News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

The Wright Eclipse...

Started by nx4737, August 19, 2012, 11:17:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nx4737

Just been looking at the photo of Arriva 4020, the former Arriva London Gemini...

It really is hard to imagine that the Eclipse design is over 10 years old now!

I can't think of many other bus designs that has aged so well...

winston

The Spectra have also aged well and still look modern, especially with the LED's all round. The S/T reg ones now being 13/14 years old

Ashley

The Spectra design lasted 14/15 years if I'm right, didn't Reading Transport get the first ones. I know the last one went to Anglian Bus and is now in New Zealand

winston

Quote from: Ashley on August 19, 2012, 11:30:03 PM
The Spectra design lasted 14/15 years if I'm right, didn't Reading Transport get the first ones. I know the last one went to Anglian Bus and is now in New Zealand

Yes, forgot that they were in step entrance format prior to changing to low floor, I think the earliest ones that went Reading buses were K or L reg, which would make them approx 18/19 years old

Ashley

I know London Central had K reg ones which went to Go North East and are now scattered. I do like the design, it's lasted well and could be plausable to say the Metrobus design paved way towards low floor double deckers, that could be me going off on a tangent though.

Going back to the topic of the Wright Eclipse, why do Cannock have two parked up in their depot?

MW

Spectra's are hideous! I do agree that the Wright Eclipse design is good. It goes back to the late 90s, with some Wright Eclipse Fusions (bendybus) with First.

Y722 CJW looks very modern as well. An LED fitment would make it look like 1750-1787, although the rear is different.

Gareth

It was 1992 the first Spectra came out. I think it was the Jan 1992 issue of Buses magazine that had Reading's first on the cover as 'Metrobus reborn'

richie

I think Wright have always been infront with their models

Badger

There are some '99 eclipses (not Gemini) around Leicester with First, I presume they were named after the solar eclipse of '99 (since there's also a Wright Solar).

Spectras are a dated design in my opinion (but that's just opinions).. but they were around for 14 years, so if the eclipse holds out a bit longer it'll beat it.

The eclipse gemini was 2001.
My local's the 3 and 63.
Casual bus user. Doesn't know much other than some buses look nicer than others.
Contractual web developer, self employed game designer/programmer, Wolverhampton bjorn and bread.

MW

Quote from: Badger on August 20, 2012, 03:40:41 PM
There are some '99 eclipses (not Gemini) around Leicester with First, I presume they were named after the solar eclipse of '99 (since there's also a Wright Solar).

Spectras are a dated design in my opinion (but that's just opinions).. but they were around for 14 years, so if the eclipse holds out a bit longer it'll beat it.

The eclipse gemini was 2001.

The Eclipse design was heavily facelifted though in 2009-2010 so I wouldn't compare it with the Spectra. As you say, the Spectra design is and was dated, by the day the Plaxton President & Alexander ALX400 designs were revealed.

Mike K

I would disagree on the ALX400. I think it was boxy and dated when it was introduced and hasn't aged well since. The President bodywork looks more modern and still looks fairly good now. Considering the Spectra design is approaching 20 years old I think it also still looks good and has stood the test of time. But the most radical design of recent times must be the Eclipse Gemini and it still looks state of the art now, particularly with the Eclipse 2 refresh.

I agree with Richie re Wright's designs, particularly the more modern ones. The B10Ls still look modern and way ahead of the ugly boxy Merc 0405N in my opinion.

andy

I think the Eclipse, especially in Gemini form, is one of the most aesthetically pleasing designs ever and I can't ever see it looking dated. It should also get a special mention in terms of quality of fittings, very robust, not flimsy and plastic and very unusual to hear rattles or squeaks. Also very light and airy which is very important when it comes to passenger environment.  Probably the best modern bodywork design in my opinion. However from a driver's point of view it does have some evil blindspots!

BU07 LGO

I remember first seeing the Gemini demonstrator when i was a kid on the 16! It looked like it was from the future!

Also remember thinking it was an independant operator!

MW

Quote from: BU07 LGO on August 26, 2012, 08:43:40 PM
I remember first seeing the Gemini demonstrator when i was a kid on the 16! It looked like it was from the future!

The IKZ 8515 one. A bit like this? :)

MW

Quote from: Michael on August 27, 2012, 05:02:08 AM
Quote from: BU07 LGO on August 26, 2012, 08:43:40 PM

The IKZ 8515 one. A bit like this? :)

Just to add, looks like one of the R reg Dennis Darts, currently at WB, in the background operating from YW on the 35S.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk