News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Query about "The Rules"

Started by Abluhwleh, August 29, 2012, 05:53:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashley

I know, it was a Pensnett driver at the Wollaston terminus of the 276 who for some reason had to reverse a B6 when he had miles of room and he told the last passenger to get off so he could reverse. I thought has he ever stood in Walsall bus station lol

BU07 LGO

It's true! I went in to WB garage with a friend to collect lost property and saw it on the notice board!

richie

Quote from: Michael on August 31, 2012, 05:22:37 AM
Quote from: Ashley on August 30, 2012, 11:28:52 PM
Theres another rule about passengers not being allowed on vehicles when they are reversing, however that happens quite often

I find that hard to believe, what about places like Hull Interchange where buses must pull into bays and then reverse when loaded, and Digbeth Coach Station (the old temp one, not seen the new one)

I am not 100 percent sure but i think it is against psv rules to reverse with passengers on along the public highway

x68

Richie is right Reversing is allowed at bus stations as it is not public highhway but not allowed on public roads

Tony

Quote from: richie on August 31, 2012, 03:13:34 PM
Theres another rule about passengers not being allowed on vehicles when they are reversing, however that happens quite often

I find that hard to believe, what about places like Hull Interchange where buses must pull into bays and then reverse when loaded, and Digbeth Coach Station (the old temp one, not seen the new one)

I am not 100 percent sure but i think it is against psv rules to reverse with passengers on along the public highway

Not quite correct. Reversing is allowed on the public highway as long as there is a conductor, or other competant person at the rear of the vehicle. Several Bus Stations where reversing is done now employ someone to aid reversing, two examples of this in the Midlands are Newcastle under Lyme and Derby

vinh1000

Quote from: Tony on August 31, 2012, 05:12:41 PM

Not quite correct. Reversing is allowed on the public highway as long as there is a conductor, or other competant person at the rear of the vehicle. Several Bus Stations where reversing is done now employ someone to aid reversing, two examples of this in the Midlands are Newcastle under Lyme and Derby
Is that why sometimes in city when buses are reversing always an inspector / route manager helping them out?
Vinny - frequent bus traveller :-)

HELEN - http://mb-web.co.uk/heleninstaller_3.3.msi
Manual:
Mobitec: http://mb-web.co.uk/MIE.zip

Tony

Quote from: vinh1000 on August 31, 2012, 05:47:43 PM
Quote from: Tony on August 31, 2012, 05:12:41 PM

Is that why sometimes in city when buses are reversing always an inspector / route manager helping them out?
Yes

j_rp_wright

Perhaps for buses? But not sure if it's different for coaches as I do many route where you have to reverse to turn around etc... And no one to watch my back.

Tony

Quote from: j_rp_wright on August 31, 2012, 06:05:39 PM
Perhaps for buses? But not sure if it's different for coaches as I do many route where you have to reverse to turn around etc... And no one to watch my back.

1.8 Reversing
Reversing is a hazardous operation and should only be carried out when there
is no alternative and then for as short a distance as possible. You should never
reverse a vehicle onto a public road unless it is entirely unavoidable and should
never reverse a passenger carrying vehicle which is carrying passengers.
That appears to apply to coaches as well as buses

Tomjusttom

Quote from: Tony on August 31, 2012, 06:17:09 PM

1.8 Reversing
is no alternative and then for as short a distance as possible. You should never
reverse a vehicle onto a public road unless it is entirely unavoidable and should

Try telling that to Stagecoach! It's part of one of the routes down in Canterbury where a (usually) Volvo Olympian has to reverse into another road then continue back going along the way he came! Service 11 Canterbury to Westwood Bus Depot in a place called Wickhambeaux.

To clarify i have attached a map of the area. The bus comes along Nargate Street/Wickham Road then continues along. The road then becomes Grove Road. It then reverses into Wickham Court Lane then turns right then hrads along Wickham Lane to Ickham and Wingham.

Tony

Last time I was down there it just went around the triangle in the town centre to turn around

richie

Can't remember the road name but it was on the 4 in Coventry in the stoke aldermoor area near to the Peugeot factory 9 times out of ten you would always meet the 4 coming the other way and have to reverse back out the road

Tony

Quote from: Tomjusttom on August 31, 2012, 07:46:41 PM

1.8 Reversing

Try telling that to Stagecoach! It's part of one of the routes down in Canterbury where a (usually) Volvo Olympian has to reverse into another road then continue back going along the way he came! Service 11 Canterbury to Westwood Bus Depot in a place called Wickhambeaux.

To clarify i have attached a map of the area. The bus comes along Nargate Street/Wickham Road then continues along. The road then becomes Grove Road. It then reverses into Wickham Court Lane then turns right then hrads along Wickham Lane to Ickham and Wingham.

It is registered to come up Wickham Road, around the triangle at the top of Wickham Road, back onto Wickham Road, left onto Wickham Lane. Not go up Grove Lane. The bus stop in the village is outside the Rose Public House which is on the top of the Triangle. Whether part of the triangle was closed causing the diversion you are referring to I don't know, but it is not a regular reversal. I don't believe VOSA would accept a reversal on a registration unless there was assistance or it was not a 'one man operated route'

Tomjusttom

Quote from: Tony on September 01, 2012, 05:19:33 PM

1.8 Reversing

It is registered to come up Wickham Road, around the triangle at the top of Wickham Road, back onto Wickham Road, left onto Wickham Lane. Not go up Grove Lane. The bus stop in the village is outside the Rose Public House which is on the top of the Triangle. Whether part of the triangle was closed causing the diversion you are referring to I don't know, but it is not a regular reversal. I don't believe VOSA would accept a reversal on a registration unless there was assistance or it was not a 'one man operated route'

How come over the last 4 years it had done what i descried as current service 11 and its previous incarnation the 622. And no the triangle had not been shut. And i should know this as whenever i am in that area i have deliberately caught it.

Tony

Quote from: Tomjusttom on September 02, 2012, 12:09:44 PM
Quote from: Tony on September 01, 2012, 05:19:33 PM

1.8 Reversing

How come over the last 4 years it had done what i descried as current service 11 and its previous incarnation the 622. And no the triangle had not been shut. And i should know this as whenever i am in that area i have deliberately caught it.

Click on this link http://www.travelfor.co.uk/Kent/Wickhambreaux/
and the little map that appears will show you every single bus stop in Kent, last one is on the triangle. I did get the route map up yesterday as well, but cannot find it again today

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk