News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Cannock Garage

Started by sconehead85, September 15, 2012, 04:16:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westy

Quote from: l.murphy123 on July 13, 2019, 01:21:01 PM
Does it go down roads with no other buses or is it the 29 route?

Mainly the 29, apart from Field Rd where it operates both ways rather than the 29's one way loop.

Westy

Oh & the stops screen  need to be switched off as well, as they haven't been updated either!

Bob

Quote from: BusMan Greg on July 11, 2019, 08:54:34 PM
It's been known for years that people stick to their ways, thus passengers don't straight away revert to the X51 as an alternative route to work etc after using the 2/351 for years. Many a time I have seen the 2 and the 1 leave with full buses and the X51 leaving with fresh air.

Ive also seen the X51 leave Cannock with more passengers than the 1!

BusMan Greg

Quote from: Bob on July 13, 2019, 03:42:55 PM
Ive also seen the X51 leave Cannock with more passengers than the 1!
It varies from day to day but overall the 1/2 picks up more passengers than the X51

Tony

Quote from: BusMan Greg on July 13, 2019, 07:01:57 PM
It varies from day to day but overall the 1/2 picks up more passengers than the X51

You can not possibly know That

BusMan Greg

Quote from: Tony on July 13, 2019, 07:29:30 PM
You can not possibly know That
Every bus service's passenger numbers vary from day to day, EVERY BUS SERVICE. That's just common sence @Tony

Tony

Quote from: BusMan Greg on July 13, 2019, 08:02:28 PM
Every bus service's passenger numbers vary from day to day, EVERY BUS SERVICE. That's just common sence @Tony

Correct, which is why I said you couldn't possibly know which service is doing better. Only the companies will know passenger numbers from the ticket machine data.

BusMan Greg

Quote from: Tony on July 13, 2019, 08:05:32 PM
Correct, which is why I said you couldn't possibly know which service is doing better. Only the companies will know passenger numbers from the ticket machine data.
From observation the 2 is doing better, that's my point

winston

Quote from: BusMan Greg on July 13, 2019, 08:02:28 PM

It wasn't the 'pointing out of the obvious' about passengers numbers varying day to day....

It was your statement "but overall the 1/2 picks up more passengers" Tony's picking you up on, i.e. unless you watch each & every departure of both services, you can't possibly know.

Tony

Quote from: Winston on July 13, 2019, 08:09:00 PM
It wasn't the 'pointing out of the obvious' about passengers numbers varying day to day....

It was your statement "but overall the 1/2 picks up more passengers" Tony's picking you up on, i.e. unless you watch each & every departure of both services, you can't possibly know.

And even watching every departure doesn't give the full picture. A service may leave a bus station with less passengers, but pick up more than another route along the line of route

winston

Quote from: Tony on July 13, 2019, 08:34:30 PM
And even watching every departure doesn't give the full picture. A service may leave a bus station with less passengers, but pick up more than another route along the line of route

Plus, you would expect Arriva to be picking up more passengers, as they are now more frequent Mon-Fri than the X51. But at the same time, it's now costing Arriva more money to run the 1 Mon - Fri, so bums on seats doesn't give any clue on financial performance or who's winning the war.

Westy

I just don't see the fascination for running buses down roads, where there is a more than adequate service.

The only advantage personally for me, for the 1, is that no one else will catch it, so it gets into town quicker, plus if the 31/32 vehicles are already full, or occasionally late, I can nip over to the 1 stop & catch that instead.

There must be enough passengers on the 1 to make it pay, else they would've changed the basic route more often, in fact until recently, the physical route on Service 1 has only changed twice, once to swop with the 2 to serve Turnberry & my bit of Leamore & once to swap back.

The 2 seems to have the problems, in my opinion.

If the Blakenall routing doesn't work, what next?

I've made suggestions on various threads, what to do with the TfWM subsidised sections, but what about the Staffs sections, especially now NX has joined in the fray?

Could the 2 be truncated at Bloxwich, forcing passengers to change? Maybe only as a last resort?

Busman Jamie

Personally with the number 1 I would of had it continue straight down green lane and if timed right, it could get in front of the 69/70/70A, I think there's too many buses that go through leamore, regular 31/32 services with the 1&X51 also going there, somerfield Lane has no bus at all now since the changes

Westy

Quote from: Busman Jamie on July 13, 2019, 10:34:01 PM
Personally with the number 1 I would of had it continue straight down green lane and if timed right, it could get in front of the 69/70/70A, I think there's too many buses that go through leamore, regular 31/32 services with the 1&X51 also going there, somerfield Lane has no bus at all now since the changes

But they want bums on seats!

I'm surprised the 69 etc still runs the same route because after Birchills, there's only factories, until you get to Sainsburys.

What would stop a route serving Green Lane,Birchills, Bentley Lane, Reedswood Way, loop Sainsburys, Beechdale, Leamore Lane, KFC, Somerfield Road then Bloxwich?

Bob

Quote from: BusMan Greg on July 13, 2019, 07:01:57 PM

Not so sure tbf esp re the 2

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk