News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Pensnett Garage

Started by winston, April 09, 2012, 04:51:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trident 4194

s94

Further article about the 297/289 in this weeks Stourbridge News. Mention of a possible Dudley review next year too.

http://www.stourbridgenews.co.uk/news/blackcountry/11548597.Dudley_Wood_bus_passengers_face_a_long_haul_to_hospital/

I still really dont believe the 289 should be re extended. Having the 241 go along Coppice Lane/Quarry Road/Old Hill would be much better although still not provide the direct link to Russells Hall.

the trainbasher

They think they run the country. They need to learn to change buses. Typical politician being a rent a quote.

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

s94

Chaos apparently today around Merry Hill due to temporary traffic lights in operation till Saturday at the Boulevard/Coppice Lane. Buses diverted via Mill Street and Mount Pleasant I have read for a time too?

Reports were saying it was taking upto 45 minutes just to leave Merry Hill!

Are these works in relation to those taking place on the Pedmore Road?

winston

Quote from: s94 on October 29, 2014, 10:40:28 PM
Chaos apparently today around Merry Hill due to temporary traffic lights in operation till Saturday at the Boulevard/Coppice Lane. Buses diverted via Mill Street and Mount Pleasant I have read for a time too?

The radio report I heard said it as taking 45 min+ just to get out of the multistory let alone out of Merry Hill.

At one point, I thought they were still meant to be introducing bus lanes/bus priorities despite the bus station not getting the go-ahead, don't know if this is still a possibility. The Pedmore Rd re-alignment seems to be to provide crossing points

s94

Quote from: Winston on October 29, 2014, 11:18:33 PM

The radio report I heard said it as taking 45 min+ just to get out of the multistory let alone out of Merry Hill.

At one point, I thought they were still meant to be introducing bus lanes/bus priorities despite the bus station not getting the go-ahead, don't know if this is still a possibility. The Pedmore Rd re-alignment seems to be to provide crossing points
Indeed, the Pedmore Road scheme is for a new crossing.

I thought they had mentioned the Boulevard/Coppice Lane junction lights being re timed for bus priority but I may be wrong on that. It probably is just general maintenance being done as having them re timed wouldn't need 4 days of them being out of action I would imagine. However lane numbers are reduced apparently also at the minute, not helping the scenario.

Chaotic few days ahead!

winston

Quote from: s94 on October 29, 2014, 11:22:33 PM
Quote from: Winston on October 29, 2014, 11:18:33 PM

Indeed, the Pedmore Road scheme is for a new crossing.

I thought they had mentioned the Boulevard/Coppice Lane junction lights being re timed for bus priority but I may be wrong on that. It probably is just general maintenance being done as having them re timed wouldn't need 4 days of them being out of action I would imagine. However lane numbers are reduced apparently also, not helping the scenario.

Chaotic few days ahead!

Steer well clear me thinks....

don

Quote from: NXDom on October 20, 2014, 03:52:30 PM
Quote from: Winston on October 20, 2014, 11:13:17 AM
Quote from: karl724223 on October 20, 2014, 10:56:41 AM
So where was the passengers when it ran ????????????????????????

Same old, same old!

People don't use it when it's there, but complain when it's gone.....
You don't know what you have until it has gone springs to mind.

That song's about yellow taxis, not buses!! However is it unfair to say it wasn't used - presumably it wasn't used enough to warrant NXWM keeping it going. However the real culprit is crazy local government and NHS boundaries requiring for instance people from Old Hill and Cradley Heath to go to Sandwell Hosptial and people from Stourbridge and Halesowen to go to Russell's Hall hospital, Dudley. Sensible public transport links are a necessity so the residents do have a point - it shouldn't be beyond the wit of a professional operator like NXWM to devise an extension of route at the core times (eg core appointment or visiting time at the hospital and return) to resolve this - a bit of subsidy from Centro may be needed. Sounds like Diamond or someone else could create a PR good news story here and win a lot of favour 😉
Bustimes.org - armchair bus chasing at its best
wmbusphotos.com - armchair bus spotting and news at its best.

Current 'special passenger validation' permit held.

the trainbasher

Quote from: don on October 30, 2014, 12:36:08 AM.....
However the real culprit is crazy local government

Local government crazy? Think again...

Quote from: don on October 30, 2014, 12:36:08 AM.....it shouldn't be beyond the wit of a professional operator like NXWM to devise an extension of route at the core times (eg core appointment or visiting time at the hospital and return) to resolve this - a bit of subsidy from Centro may be needed.

So what you're saying is that even if NXWM lose money on it, and are unable to cover the costs of running the route they should be forced to run it? It's like saying that Tesco should be forced to keep a store in the middle of nowhere open just to throw good money after bad away. And centro have said that it's not socially necessary so why do they need a replacement, unless the local residents are willing to pay for it themselves?

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

don

Quote from: the trainbasher on October 30, 2014, 01:02:56 AM
Quote from: don on October 30, 2014, 12:36:08 AM.....
However the real culprit is crazy local government

Local government crazy? Think again...

Quote from: don on October 30, 2014, 12:36:08 AM.....it shouldn't be beyond the wit of a professional operator like NXWM to devise an extension of route at the core times (eg core appointment or visiting time at the hospital and return) to resolve this - a bit of subsidy from Centro may be needed.

So what you're saying is that even if NXWM lose money on it, and are unable to cover the costs of running the route they should be forced to run it? It's like saying that Tesco should be forced to keep a store in the middle of nowhere open just to throw good money after bad away. And centro have said that it's not socially necessary so why do they need a replacement, unless the local residents are willing to pay for it themselves?

It was intended to mean crazy local government boundaries as well as NHS boundaries. Dudley and Sandwell MBC boundaries were basically drawn up in 1974 and widely at the time thought to have an element of craziness (some may say political expedient) attached to them.

As for the bus service accessibility is a core transport objective and hospitals are both a core service we all have to use and a major traffic generator - what evidence is there to suggest a properly thought out service from that general area is not viable. And centros budgets have been cut (as with all public services) by central government so their priorities have to change to reflect that. And yes NXWM has its profit margin to consider (some may regard this as a daft way to provide a public service though).i suspect a proper transport study rather than chasing passengers around based on short term usage studies and reviews would be a far better way of achieving transport objectives - the London model may well expand if regional devolution becomes a reality.

I am doubtful the matter concerning these Russell's Hall services has been dealt with in a thorough manner - but as you say if NXWM can't make a profit then that's a problem - however NXWMs reputation is done a disservice also by the bad publicity - I wonder whether the amount they were losing is outweighed by the reputation damage?
Bustimes.org - armchair bus chasing at its best
wmbusphotos.com - armchair bus spotting and news at its best.

Current 'special passenger validation' permit held.

bususer12

A quick win would be for the 244 to interwork with the 205, similar to Hansons did the 226/X26, where customers can remain on in the Bus station, on go on to the Hospital from Halesowen and Old Hill. Retiming required, but no extra resource, and a Monday-Saturday daytime solution

Niall

Just got off 2083 on a 9 to Birmingham, haven't been on such a full bus for a long time - driver was asking people not to crowd around the front,  saying it could fit 60 standing. It's now doing one of the 9Es to Halesowen.
I'm on Flickr and Youtube

the trainbasher

Looks like 1647 is going nowhere due to someone who I suspect is being disruptive or is injured. It's currently parked in the middle at merry hill with intu security dealing with it. It's currently showing on the front 276 Stourbridge.

Edit: An ambulance has arrived which I suspect is dealing.

s94

Now Merry Hill is opening late again till midnight in the run up to Christmas this year, will there be extra late buses on services on services like the 141, 276, 4M like last year?

Any news on this?

Stuharris 6360

When were 1543 & 1616 withdrawn
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk