News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Volvo Chassis'

Started by Badger, August 20, 2012, 03:51:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Badger

Forgive me for being new, but where do the names of Volvo chassis' come from? I.e. B10, B6, B7.

I assumed they were sizes or something, but Wikipedia says the B7 was the successor to the B10 for example.

Then, what are the -B, -R, -L, -LE letters at the end?

Thanks.
My local's the 3 and 63.
Casual bus user. Doesn't know much other than some buses look nicer than others.
Contractual web developer, self employed game designer/programmer, Wolverhampton bjorn and bread.

winston

Quote from: Badger on August 20, 2012, 03:51:49 PM
Forgive me for being new, but where do the names of Volvo chassis' come from? I.e. B10, B6, B7.

I assumed they were sizes or something, but Wikipedia says the B7 was the successor to the B10 for example.

Then, what are the -B, -R, -L, -LE letters at the end?

Thanks.

The Volvo Chassis numbering is based on the engine capacity, i.e. B7RLE have 7 litre engines, while B9TL have 9 litre engines etc

John

Quote from: Winston on August 20, 2012, 04:44:37 PM
The Volvo Chassis numbering is based on the engine capacity, i.e. B7RLE have 7 litre engines, while B9TL have 9 litre engines etc

Thats what i thought, doesn't the R in RLE mean rear engined, as the B10M is mid engined?

I think RE might mean low entry as in low floor.

Not sure what the L as in B10L or B in B10B stands for though.

winston

Quote from: John-s-91 on August 20, 2012, 04:57:16 PM

Thats what i thought, doesn't the R in RLE mean rear engined, as the B10M is mid engined?

Yes, and T as in B7TL or B9TL is transverse engined

Tony

Quote from: John-s-91 on August 20, 2012, 04:57:16 PM

I think RE might mean low entry as in low floor.

Not sure what the L as in B10L or B in B10B stands for though.

Yes L (as in B10L or B7L as per Y722CJW ex 1481) or LE (as in B10BLE; B6BLE; B7RLE) means Low Entry.

B6s came in 3 different varieties. B6, old step entrance ones as per 116-119. B6LE (as per all other TWM ones), and the newer B6BLE (as per the University of Wolverhampton ones). as B means 'engine at back' and all other B6s have the engine at the back, I presume it was used for the newest model just to differentiate from older ones

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk