user has already took it.

Disabling right clicking can stop people who don't know any more, but it also makes it difficult for some users to use the computer - accessibility and all that.

The best way is simply to ask people not to, explicitly on every page. Ok, it won't stop everybody, but will at least stop people who aren't doing it to cause harm and might tell them that while their intentions might be good it's not what you want them to do.

I'd imagine most people who know how to copy images also know how to print screen.

Also, you could name your file names something like

brian_blessed_583.jpg

That way if your image is saved and shared around, there's a chance your name is still in the file name, which means somebody more admirable straying upon it can then see who took it.

Not sure any other ways.
My local's the 3 and 63.
Casual bus user. Doesn't know much other than some buses look nicer than others.
Contractual web developer, self employed game designer/programmer, Wolverhampton bjorn and bread.

Badger

If you think an image is stolen:

-> right click, and click "properties", and right-click-copy the address of the image
-> go to www.google.com
-> click the camera in the search box
-> right-click-paste the address of the image and press enter

Google will show you any other sites with the same image or images very similar.
My local's the 3 and 63.
Casual bus user. Doesn't know much other than some buses look nicer than others.
Contractual web developer, self employed game designer/programmer, Wolverhampton bjorn and bread.

Isle of Stroma

Quite simply, there is NO way to prevent image downloading, including right-click downloading or whatever else. Watermarking defeats the object as all you are doing is spoiling the enjoyment of legitimate viewers.

You also have to take into account benign legitimate downloading.  If you want to maintain copyright of ANY image (regardless of benign use or rip-off merchants) DON'T upload it!

ilovetea4370

Since I've restarted my flickr I have been watermarking all my photos with my username. People say it spoils the viewing but as long as you can see what it is, I dont see why it would spoil it for anyone, unless they intended to use the photo! Besides if you just do it on the corner of the bus so it can't be cropped off, and you can still see most of the bus anyway, then you should be fine.

NXWM Spectra

Is there a way to stop mobile devices from downloading the image?

On my phone, its very easy to long press the image and gives you the option to save the image to the phone..

Badger

There's no way at all. If the user can view it, they can manipulate it. The image is already downloaded, all that happens when a user long presses or right click saves, is that the file is moved from Temp to a proper directory.

It's not just mobile devices though. Javascript is an optional feature of a browser, so any of the things above only apply if a user, browser, or device has javascript.
My local's the 3 and 63.

windy miller

Thanks everyone! I think 4370 has a good point, the idea of watermarking each picture is by far the easiest deterrent... I was under the (mistaken) :-[ impression that IF a pic is copied then a simple task of cropping the photo would remove the watermark...I have just realised that any amount of 'crop' placed on ANY pic/photo doesn't remove the mark...regardless of where you put it...I have watermarked all my rail photos so far..but I notice its not something that tony does with his photo's..? Do you think he should? Many thanks for the advice. W/m

ilovetea4370

I definately think Tony should, I have seen some of Tony's photos on flickr under another profile (I believe he is aware) but I suppose it is personal choice. It could just be the idea of watermarking thousands of photo's which puts him off! Regardless of cropping and disabling Right Click options, if you can simply see a photo on your screen then you can steal it if you wanted to, there are many tricks and if someone really wants a photo they can get it! I would say if you are going to put photographs online, make sure you have something in place to prevent theft and misuse.

Tony

Quote from: trident4370 on October 23, 2012, 10:31:56 AM
I definately think Tony should, I have seen some of Tony's photos on flickr under another profile (I believe he is aware) but I suppose it is personal choice. It could just be the idea of watermarking thousands of photo's which puts him off! Regardless of cropping and disabling Right Click options, if you can simply see a photo on your screen then you can steal it if you wanted to, there are many tricks and if someone really wants a photo they can get it! I would say if you are going to put photographs online, make sure you have something in place to prevent theft and misuse.

I don't like watermarking, specially if it covers part of the main subject. Some people also do lift photographs of my website legitimately for use and watermarking may make them less usuable for them as well. You will see photographs from my website turning up in NX literature quite often.

As several people on here will tell you, if asked, I always allow use of my photos. I don't like people just copying them without asking to make their own internet displays look better and would be a bit p***ed off if I found someone printing them off and selling them for their own profit, but I have no problem with anyoneone taking them for their own use

Stu

I used one of Tony's photos for my 'cover photo' on my West Midlands Bus Users Facebook page, but was polite enough to ask Tony for permission first of course, which he gladly allowed, and I gladly acknowledged. It doesn't hurt to ask nicely, rather than steal, especially when you see people passing off others' hard work as their own.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

ilovetea4370

I suppose that is one drawback of watermarking, but this website is far more popular than most so I suppose it is the first port of call for anyone needing a bus photo! Really this should not be an issue but the reality is not everyone is as honest as they should be out there. I have seen a few incidents of photo theft lately and it just makes me even more cautious and protective of my photo's!

windy miller

Badger.can you explain this 'Long press ' option? .Its not an expression I have heard of....incidentally, the option to click on 'properties' to view the author information would presuppose your right click actually gave you a dialogue box to look at in the first place.. ::)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk