News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Query about "The Rules"

Started by Abluhwleh, August 29, 2012, 05:53:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abluhwleh

Hi All

Just a quick question. A bus driver (who shall remain anonymous), did a cool thing today. He was running out of service, and since we'd been waiting over 25 minutes without seeing a bus at all due to roadworks, he stopped and offered to take us along. Now I was thinking that I'd write a letter to the bus company concerned, trying to get one of the good ones some recognition. But the question in all of this is, would he get recognition and praise, or would he cop trouble for picking up passengers while not in service?

Marc

j_rp_wright

Your not insured to travel on an out of service bus... He would get in trouble for doing so..

richie

National express would commendate the driver for it and the bus is insured passengers in or out of service

Tony

Quote from: j_rp_wright on August 29, 2012, 06:15:15 PM
Your not insured to travel on an out of service bus... He would get in trouble for doing so..

Also a lot depends on why he was running out of service. It is possible an inspector has told him to run dead to get back on time to a certain point, but if he sees queues come back into service earlier

Abluhwleh

Thanks a lot for the replies so far. Obviously I don't quite know why he was out of service in the first place, but he definitely didn't re-enter service. Luckily enough (for me that is), the passenger after me was a very abusive little, errrr, person, and he closed the doors, drove on and I got my own little, two passenger, unique express service! And yes Ritchie, the driver works for NXWM.

j_rp_wright

That's true Tony. So when a bus is out if service are passengers 'legally' still allowed on the bus? I know the bus is still insured with public liability. When I used to drive Inspectors told me I wasn't allowed due to insurance but perhaps this was said to foil any attempts?

andy

Quote from: j_rp_wright on August 29, 2012, 07:53:41 PM
That's true Tony. So when a bus is out if service are passengers 'legally' still allowed on the bus? I know the bus is still insured with public liability. When I used to drive Inspectors told me I wasn't allowed due to insurance but perhaps this was said to foil any attempts?

A lot of what is said about this is mythical. If the bus is running dead along a road that is a registered bus route with that operator, and carries passengers, they are insured. If there was an incident the operator can claim that the vehicle was operating a duplicate, which they can do as long as it is running within so many minutes of a scheduled journey. (I don't know how many)

They are also insured if the vehicle leaves the registered route as long as it is an official or instructed diversion.

They are not insured, however, if the bus is running dead on roads that are not on a registered route for that operator or on an official or instructed diversion....ie....running dead to or from garage or a school to commence service as an example.

Tony

Quote from: andy on August 29, 2012, 09:13:28 PM

A lot of what is said about this is mythical. If the bus is running dead along a road that is a registered bus route with that operator, and carries passengers, they are insured. If there was an incident the operator can claim that the vehicle was operating a duplicate, which they can do as long as it is running within so many minutes of a scheduled journey. (I don't know how many)

They are also insured if the vehicle leaves the registered route as long as it is an official or instructed diversion.

They are not insured, however, if the bus is running dead on roads that are not on a registered route for that operator or on an official or instructed diversion....ie....running dead to or from garage or a school to commence service as an example.

How does anyone, other than the people who arrange the insurance at the company know what the policy is.

For a start most large companies are 'self insured' for a lot of incidences and just have to make a deposit in case of failure to honour any claims deemd to be the company's responsability.

I have no idea what the details of NXWMs insurance is, but could just as easily be arranged with the broker to be any vehicle at any time on a public highway, which I suspect is the most likely.

vinh1000

Quote from: Tony on August 29, 2012, 09:24:54 PM
Quote from: andy on August 29, 2012, 09:13:28 PM

How does anyone, other than the people who arrange the insurance at the company know what the policy is.

For a start most large companies are 'self insured' for a lot of incidences and just have to make a deposit in case of failure to honour any claims deemd to be the company's responsability.

I have no idea what the details of NXWMs insurance is, but could just as easily be arranged with the broker to be any vehicle at any time on a public highway, which I suspect is the most likely.
Been on one also OOS (running dead as special back to a point) and they also say they aren't insured to carry when OOS
Same with The Green Bus when I use them to go back home (because last service say 64 is 17:30 and it runs back to the petrol station which is opposite my house it makes sense to get a direct service there instead of interchanging with the 46 in city centre) and depot is in hockley where I live so alll good around just that the driver says I am liable if i injure myself
Vinny - frequent bus traveller :-)

HELEN - http://mb-web.co.uk/heleninstaller_3.3.msi
Manual:
Mobitec: http://mb-web.co.uk/MIE.zip

richie

Nxwm self insure all of their vehicles whether they are owned leased or non pcv that's what the third tax disc is on the older vehicles.

Simply 'Not In Service' means 'Not In Service' regardless of insurance, inspectors etc I do not know about any discipline or praise but I certainly wouldn't recomend doing it!!!
Enviro 200 Rebels......Venturing Out Into New Territory's!!

DC3

Insurance covers the vehicle in the same way your car is, regardless of route or road it is covered.

dayvid

DO NOT WRITE IN. he/she may get into trouble. When in doubt keep out.

Ashley

Theres another rule about passengers not being allowed on vehicles when they are reversing, however that happens quite often

MW

Quote from: Ashley on August 30, 2012, 11:28:52 PM
Theres another rule about passengers not being allowed on vehicles when they are reversing, however that happens quite often

I find that hard to believe, what about places like Hull Interchange where buses must pull into bays and then reverse when loaded, and Digbeth Coach Station (the old temp one, not seen the new one)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk